Hot Sh*t From Around The World.. enjoy!

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

Hot Sh*t From Around The World.. enjoy!

#1 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:02 am

Here's the Acqua Tower on Lakeshore Drive in Chicago.

85 floors, 262 metres and designed by a woman, by golly.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Hot Sh*t From Around The World.. enjoy!

#2 Post by SRW » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:31 am

stumpjumper wrote:and designed by a woman, by golly.
Your point being?
Keep Adelaide Weird

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:03 am

This building is the first skyscraper designed by a woman. That's a notable thing, but not the reason for posting the pic. I think it's a very notable building.

Don't be so sensitive and politically correct!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm sure that can't be right in these modern times.. Sexy building though!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by SRW » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:12 pm

stumpjumper wrote:This building is the first skyscraper designed by a woman. That's a notable thing, but not the reason for posting the pic. I think it's a very notable building.

Don't be so sensitive and politically correct!
It's the tallest, but hardly the first, skyscraper designed by a woman. You're right that it's an architecturally notable (and very beautiful) building, but being sensitive to your finding it so novel that a woman(!!!) designed it has nothing to do with political correctness. For goodness' sake, women are designing everywhere. :2cents:

All the same, what do we have to do get this building transplanted to Adelaide? I'm thinking Waymouth St...
Keep Adelaide Weird

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Will » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Architecture has and currently still is a mainly male oriented domain, hence it is understandable to find it novel that a woman architect has designed such a significant tower.

It is exactly the same, as the novelty factor that has and still surrounds "our first female PM".

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by stumpjumper » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:33 pm

...and there's a designing woman for you.

The point about the woman designing the building was just a point of interest. The first Jamaican architect to design a skyscraper would be worthy of the same notice.

There are plenty of women designing buildings. They've been doing it at least since Queen Hatshepsut. In the 'modern era', there have been plenty of successful female architects. That aspect of it isn't worth talking about, but the first skyscraper designed by a woman is nonetheless notable for that.

I've just returned from a little jaunt, and I'm sad to say, that there are beautiful/strange/crazy buildings everywhere... but here.

That one is in Nottingham, UK - just a little office development This sort of thing is springing up all over Europe.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Will » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:26 pm

stumpjumper wrote:...

I've just returned from a little jaunt, and I'm sad to say, that there are beautiful/strange/crazy buildings everywhere... but here.

That's probably because the current development plan pretty much bans such buildings. If you read the development plan, the type of building supported can't be too tall, too interesting, too coloruful, but rather has to "blend in" with 19th century buildings in terms of height, scale, building materials, colours etc...

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by spiller » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:28 pm

Ive had the pleasure of seeing Acqua in the flesh a few times and all I can say is the photos don't do it justice! Some of the highest open balconies in the world too! Although I will say from some angles it's quite unsuspecting and actually looks like a 1990s gold coast high rise.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#10 Post by rhino » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:07 pm

stumpjumper wrote:I've just returned from a little jaunt, and I'm sad to say, that there are beautiful/strange/crazy buildings everywhere... but here.
I agree. My own little jaunt only took in New Zealand, but I have to say that Aukland and Wellington leave Adelaide for dead as far as density of hi-rise, and diversity of hi-rise architecture are concerned. Both feel like things are really happening there, and Wellington is only 390,000 people strong - about a third the population of Adelaide.
cheers,
Rhino

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by stumpjumper » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:23 am

Agreed. I think that we can retain Adelaide's character and charm while accommodating brilliant new architecture. It's a big subject, but it can be done. There are various effective strategies. Some cities use precincts - Paris is the outstanding example of that, and others use good design.