Time to rename the state?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
iTouch
Legendary Member!

Re: Time to rename the state?

#31 Post by iTouch » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:28 pm

monotonehell wrote:
rhino wrote:
iTouch(myself) wrote:^^^ how you managed to think that up beats me.
No offence but this topic is silly. It'd cause anarchy not just for our state but interstate as well. Company's would have to change their logo's and name's which would be expensive. Data, script, etc would have to be changed from an SA variable to another which is time wasting. It's pointless.
What is it with all these apostrophies? They are totally unnecessary and make your post senseless. Just sayin' ( :) )
You. You're toying with me aren't you?
I love you for your appropriate apostrophes comment... but "Just sayin'" *twitch*

For uTouch:
"Companies would have to change their logos and names."
Plurals don't take an apostrophe. Possessives and contractions do (except for its(possesive), it's(it is) and a few other annoying exceptions which make English fun).
monotonehell wrote:
Wayno wrote:Our flag would be a crossed Pick & Shovel on a red earth background with radioactive tailings piled here and there.
:lol:

Time to derail this thread...
*Places penny on tracks*

Why do people start a post with "No offence but.." ? It's a bit like "I'm not racist but..."
Also people who end their posts with "...just saying." annoy me. What the hell does that mean?
The trifecta:
Some random Youtube commenter yesterday wrote:No offence but, your a dick, just sayin.
Don't judge me. :(
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by rhino » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:47 am

monotonehell wrote:You. You're toying with me aren't you?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Gotcha!
cheers,
Rhino

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by monotonehell » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:30 pm

iTouch(myself) wrote:Don't judge me. :(
I'm not judging you, just correcting your grammar. ;)

(BTW the sentiment of the youtube quote wasn't directed at anyone here. It was simply an example of three of my pet hates in one sentence I saw a few days ago.)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#34 Post by Waewick » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:13 pm

No offence but this topic is silly. It'd cause anarchy not just for our state but interstate as well. Company's would have to change their logo's and name's which would be expensive. Data, script, etc would have to be changed from an SA variable to another which is time wasting. It's pointless.
Sam Posted at 10:52 PM Today
I'm definitely pro-republic, but the sheer cost of making that change would go into the billions. The Constitution would have to be changed and every society that has "Royal" in front of it's name would have to re-write it's charter. The legal costs would be massive. Then there's the cost of re-branding all these organisations, from changing their logos (remember how much it cost Comm bank to get a yellow square??), to re-designing & printing new stationery, sending out notices to all their contacts to let them know about the change... the list goes on and on. And of course you'd also have to redesign our currency and melt down destroying the old coins & recycle the notes as they're returned to the banks. So yes, I'd love to see Australia become a republic, but I wouldn't want the cost to be covered by the taxpayer, as it inevitably would.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world/prince-wil ... z15XjBpEIF

Sam is that you?

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by iTouch » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:38 pm

capitalist wrote:
I'm definitely pro-republic, but the sheer cost of making that change would go into the billions. The Constitution would have to be changed and every society that has "Royal" in front of it's name would have to re-write it's charter. The legal costs would be massive. Then there's the cost of re-branding all these organisations, from changing their logos (remember how much it cost Comm bank to get a yellow square??), to re-designing & printing new stationery, sending out notices to all their contacts to let them know about the change... the list goes on and on. And of course you'd also have to redesign our currency and melt down destroying the old coins & recycle the notes as they're returned to the banks. So yes, I'd love to see Australia become a republic, but I wouldn't want the cost to be covered by the taxpayer, as it inevitably would.

Sam is that you?
No. Firstly, I'm offended you accused me of being a web news commentator. I demand an apology. Now.
Secondly, I'm pro-monarchist until Charles gets the throne :)
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

Aidan

#36 Post by Aidan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:04 am

capitalist wrote:Sam is that you?
Whether it is or not, it's rubbish. Though I'm not so keen on becoming a republic, there would be no need to withdraw old coins and banknotes from circulation if we do. Nor would there be any requirement for Royal institutions to change their names or logos. The constitution may change, but otherwise it would be business as usual.

But renaming the state would be expensive for businesses - though maybe not as much as you might think. When addresses on the Wirral in England changed from Cheshire to Merseyside, the mail with Cheshire on the address still got through. And since then they've changed it back, yet the mail still gets through just as fast addressed to Merseyside (and/or with L at the start of the postcode instead of CH).

Even if we renamed our state, the old name would continue to be used informally, and our postcodes would stay the same. So in the unlikely event that someone comes up with a name that the public agree is better, it is still worth doing IMO.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Waewick

#37 Post by Waewick » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:31 pm

iTouch(myself) wrote:
capitalist wrote:

Sam is that you?
No. Firstly, I'm offended you accused me of being a web news commentator. I demand an apology. Now.
Secondly, I'm pro-monarchist until Charles gets the throne :)

I was just joking -more to highlight the morons on Adelaidenow than anything.

as for renaming the state, it ain't going to happen. I was just bored :?