Strange parts of Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Strange parts of Adelaide

#1 Post by Waewick » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:54 pm

I Stumbled over this on Nearmap
- I know there is a thread dedicated to this somewhere - I just couldn't find it.
untitled1.JPG
Ugly
untitled1.JPG (179.29 KiB) Viewed 2366 times

I am assuming that it is left for SA water, ETSA or the like but I would love confirmation from someone who lives around the area.

I have marked the red spots at the points the pathway hits a road.

It is located just near the intersection of Daws Road and South Road for those interested.

Aidan

Re: Strange parts of Adelaide

#2 Post by Aidan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:37 pm

I don't know why they've left it like that, but I can tell you what's under there.

It's a storm drain. It's pretty obviously the route of a former creek, fed by some creeks in Panorama. But according to atlas.sa.gov.au they now drain into a different storm drain (under English Avenue) leaving it to drain local roads. This might be the result of past flooding, but that's just a guess.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Omicron

#3 Post by Omicron » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:16 pm

You can see quite a few of those across Adelaide if you know where to look - old lanes, former open channels, reservations for shelved projects etc. Sometimes it's obvious, as in this case, but other times you have to look carefully for newer developments interrupting otherwise continuous parks or lanes, different architectural styles in odd, linear arrangements, or rely solely on old maps.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by AG » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:52 pm

There's another interesting corridor through Ottoway in the northern suburbs that's very obvious from the air. It used to be a rail corridor known as the Finsbury Line which ran from the Rosewater Line that still serves freight trains to the north through to Woodville Station at the south end. There's quite a few other former road and rail corridors where remnants can still be seen if you look closely.

Omicron

#5 Post by Omicron » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:31 pm

And yay, Nearmap has been updated to January 3!

Waewick

#6 Post by Waewick » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:25 pm

I have to say I didn't expect it to be a an old storm drain.

it is a very ugly piece of land - but I guess there isn't much else you can do with it other than make it a walking - rear access lane.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Wayno » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:41 pm

Speaking of strange parts - does anyone know the location of the old train tunnel heading into the hills from upper-Torrens Park (or there-abouts)? apparently they are now privately owned an used for wine storage, among other things.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Waewick

#8 Post by Waewick » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:55 pm

In line with post-war encouragement, small business were established on the old blocks along Goodwood Road. One of the most unusual businesses in the district is the utilisation of the old railway tunnels for the commercial growing of mushrooms. The tunnels built in the 1880s were abandoned when the railway was altered during the upgrading of the system in the 1920s. During World War II they were used to store the State's treasures from the Art Gallery and Museum and Government papers. Since then various companies have managed mushroom farms in the dark tunnels.
http://www.mitchamcouncil.sa.gov.au/sit ... cfm?u=1410

i'll start looking through the records in the 1920's i guess

Aidan

#9 Post by Aidan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Wayno wrote:Speaking of strange parts - does anyone know the location of the old train tunnel heading into the hills from upper-Torrens Park (or there-abouts)? apparently they are now privately owned an used for wine storage, among other things.
Yes, that's the old Sleeps Hill tunnel in Panorama. Unlike the current one, which runs N-S, it ran NE-SW.

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-35.00615,13 ... d=20110103
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Wayno » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:05 pm

Aiden, is it this structure (i marked it on nearmap, not sure if you can see my ARROW - presumably a bricked tunnel entrance) about 50-70m SE of the red-roofed house with the swimming pool?

http://www.nearmap.com/?q=Tunnel%3F@-35 ... d=20110103
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Aidan

#11 Post by Aidan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Wayno wrote:Aiden, is it this structure (i marked it on nearmap, not sure if you can see my ARROW - presumably a bricked tunnel entrance) about 50-70m SE of the red-roofed house with the swimming pool?

http://www.nearmap.com/?q=Tunnel%3F@-35 ... d=20110103
Yes, that's the NE portal.

Omicron

#12 Post by Omicron » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:12 pm

And because I'm awesome, this is the other end:

http://www.nearmap.com/?q=Other%20tunne ... d=20110103

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Wayno » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:15 pm

awesome indeed!

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by jk1237 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:06 pm

so there were 2 old tunnels, I didnt know that. You can clearly see a dirt road that used to be the route of the track that connected the 2 tunnels

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by AG » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:47 pm

Stumbled across this unintentionally: http://www.thetunnels.com.au/

Indeed, the former rail tunnel at Panorama is used a wine storage facility. Photos are on the website.