Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Message
Author
ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1589
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

#31 Post by ghs » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:50 am

A few years ago I was in London and I met some guys from South America who were there
for a wine conference. I told them I was from Adelaide. They said yeah we know South Australia
that's where they make the best wine in the world.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!
Posts: 522
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:32 pm

Re: Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

#32 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:03 pm

Image

User avatar
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4581
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: Sydney
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

#33 Post by AtD » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:51 pm

Aidan wrote:But Australia is not becoming a service country.
Aidan wrote:But I can't name a single advanced economy that isn't dominated by services - can you :?:
So are we a services economy or aren't we? Make up your mind.

Services are where the big incomes are, which was the original point. About 70% of the country's economic growth over the last 20 years is due to the services sector.

(BTW, education is a service sector)

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:54 pm

Re: Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

#34 Post by frank1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:01 pm

ghs wrote:A few years ago I was in London and I met some guys from South America who were there
for a wine conference. I told them I was from Adelaide. They said yeah we know South Australia
that's where they make the best wine in the world.
I was in NZ a few years ago staying in a backpackers. I met a group of guys from the europe who had just recently been to australia and most of all they liked the outback and the wine. I asked them if they went to SA because it is known for its wine, but they had only heard of Hunter Valley in NSW. I was like WTF how could you go to australia and like wine, but not visit SA. However, i realised that it is SA's fault for not premoting itself like the eastern states do. Ironically the Barossa valley, in fact SA, might have the best wine, but is certainly not the most well known to tourists.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1589
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

#35 Post by ghs » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:44 pm

I disagree. I think the Barossa is well known throughout Australia......

User avatar
Isiskii
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

#36 Post by Isiskii » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:56 pm

He was talking to people from Europe.

I think his point was that they (as international travelers) hadn't heard of the Barossa, which is due to poor international exposure, as opposed to the significant exposure nationally - which is why many Australians know of it.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:47 pm

Re: Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

#37 Post by ricecrackers » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:24 pm

well considering the most popular wine variety in the US is a Pinot Noir and South Australia doesnt make a decent Pinot Noir then there is part of the reason

Aussies tend to drink a lot of Shiraz and Chardonnay, but these arent necessarily popular varieties throughout the world.
SA shiraz's are very heavy, industrial/technical and acidic. locals love it, but this isnt to the taste of Europeans. The english associate Australian wine with cheap plonk, like Wolf Blass mass produced rieslings and Jacobs Creek Cab Savs. The english dont know a lot about wine in any case.

in my opinion, WA makes better whites generally and Vic makes better cooler climate varieties.
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2048
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:10 am
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

#38 Post by Aidan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:51 am

AtD wrote:
Aidan wrote:But Australia is not becoming a service country.
Aidan wrote:But I can't name a single advanced economy that isn't dominated by services - can you :?:
So are we a services economy or aren't we? Make up your mind.
We're not. A service country isn't one dominated by services, it's one where primary and secondary industries decline and the economy becomes overreliant on services.
Services are where the big incomes are, which was the original point.
There are big incomes in services, which is a slightly more accurate point as they can still be found elsewhere.

Anyway, I wasn't addressing the original point, I was addressing the comments made by ricecrackers.
About 70% of the country's economic growth over the last 20 years is due to the services sector.
Which means about 30% isn't.
(BTW, education is a service sector)
Indeed it is, and future of the other sectors depends on it.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1589
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

#39 Post by ghs » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:27 pm

There hasn't been much construction in the CBD over the last 18 months, hopefully it will pick
up again. Several cranes in the CBD is what is needed to show that we are progressing.

Edgar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 990
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:20 pm
Location: Adelaide
Contact:

Re: Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

#40 Post by Edgar » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:26 pm

I am reading what Ian had said and stepping back to look at what Adelaide has been missing out on. Quite a lot in comparison with other cities in Australia.

You guys can jump with joy and shout about the few international businesses that is operating in Adelaide, but those are the corporate world. What we are missing out is the average international consumer brands and our failure to attract their businesses.

We are losing traction left right and centre. My wife and I have been travelling to Melbourne at least once a month now (with more to come) due to the fact that we need to purchase items of a specific international brand which do not have their franchise here. Heck, we can't even attract Apple to open their store here.

Moving on to sports, aside from Clipsal 500, we really have nothing else. The Tour Down Under will be at its international spotlight for another year in 2011, but a final year for Armstrong, and then what?

I recently went to Adelaide International Raceway for the Gazzanats event (my first one), the track is in such a poor state they could not even hold a proper drag event. The controversy with Adelaide Oval redevelopment and how it almost fell through shows the incapability of our government.

I have half a dozen of friends who have already moved interstate over the last year. Another half a dozen is currently in consideration. Apply that to the overall population and you can see how bad this is affecting our state. I am trying very hard to not move interstate because I still have hope that our state is going to turn its fate around, and here hoping that if it does, then at least if I stay on, we will be in a better position what that time comes around.

It's true that our political system needs a major overhaul, we are currently going through over-governance by the minorities.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

User avatar
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:22 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

#41 Post by jk1237 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:20 pm

god Edgar, are we all gonna die? One good thing about Adelaide crumbling - property prices will drop by 30% soon, and I can afford a rooftop garden apartment in the city. Now why aren't they dropping??????????

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:47 pm

Re: Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

#42 Post by ricecrackers » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:47 pm

Edgar wrote: I am trying very hard to not move interstate because I still have hope that our state is going to turn its fate around, and here hoping that if it does, then at least if I stay on, we will be in a better position what that time comes around.

It's true that our political system needs a major overhaul, we are currently going through over-governance by the minorities.
life is too short mate. stay if you like the place, but by all means move or live somewhere else for a while if you want something more, because two things are for certain: 1. you wont live forever and 2. Adelaide will never change
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Edgar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 990
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:20 pm
Location: Adelaide
Contact:

Re: Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

#43 Post by Edgar » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:08 pm

jk1237 wrote:god Edgar, are we all gonna die? One good thing about Adelaide crumbling - property prices will drop by 30% soon, and I can afford a rooftop garden apartment in the city. Now why aren't they dropping??????????
You're funny mate, property prices aren't dropping and never will. The values will, and when the value drops, the market will bail out from them, and bank loans application will drop and you will never get your rooftop apartment because you can't get finance.

Properties are not cars.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Edgar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 990
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:20 pm
Location: Adelaide
Contact:

Re: Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

#44 Post by Edgar » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:14 pm

ricecrackers wrote:
Edgar wrote: I am trying very hard to not move interstate because I still have hope that our state is going to turn its fate around, and here hoping that if it does, then at least if I stay on, we will be in a better position what that time comes around.

It's true that our political system needs a major overhaul, we are currently going through over-governance by the minorities.
life is too short mate. stay if you like the place, but by all means move or live somewhere else for a while if you want something more, because two things are for certain: 1. you wont live forever and 2. Adelaide will never change
Mate don't get me wrong, I like Adelaide, but I hate to see when Adelaide misses all the opportunities to be even better due to the minorities who dictates the overall governance system of the state.

And 2, why won't Adelaide change? Are you never going to want to change? Don't you want Adelaide to be a better place for the younger generation?
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:47 pm

Re: Ian Smith: It's a shame Adelaide is crumbling.

#45 Post by ricecrackers » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:42 pm

Edgar wrote:
ricecrackers wrote:
Edgar wrote: I am trying very hard to not move interstate because I still have hope that our state is going to turn its fate around, and here hoping that if it does, then at least if I stay on, we will be in a better position what that time comes around.

It's true that our political system needs a major overhaul, we are currently going through over-governance by the minorities.
life is too short mate. stay if you like the place, but by all means move or live somewhere else for a while if you want something more, because two things are for certain: 1. you wont live forever and 2. Adelaide will never change
Mate don't get me wrong, I like Adelaide, but I hate to see when Adelaide misses all the opportunities to be even better due to the minorities who dictates the overall governance system of the state.

And 2, why won't Adelaide change? Are you never going to want to change? Don't you want Adelaide to be a better place for the younger generation?
its got nothing to do with the minorities dictating governance. all states are faced with these issues. there are many factors which come into play, but mostly it comes down to Adelaide not being in a great location. its been pushing shit uphill ever since the first settlers arrived. the younger generation will do as they've done for the past 50 years. if they have any ambition they'll leave, if they're not risk takers they'll stay.
conservatism is the not cause of Adelaide's weak economy, its merely a symptom.

thats not to say it isnt a nice place to live, just dont expect it to ever change or be as prosperous as the other states else you'll be waiting your whole life.
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests