Compose Yourself Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

Compose Yourself Adelaide

#1 Post by bm7500 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:13 am

This is a good opinion piece i found in the Sunday Mail
Compose yourself, Adelaide

SO we put on an internationally renowned film composer's concert while a car race hummed in the background somewhere. Big deal, writes Lainie Anderson.

CAN you hear it? The laughter. Guffaws from Perth, chortles from Melbourne, hoots from Sydney. Even giggles from those devils in Darwin.

That's right. Adelaide is once again the butt of the nation's jokes; a laughing stock.

Why? Because we have the audacity to simultaneously stage a car race and an outdoor music concert. And you simply don't mix car engines with violin strings. It's an embarrassment of interstate proportions.

Oh, come on.

When I first heard of Ennio Morricone last year, he could well have been a race car driver for all I knew. But my husband Max requested tickets for Christmas, so along we strolled to Elder Park to hear the composer and his brilliant film scores.

It was Adelaide at its finest: Beautiful sunset, sweet skyline, friendly people.

And frankly I thought the occasional hum of motor racing from the East End was kind of cool - a sign of Adelaide's "multicultural" dynamism.

Admittedly, the crash of bottles being thrown into a recycling bin by some peanut at the Adelaide Festival Centre was not so cool; but it doesn't warrant statewide flagellation.

When a woman behind us at the concert muttered, "ONLY ADELAIDE would ruin an international concert with a car race" I just knew we'd be reaching for our favourite whipping stick.

Nothing can go wrong - nothing can be even remotely different or divisive - in South Australia without an outpouring of parochial angst.

When the Port River rail bridge didn't automatically open for the recent arrival of the replica ship Endeavour, Adelaide was a national laughing stock.

When the State Government proposed a 4am curfew on pubs and clubs, to curb booze-fuelled assaults and provide a buffer between late-night bingeing and morning business, Adelaide was a national laughing stock.

When the opening of Adelaide Airport was delayed, we were a national laughing stock. And the move to open city shops every day of the year except on Christmas Day and Good Friday? Well, that's aimed at putting a stop to all those jokes about Adelaide's being closed for business.

Get some perspective, people.

No one is laughing at us. They're too busy dealing with their own issues, like counting their mining cash in Queensland and WA, or sandbagging rising floodwaters in Victoria and NSW.

SA certainly has its problems, not least an economy that refuses to spark despite talk of a mining boom that's not quite here yet.

And I'm all for campaigning (loudly) if you have a bee in your bonnet.

But the Morricone/Clipsal/wine bottle clash was not a faux pas of national significance. It was nothing more than a lack of communication among event and Festival Centre chiefs who get paid enough to know better.

As someone who lived away from SA for 15 years before returning to settle down and raise a family, I just don't understand the need to constantly talk ourselves down.

Maybe it's a hangover from the State Bank disaster, though younger SA adults don't even remember it.

Perhaps it's our heritage as the smaller state sibling - but surely this works in our favour at event times such as this (small enough to feel boutique but big enough to attract strong crowds).

Often, I think people are just being lazy when they trot out the old "national laughing stock" throwaway line. At other times, as with the Hindley St debate, I think it's a bullying tactic.

("I know better and anyone who disagrees is 'small-town'.")

Whatever the reason, it does us all a disservice because it perpetuates the ridiculous misconception that we're not quite good enough.

So I propose a swear jar of sorts: Anyone who is quoted in the media as saying "Adelaide is a laughing stock" should donate $500 to a charity like the Hutt St Centre for the homeless (I'm sure no one there was mortified by the Morricone mix-up.)

To the lovely and highly respected Natasha Stott Despoja, who pulled out the whipping stick for her Advertiser column this week, perhaps you'd like to go first.
:applause:
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Compose Yourself Adelaide

#2 Post by Will » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Very good article.

:applause:

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by phenom » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:24 pm

Mmm, so true.

I know we say it often on here, but take a look at AdelaideNow comments on, well, pretty much *anything*.

Water mains burst? Only in Adelaide (apparently). Traffic jams or inadequate public transport? Only in Adelaide (apparently). Expensive utilities? Only in Adelaide (apparently). Politicians telling fibs? Only in Adelaide (apparently).

Recently I've seen complaints along the lines of 'all road works interstate are done at off-peak times... except for here in SA'... which is clearly untrue to anyone who has actually been interstate. Moreover, it's surprising how often roadworks are actually done (where possible) at night and on weekends here in Adelaide given the imperative to do so is often less strong than in much bigger cities.

I travel interstate relatively frequently for work so maybe I just get a perspective that a lot of people who live in their own little bubble might not be able to get, but it's amazing how many people (are AdelaideNow actually a very small but vocal demographic?) seem to think problems of Adelaide are unique in any way shape or form. Some things are worse, some things are better - but mostly it's just a matter of degrees of difference on any issue you care to name.

Almost without exception they are common (at least) to every major Australian city. It's still kind of upsetting to read the comments (quite possibly self-justifying, of course) of people 'heading to Victoria' or 'heading to Queensland' because they think they will be escaping 'doomed' Adelaide. Usually it's based on something factually incorrect - for example, they feel they are being 'overpoliced' on our roads so they are going to move to... wait for it... Victoria. LOL.

The positive thing I think is that articles such as this - and tangible changes like a skyline full of cranes, far more interstate car plates on our roads (at a non-holiday time) than I've ever seen before, SA doing relatively better on a sustained basis in national comparisons (ie more middle ground rather than the perennial 'worst mainland State')- suggest maybe, just maybe, we are turning the corner on our endless self-flagellation.

One can only hope!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Such a worthy topic that it's already been talked about on here in the past...
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... f=4&t=3043
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by crawf » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:51 am

phenom wrote:Mmm, so true.

I know we say it often on here, but take a look at AdelaideNow comments on, well, pretty much *anything*.

Water mains burst? Only in Adelaide (apparently). Traffic jams or inadequate public transport? Only in Adelaide (apparently). Expensive utilities? Only in Adelaide (apparently). Politicians telling fibs? Only in Adelaide (apparently).

Recently I've seen complaints along the lines of 'all road works interstate are done at off-peak times... except for here in SA'... which is clearly untrue to anyone who has actually been interstate. Moreover, it's surprising how often roadworks are actually done (where possible) at night and on weekends here in Adelaide given the imperative to do so is often less strong than in much bigger cities.

I travel interstate relatively frequently for work so maybe I just get a perspective that a lot of people who live in their own little bubble might not be able to get, but it's amazing how many people (are AdelaideNow actually a very small but vocal demographic?) seem to think problems of Adelaide are unique in any way shape or form. Some things are worse, some things are better - but mostly it's just a matter of degrees of difference on any issue you care to name.

Almost without exception they are common (at least) to every major Australian city. It's still kind of upsetting to read the comments (quite possibly self-justifying, of course) of people 'heading to Victoria' or 'heading to Queensland' because they think they will be escaping 'doomed' Adelaide. Usually it's based on something factually incorrect - for example, they feel they are being 'overpoliced' on our roads so they are going to move to... wait for it... Victoria. LOL.

The positive thing I think is that articles such as this - and tangible changes like a skyline full of cranes, far more interstate car plates on our roads (at a non-holiday time) than I've ever seen before, SA doing relatively better on a sustained basis in national comparisons (ie more middle ground rather than the perennial 'worst mainland State')- suggest maybe, just maybe, we are turning the corner on our endless self-flagellation.

One can only hope!
If you take a look at the comment section of the Herald Sun, Perth Now, Courier Mail etc... it's all just as bad as Adelaide Now.

Btw great article

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Hooligan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:37 am

The anti clipsal sentiment is just stupid.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Hooligan wrote:The anti clipsal sentiment is just stupid.
No it's not.

/troll
;)

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:32 pm

^ Is that the route usually taken by stolen cars? :mrgreen:

sorry, couldn't resist.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by Hooligan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:36 pm

What does everyone on this website have against clipsal?

Signature removed 

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:54 pm

Hooligan wrote:What does everyone on this website have against clipsal?
We don't really, we just like stirring Uncle Cruise. ;)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by crawf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Same with the anti festival/fringe sentiment.

metro
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by metro » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:56 pm

looking on the more positive side, the Olympic Swimming trials are going well. They're also getting lots of coverage on national news.

I dont know what the big deal about the Morricone concert was, i've been to outdoor concerts in Sydney, Melbourne and other cities around the world and each one had lots of background noise from loud cars, sirens, planes etc..

People are stupid for complaining about background noise during a concert being held in the middle of a city during its busiest events season. Perhaps next time the concert should be hosted in one of Adelaide's wine regions where there is almost no noise at all, but then the same idiots will probably whinge about something else.. :roll:

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Hooligan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:27 pm

crawf wrote:
Who's been saying that?

Signature removed 

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#14 Post by Nathan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:07 pm

Hooligan wrote:
crawf wrote:
Who's been saying that?
*cough* AdelaideNow commenters :toilet: *cough*