The SA Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#976 Post by SRW » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:10 pm

They should get cracking. It'd be ideal to have a list of projects ready to go before the federal election campaign for the government and opposition to throw cash at.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#977 Post by SRW » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:02 am

The Libs have created exemptions for the residential foreign investor tax so that developers of projects with 20+ allotments can get a waiver. Hopefully it will see some more city developments get across the line:
Attachments
31ABCD66-7F02-4112-B068-F80985509A19.jpeg
31ABCD66-7F02-4112-B068-F80985509A19.jpeg (685.94 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#978 Post by rev » Fri May 31, 2019 11:12 am

Leon Bignell is fed up about not having a local electorate office — so much so he’s threatening to report the State Government to the United Nations for “quelling democracy”.

The Labor MP was returned as the member for Mawson in last year’s state election.

Mr Bignell is still in his former electorate office in Hackham but, in a quirk from the 2017 state boundary redraw, the office is now outside his electorate.

He has been trying to get a new office in Aldinga to be closer to his constituents for 12 months with no success.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 0cbfa4ba10

These politicians are on 6 figure salaries courtesy of the South Australian tax payer.
You want an office so bad? Go and rent one. I'm sure you have some parliamentary privilege or special unheard of law which allows you to be reimbursed courtesy of the tax payer again.

SA Premier - $374,648
Gov. Minister - $327,817
Opp. Leader - $327,817
Opp. Front bench - $234,155
All back Benchers - $187,324

Those are figures from 2015. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-18/ ... ps/7041100

So Leon Bignell is on $234,155 a year but is crying because he doesn't have a tax payer funded office + staff yet. Christ.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#979 Post by rhino » Fri May 31, 2019 11:53 am

rev wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:12 am
Leon Bignell is fed up about not having a local electorate office — so much so he’s threatening to report the State Government to the United Nations for “quelling democracy”.

The Labor MP was returned as the member for Mawson in last year’s state election.

Mr Bignell is still in his former electorate office in Hackham but, in a quirk from the 2017 state boundary redraw, the office is now outside his electorate.

He has been trying to get a new office in Aldinga to be closer to his constituents for 12 months with no success.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 0cbfa4ba10

These politicians are on 6 figure salaries courtesy of the South Australian tax payer.
You want an office so bad? Go and rent one. I'm sure you have some parliamentary privilege or special unheard of law which allows you to be reimbursed courtesy of the tax payer again.

SA Premier - $374,648
Gov. Minister - $327,817
Opp. Leader - $327,817
Opp. Front bench - $234,155
All back Benchers - $187,324

Those are figures from 2015. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-18/ ... ps/7041100

So Leon Bignell is on $234,155 a year but is crying because he doesn't have a tax payer funded office + staff yet. Christ.
Bignell has found an office, but according to him, Lucas hasn't released the funds to pay for lease and fit-out, as he is supposed to. After 12 months in office, apparently all Liberal representatives have an office in their electorate, paid for by Government, but 3 Labor representatives (according to Bignell) are still waiting for funds.

If you are drawing a salary, and your employer requires you to have an office in the region you represent, and pays for others to have such offices, why should Bignell be expected to pay for his own?
cheers,
Rhino

rev

#980 Post by rev » Fri May 31, 2019 12:09 pm

Because these politicians should show a bit of humility once in a while instead of crying like spoiled brats.
They are on the tax payers dime.

He's on a quarter of a million dollars a year. I'm sure he can find a short term alternative.

Nathan

#981 Post by Nathan » Fri May 31, 2019 12:20 pm

What's with this inflammatory shit in the middle of the article?
Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 12.16.55 pm.png

rhino

#982 Post by rhino » Fri May 31, 2019 12:46 pm

rev wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:09 pm
Because these politicians should show a bit of humility once in a while instead of crying like spoiled brats.

He's on a quarter of a million dollars a year. I'm sure he can find a short term alternative.
??? And you would do that, in his position, when others are having it supplied? You would forgo your year's salary to pay for an office and a fit-out (not just for you, but your staff team too - or do you think they should share the burden?).

I call bullshit.
cheers,
Rhino

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#983 Post by SRW » Fri May 31, 2019 1:41 pm

rhino wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:46 pm
rev wrote:

??? And you would do that, in his position, when others are having it supplied? You would forgo your year's salary to pay for an office and a fit-out (not just for you, but your staff team too - or do you think they should share the burden?).

I call bullshit.
Especially when denying the electors an office of their representative within their electorate is blatantly and arrogantly partisan. Bignell won against-the-odds an area (KI and Fleurieu) that the born-to-rule types within the Liberals smugly see as rightfully theirs. It's payback, and clearly intended to hinder his success next time. In the context, I think Bignell's entitled to a bit of hyperbole about escalating to the UN to make a fair point about Lucas's unjustified delay.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev

#984 Post by rev » Fri May 31, 2019 2:23 pm

rhino wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:46 pm
rev wrote:

I call bullshit.
So you're telling me that you can't find a small office to use temporarily while you're being paid a quarter of a million dollars?
Of course the government is playing politics. I'm sure if you go back and look at every election Labor won you'd find similar stories of Liberal MP's waiting for their offices. That's besides the point.

I actually would foot the bill to rent a small office rhino. Unlike you I disagree with the extraordinary financial waste by governments at tax payers expense. I don't think that anything these politicians do is worth a six figure salary plus all the other benefits they get, plus a very health pension when they retire. They're supposed to be serving their constituents, not setting up a good life and retirement at their expense.

Bignells tantrum over an office is just an example of how out of touch with reality and their constituents politicians really are.

It was Leon Bignell in 2014 who spent $150,000 of tax payers money on international travel while on a tax payer funded salary of $300k. So what a surprise to see him complaining that he cant eat up more tax payers money.

This isn't a private business. This is tax payers money.

But hey man, have a go at me because I disagree that the tax payer should fund a lavish lifestyle and retirement for politicians. How in the hell does anyone spend $150,000 on travel in a year when they're meant to be an elected official of a state of 1.3 million people. But yes rhino, the issue here is clearly what I would or wouldn't do. :lol:

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#985 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri May 31, 2019 6:50 pm

So you're telling me that you can't find a small office to use temporarily while you're being paid a quarter of a million dollars?
Of course the government is playing politics. I'm sure if you go back and look at every election Labor won you'd find similar stories of Liberal MP's waiting for their offices. That's besides the point.
Lol "besides the point." No it's the ONLY relevant point here - you've just turned it into some sort of anti-politician rant.

rev

#986 Post by rev » Fri May 31, 2019 8:23 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:50 pm
Lol "besides the point." No it's the ONLY relevant point here - you've just turned it into some sort of anti-politician rant.
Is this when you tell me what I think and what point I was making? Go ahead....

SBD

#987 Post by SBD » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:35 am

Bignell has two electorate offices. One is the one in Hackham, which I believe was in Mawson until the last election, and was Bignell's office. The other is in Kingscote, which was in Finniss before the election. I have no idea where he lives, whether he is complaining about having to drive too far to his office, or whether he wants an office in the electorate because his home is not.

Two of my local Labor MPs have electoral offices in their electorates, but only because when the boundaries moved, they stood for each other's seats. Both got elected and changed the electorate names on their offices instead of moving office (and I think they each live in what is now the other's electorate). Labor couldn't arrange that down south as there was a Liberal seat involved too.

Waewick

#988 Post by Waewick » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:04 pm

Nathan wrote:What's with this inflammatory shit in the middle of the article?
They are taking the piss at a clearly out of touch politician.

I mean the UN, what a complete knob of a bloke.

Nathan

#989 Post by Nathan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:29 pm

Waewick wrote:

Taking the piss? They’re a newspaper, not fucking Mad Magazine.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#990 Post by Goodsy » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:51 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:29 pm
Waewick wrote:

Taking the piss? They’re a newspaper, not fucking Mad Magazine.
Well.. it's the Advertiser, so it's closer to Mad Magazine than to an actual newspaper