Life In Australia: Adelaide - 1966

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
woztt
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Life In Australia: Adelaide - 1966

#31 Post by woztt » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:10 pm

Omicron wrote:Thoughts:

- 0:40 Empty housing lots along the tramline!
- 0:52 Victoria Square looks really nice - the same layout as Hindmarsh Square is now. Love the HD Holden stopping for people getting off a tram in the middle of the street.
- 1:21 That view north on KWS seems much the same to me, aside from a few paintjobs and re-cladding here and there. Easily recognisable, at least.
- 2:16 I say - the old South Australian Hotel on North Terrace!
- 2:55 I have a frightening thought that's a narrow, gravel-edged South Road, because you can just see Chrysler's Clovelly Park factory in the background (blue Pentastar!). Love the Valiants, too.
- 4:34 Westbound on Anzac Highway? I think I recognise that median, and those double-storey units on the right down Camden Park way.
- 5:15 Can't be a Catholic school - they're not beating the children with sticks :wink:
- 7:14 I'm convinced that's the Hotel Australia in North Adelaide, now the Place on Brougham apartments. The top-level restaurant is the Colonel Light Room, if memory serves. You can see how the shape of the windows matches those on this exterior photo.
- 8:58 Beach shacks!
- 9:01 Victoria Park racecourse, surely. Running in the opposite direction to Morphettville, and you can see the Queen Victoria Hospital being built in the background.
- 10:05 Amazing how much CC2 looks like the old Advertiser building. A deliberate homage? Love the Town Hall and GPO towers in the same frame, too.
- 10:14 No-one is shouting or pushing?
- 10:42 Cox Foys on Rundle, now the hideous Renaissance Centre with its useless glass lifts and stupid balcony. That ferris wheel would have been amazing!
- 10:47 Coles Supermarkets sign, in that fabulous '50s building that is thankfully still there, although with a Central sign that doesn't quite light up all the letters.
- 11:50 She needs to put that back on the rack.
- 12:18 I don't recognise this restaurant at all. But I'll have the seafood platter and chicken fried rice, thanks.
- 13:03 Neons! Brilliant. More colourful lights these days, please.
- 13:35 Sorrento Restaurant, eating pasta, a caffe latte glass, ice-cream sold in 'coppe' - I'm sure the only place you could do that in '66 with such a dressed-up crowd was Hindley St.
- 15:26 Someone needs to recognise that church! I, er, don't.
- 15:52 Nice FB Holden Station Sedan
- 16:25 Well I'll be. The King St bridge with substantial earth embankments.
- 17:15 It would seem that growing grass on Elder Park is a skill that died out in '67. How they still cannot do it is beyond me.
- 18:55 CHILDREN PLAYING IN WATER. THEY WILL SURELY DROWN. PAVE THIS AREA IMMEDIATELY. So they did. Idiots. What a waste. Look how nice that is.

- 13.06 the interior of the Paprika restaurant on Hindley St.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

Life In Australia: Adelaide - 1966

#32 Post by dsriggs » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:30 pm

Lol script poster.