Budget fall out for SA

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

Budget fall out for SA

#1 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:25 pm

What is with the obsession of maintaining a Triple A credit rating when we are spending big on massive infrastructure projects?

Don't cut funding to these important pieces of the South Australian future pie.

:wallbash:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-09/g ... section=sa

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/south-aus ... 6350271794

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Budget fall out for SA

#2 Post by Ben » Wed May 09, 2012 3:14 pm

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by mutt » Wed May 09, 2012 6:24 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:What is with the obsession of maintaining a Triple A credit rating when we are spending big on massive infrastructure projects?

I believe the credit rating influences how much 'we' can borrow and at what interest rate
SA is probably due for a liberal govt soon to reign in this spending which the state cannot afford

we dont want to have austerity measures slapped on us

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:37 pm

mutt wrote:
cruel_world00 wrote:What is with the obsession of maintaining a Triple A credit rating when we are spending big on massive infrastructure projects?

I believe the credit rating influences how much 'we' can borrow and at what interest rate
SA is probably due for a liberal govt soon to reign in this spending which the state cannot afford

"reign in this spending"...

Are you crazy? How is investing in rail, roads, infrastructure.. a new hospital etc a bad thing? If we were spending it on crazy out there concepts, maybe, but the types of investment this government is making are all of particular use.

I spose a Liberal government would reign in the spending because I don't know a single policy that the State Libs have proposed in 2 years. So I figure it's nothing. And nothing is pretty cheap.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by mutt » Thu May 10, 2012 1:02 am

cruel_world00 wrote:
mutt wrote:

"reign in this spending"...

Are you crazy? How is investing in rail, roads, infrastructure.. a new hospital etc a bad thing? If we were spending it on crazy out there concepts, maybe, but the types of investment this government is making are all of particular use.

I spose a Liberal government would reign in the spending because I don't know a single policy that the State Libs have proposed in 2 years. So I figure it's nothing. And nothing is pretty cheap.
they're in opposition. they're not going to give Labor all their ideas.
you clearly dont have much understanding of the nature of politics.

its one thing to 'invest' in rail and roads however Melbourne have utilised private funding for major road projects like the City Link tollway. given it will be mostly commercial traffic that will use the "superway" then why not make it a tollway?
furthermore you've conveniently ignored the $600 million the state govt are spending on a football stadium, and further millions on a convention centre and lets not forget the debacle that is the desalination plant

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by cruel_world00 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:48 am

I've not "conveniently" forgotten these projects.

I didn't specifically mention them but they do fall under infrastructure. And I think they are important infrastructure.

Are you saying expanding the Convention Centre is a bad thing? If we are going to get all comparison-y... let's see what is happening in Darling Harbour... oh right, they're pumpig $1 billion into their Convention Centre too.

On the politics front, I get it, the Liberal Party wants to hold their cards close to their chest, but sooner or later they've got to give us SOMETHING otherwise no one will know what it is they actually stand for.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Will » Thu May 10, 2012 1:59 pm

mutt wrote:

You have criticised Adelaide for having second rate facilities compared to Perth in another thread, yet here you are complaining about spending money to fix our 'second rate' facilities. You can't have it both ways.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by mutt » Thu May 10, 2012 3:01 pm

Will wrote:
mutt wrote:

You have criticised Adelaide for having second rate facilities compared to Perth in another thread, yet here you are complaining about spending money to fix our 'second rate' facilities. You can't have it both ways.
Perth's new stadium wont get built for another 4 years after, they didnt rush into it and they can afford it. SA cant, moreso now since the Federal Budget
I only referred to Adelaide Oval, nothing else. you've made a wild extrapolation based on my critique of the design of the Adelaide Oval redevelopment which would've cost nothing more to have been done right the first time. they could've deferred the western stand development.

if it came down between better hospital facilities, a duplicated Southern Expressway vs Adelaide Oval, i know which i would choose

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#9 Post by rev » Thu May 10, 2012 4:13 pm

Surely this guy is here to take the piss.

Construction is expected to start next year on Perth's new stadium, btw.

So the Liberal party in SA is not releasing any of their policies, because they don't want the Labor government to steal them? What is this, primary school?
Can you explain why the Federal Liberal opposition release policies?

If Liberal SA actually had any decent policies that were well thought out and formulated, that they released, Labor would not be able to simply copy them. It would be rather obvious....
And in fact, if they had any decent policies, they could actually appeal to voters as an alternative.
The reason Labor keeps getting voted back in is because there is no alternative being provided. So rather then go with the unknown and take a risk, people are happy to stick with what they know.
And Labor has not let us down all that much. In fact they have delivered quite a lot and are continuing to deliver.

This notion that we can't afford things is ridiculous and narrow minded, and void of facts.
The fact is that we can afford these things that are being built or in the planning stages. We can actually afford to do a hell of a lot more.
The state has a AAA credit rating.
That means that the state government can borrow money at low interest rates.
It is common practice to borrow money to fund infrastructure projects.
Infrastructure is necessary.
If you aren't going to invest in infrastructure, you may as well not worry about whether you have a AAA credit rating or are downgraded to Junk status.
In fact you may as well board the state up and put a closed for business sign up.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by mutt » Thu May 10, 2012 5:08 pm

rev wrote:Surely this guy is here to take the piss.

Construction is expected to start next year on Perth's new stadium, btw.

So the Liberal party in SA is not releasing any of their policies, because they don't want the Labor government to steal them? What is this, primary school?
Can you explain why the Federal Liberal opposition release policies?

If Liberal SA actually had any decent policies that were well thought out and formulated, that they released, Labor would not be able to simply copy them. It would be rather obvious....
And in fact, if they had any decent policies, they could actually appeal to voters as an alternative.
The reason Labor keeps getting voted back in is because there is no alternative being provided. So rather then go with the unknown and take a risk, people are happy to stick with what they know.
And Labor has not let us down all that much. In fact they have delivered quite a lot and are continuing to deliver.

This notion that we can't afford things is ridiculous and narrow minded, and void of facts.
The fact is that we can afford these things that are being built or in the planning stages. We can actually afford to do a hell of a lot more.
The state has a AAA credit rating.
That means that the state government can borrow money at low interest rates.
It is common practice to borrow money to fund infrastructure projects.
Infrastructure is necessary.
If you aren't going to invest in infrastructure, you may as well not worry about whether you have a AAA credit rating or are downgraded to Junk status.
In fact you may as well board the state up and put a closed for business sign up.
generally the opposition release the majority of their policies just prior to elections. this is basic common sense. something that seems to be lacking in your case.
i suppose you think debt is a good thing too. typical attitude of Labor supporters

rev

#11 Post by rev » Thu May 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Like Will said, you were complaining in one thread we have second rate infrastructure, and in this thread you are complaining about spending money to improve it.

No wonder the Liberal party is a shambles.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by mutt » Thu May 10, 2012 5:53 pm

rev wrote:Like Will said, you were complaining in one thread we have second rate infrastructure, and in this thread you are complaining about spending money to improve it.

No wonder the Liberal party is a shambles.
provide evidence of me complaining about second rate infrastructure, not hearsay
I merely pointed out the dogs breakfast that is the adelaide oval redevelopment. it was a comment on design not cost.

as it turns out the Perth Stadium will barely cost any more and thats at Perth's inflated building costs and 4 years of inflation tax into the future.

rev

#13 Post by rev » Fri May 11, 2012 12:24 am

New Perth stadium $1 billion

Redeveloped Adelaide Oval $535 million

Almost twice the cost for Perth. That's your idea of barely costing more?
:roll:

Aren't you the one complaining about spending money we don't have and going into debt?

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by mutt » Fri May 11, 2012 2:46 am

rev wrote:New Perth stadium $1 billion

Redeveloped Adelaide Oval $535 million

Almost twice the cost for Perth. That's your idea of barely costing more?
:roll:

Aren't you the one complaining about spending money we don't have and going into debt?
Perth's new stadium is estimated to cost $700 million. The remaining $300 million is on surrounding infrastructure as its virtually a greenfield development. I guess you knew this and were hoping I didn't.
In percentage terms it isnt alot more and its going to be a larger stadium, 10,000 more seats. Furhermore as I have mentioned, Perth building costs tend to be higher than anywhere else in the nation.

Its sounding to me like you're just trying to win an argument for arguments sake.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#15 Post by Waewick » Fri May 11, 2012 12:35 pm

it isn't in the city centre is it?