Cyclist killed on the Port River Expressway

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
drsmith
Legendary Member!

Re: Cyclist killed on the Port River Expressway

#31 Post by drsmith » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:11 pm

There are ramp crossings for cyclists for the above interchange, but these are likely safer than the PR Expressway one as there is only one lane to cross and cyclists are directed off the ramp carriageway first before re-approaching the ramp again from the left.

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-31.989111,1 ... d=20100919

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by Nathan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:45 pm

drwaddles wrote:
Nathan wrote:If it's "not a bike lane", why is there a bike painted in the lane, with turn markings and crossings? A "road shoulder which cyclists are permitted to ride on" wouldn't have any markings at all.
Because that is the Australian Standard design. The markings show the cyclist where they should cross the off/on ramp to continue along the road shoulder. The single marking at a ramp crossing does not make the whole shoulder a bike lane, in fact the only thing that makes a lane a bike lane is the black-on-white regulatory signage.

Even though the shot on Nearmap is blurry, you can still make out that this marking in the lane, at the off ramp of the same interchange, is the "Australian Regulatory Standard Bike Lane Marking™". If there was no bike lane there, why would you have crossings for them? If you're a cyclist, and crossing at a marked cyclist crossing that clearly feeds into a lane - why would anyone realise that it's "just a shoulder", and that they shouldn't be there (in the words of the police)??
Attachments
Safari.png
Safari.png (542.17 KiB) Viewed 2494 times

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by drwaddles » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:28 pm

drsmith wrote:Are these freeway to freeway interchanges (South road/PR Expressway is effectively a trumpet interchange), or do they include some form of access control for any movements (either in the form of give way/roundabout/traffic signal) like the above ?
Both - most signalised ramps have free-flow aspects anyway (e.g. left turn onto the on-ramp is free-flow).
Nathan wrote:Even though the shot on Nearmap is blurry, you can still make out that this marking in the lane, at the off ramp of the same interchange, is the "Australian Regulatory Standard Bike Lane Marking™". If there was no bike lane there, why would you have crossings for them? If you're a cyclist, and crossing at a marked cyclist crossing that clearly feeds into a lane - why would anyone realise that it's "just a shoulder", and that they shouldn't be there (in the words of the police)??
As I said in my post that you quoted, the marking is to guide cyclists as to where to cross the ramps. It is not a bike lane without the regulatory sign that I posted.

There's no reason why a cyclist shouldn't be there unless they are prohibited from cycling on that road. The policeman quoted in the article appears to be offering a personal opinion that cyclists shouldn't be allowed on roads with 80km/h or higher speed limit. I disagree with this.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#34 Post by monotonehell » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:25 pm

I don't know the exact circumstances of the above incident, I'm guessing no one does. However, if any motorist or other road user is approaching a corner or other obstruction to their vision at a speed at which they are unable to stop in time, they are breaking the fundamental road rule -- driving in a manner that is safe.

If you can't see where you are going, you should not be travelling at 80kmh. Anything could be around that corner, a brick wall, a stalled vehicle, a pedestrian or, yes, a cyclist.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#35 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:58 pm

Not that I'm against cyclists, but some of them are very lucky to be alive

Today I witnessed a cyclist travelling along the wrong side of the road, went through a red light and nearly collided with a car that was turning onto Currie Street from King William Street. He then then travelled along the tramline without giving a care in the world. Weeks ago I saw another cyclist go through a red light at the busy intersection of West Terrace and Henley Beach Road/Currie Street during peak hour, amazingly he did not collide with incoming traffic (including large trucks and buses).

^^It's these people that give cyclists a bad reputation
Last edited by crawf on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by jk1237 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Ive ridden down the tram tracks on K W St a few times. Is very quick and no cars :lol: :shock: :shock:

danielphin
Gold-Member ;)

#37 Post by danielphin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:10 pm

crawf wrote:Not that I'm against cyclists, but some of them are very lucky to be alive

Today I witnessed a cyclist travelling alone the wrong side of the road, went through a red light and nearly collided with a car that was turning onto Currie Street from King William Street. Makes thing worse the cyclist then travelled along the tramline without giving a care in the world. Weeks ago I saw another cyclist go through a red light at the busy intersection of West Terrace and Henley Beach Road/Currie Street during peak hour, amazingly he did not collide with incoming traffic (including large trucks and buses).

^^It's these people that give cyclists a bad reputation
I would say all bad cyclist behaviour in the CBD could be attributed to bike messengers.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by ozisnowman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:32 pm

People blaming cyclists should get on a bike and witness the kid of stupid driving and bad behaviour on our road before posting comments in poor taste and
with poor understanding. This cyclist did not deserve to be killed, yes he is taking a risk by riding on the Expressway but that doesnt give the driver of the
vehicle the right to mow him down does it...

I used to ride my bike to work and would often train it home to Blackwood and then ride down Shepards Hill Rd. Even though that road has a bike lane
it didnt stop idiots going to the local pizza bar flinging open their doors without looking in the mirror, cars full of yobbo teens thowing full water bottles
at me or the time i was already in a round about and having right of way but getting cut off, yelled at, given abuse and given the finger by a d---head
who doesnt know that give way to the right means all vehicles including bikes....