The Rudder Party

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Would you vote for the Rudder Party?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:05 pm

Yes, it's just what Australia needs!
No votes
Yes, it's marginally preferable to the existing parties at the moment
29%
They wouldn't get my first preference, but I'd put them ahead of Labor and Liberal
14%
I'd need a lot more information about them before I decide
29%
No, I prefer Labor as they are
14%
No, I prefer the Liberals
14%

Total votes: 7

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

The Rudder Party

#1 Post by Aidan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:05 pm

Considering all the objections people have to the main political parties, one possible solution is to form a new political party to give people what they want. And polls seem to indicate what they want is Kevin Rudd back in the top job. So why not give them just that?

Introducing the Rudder Party - a hypothetical group (at least for now) with the aim of holding the balance of power and forcing them to reinstate Kevin as PM. Other policies include much greater transparency (no more hiding behind commercial in confidence - all levels of government should be prohibited from making deals which prevent them from disclosing the cost) and much greater public involvement in all projects.

So, would they get your vote?

(poll runs for two weeks, after which I'll announce some more of their policies to see whether it makes them more or less popular)
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

Re: The Rudder Party

#2 Post by peas_and_corn » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:56 pm

I don't vote for single issue parties.

Aidan

#3 Post by Aidan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:17 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:I don't vote for single issue parties.
Fair enough, but this isn't a single issue party. I've already mentioned three issues (the PM, transparency, and greater public involvement). In a couple of weeks I'll announce policies on infrastructure, taxation, refugees, rural development and possibly a few other issues (so feel free to request something). However as the policies on some of those issues are likely to be controversial, I intend to run a separate poll afterwards to determine whether it makes them more or less desirable. Meanwhile you can assume the Rudder Party's policies are similar to those of Labor, but without the control of factions and unions that seems to be making Labor unelectable.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:13 pm

When you talk about having polls, are you going to be having them here? If so, you'll get skewed results as this forum attracts a certain type of person and thus will not be a representative sample.

Aidan

#5 Post by Aidan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:27 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:When you talk about having polls, are you going to be having them here?
Yes. This is the first, and the second will be after this one finishes.
If so, you'll get skewed results as this forum attracts a certain type of person and thus will not be a representative sample.
I'm aware of that, but I'm not aware of any site that does attract large numbers of random Australians.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AtD » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:58 pm

How do you expect to "win" the balance of power? I assume you understand how the HoR works.

At best, it'll probably just be another conduit for preferences to Labor.

Also note there's no blanket "no" option in your poll. :roll:

Omicron

#7 Post by Omicron » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:22 pm

I don't want Rudd as PM, so no thank you.

Aidan

#8 Post by Aidan » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:08 pm

AtD wrote:How do you expect to "win" the balance of power? I assume you understand how the HoR works.
Of course I understand, so I'm rather puzzled by why you'd need to ask the question. The answer, of course, is by fielding candidates in lots of seats and winning enough that no party has an absolute majority of seats - just as the independents did last time.
At best, it'll probably just be another conduit for preferences to Labor.
As most of their first preferences would probably be taken from Labor in the first place, I don't think that effect would be significant - I doubt many people who'd otherwise vote Liberal would give their preferences to Labor after voting for the Rudder Party.
Also note there's no blanket "no" option in your poll. :roll:
That's because I wanted to see the reasons for both the yes and no options. But with hindsight I think I should also have included the option:
No, it's worse than both Labor and Liberal!
I'll include that in the followup poll.