officious grammar thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

officious grammar thread

#16 Post by Aidan » Sun May 27, 2012 5:16 pm

monotonehell wrote:Only because Wayno asked several times.

My grammar and spelling are bad. But I use a lot of tricks to try to weed out my mistakes before they go public.

One of the best tricks is to re-read everything before you press "Submit". If you're using a recent web browser, those red wiggly lines under all your text aren't decoration; they need your attention.
That's all well and good* if you're using a computer, but what about on an iPad? There doesn't seem to be any spellchecking available unless you use the (worse than useless) autocorrect feature, and the touchscreen keyboard is far easier to make mistakes on than the hardware variety. 'Twas not until I got an iPad that I really appreciated the tagline "I'm an excellent speller but a hopless tpyist"!

* Aside from one problem: the spelling dictionary the computer uses. English comes in more flavours than Microsoft and Apple seem to realise.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Aidan

officious grammar thread

#17 Post by Aidan » Sun May 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Wayno wrote:Hmmm, I would have thought the RAA would be against improving congestion (that is, producing a better quality of congestion).
Think again! The quality of congestioon can improve, stay the same or get worse. Which do you think they'd prefer?
Surely they want to reduce congestion?
Surely reducing congestion will speed up the congestion that remains, thus improving its quality?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: officious grammar thread

#18 Post by monotonehell » Sun May 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Aidan wrote:That's all well and good* if you're using a computer, but what about on an iPad? There doesn't seem to be any spellchecking available unless you use the (worse than useless) autocorrect feature, and the touchscreen keyboard is far easier to make mistakes on than the hardware variety. 'Twas not until I got an iPad that I really appreciated the tagline "I'm an excellent speller but a hopless tpyist"!

* Aside from one problem: the spelling dictionary the computer uses. English comes in more flavours than Microsoft and Apple seem to realise.
I thought iPad had spell check built in. Ever see a word with a red dashed line under it?

Here you go...

Of course you're probably stuck with the US English? Should be a way to change the dictionary. Not that you should be using an iPad anyway. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Wayno » Sun May 27, 2012 8:09 pm

Aidan wrote:
Surely they want to reduce congestion?
Surely reducing congestion will speed up the congestion that remains, thus improving its quality?
i'm now experiencing an improved level of annoyance...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Aidan

officious grammar thread

#20 Post by Aidan » Sun May 27, 2012 10:20 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Aidan wrote:That's all well and good* if you're using a computer, but what about on an iPad? There doesn't seem to be any spellchecking available unless you use the (worse than useless) autocorrect feature, and the touchscreen keyboard is far easier to make mistakes on than the hardware variety. 'Twas not until I got an iPad that I really appreciated the tagline "I'm an excellent speller but a hopless tpyist"!

I thought iPad had spell check built in.
It does, but it can't be turned on unless Autocorrect is also on.

Most Microsoft Word users wouldn't use the spellcheck feature if it only worked when Clippy was on. As amazing as it may seem, this is actually worse because while Clippy made using Word annoying, it didn't actually prevent it from beipng used effectively. The iPad's autocorrect feature does prevent it from beipng used effectively. I gave up on it shortly after accidentally after googling Frau is urn bypass bridges.

Samsung could probably increase their market share by 10% if their Galaxy Tab ads highlighted this deficiency.

Nathan

#21 Post by Nathan » Mon May 28, 2012 12:05 am

What rubbish. The iOS autocorrect works perfectly fine. I've logged many hours typing on both my iPad and iPhone (even, *gasp*, working), and rarely run into any issues. The key (as with the auto-correction on any brand of software keyboard) is to fix any false corrections early, as the autocorrect learns.

(And if for whatever reason you're stuck in US English, you can change language in Settings > General > International)

Maximus
Legendary Member!

Re: Officious grammar thread

#22 Post by Maximus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:09 am

Taken from another thread... I thought it deserved posting here. Not really poor grammar, per se, but still...

"Could care less." Rather than "couldn't care less".

Is this one a result of young folk these days tending to slur their speech, so that "couldn't" and "could" start to become indistinguishable?
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by neoballmon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:53 am

I'm relatively young (23) and I've never heard anyone ever say 'could care less' before that post. I did think it was strange when I saw it. It could just be a regional thing, maybe the OP lives in northern suburbs, for example, and its commonplace to say that up there, and it just hasn't extended down south yet.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by Maximus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:05 am

The problem is that it doesn't make sense! :) What's trying to be said is that something is of such insignificance that it's not possible for you to care less about it. "Could care less" is totally non-sensical in that case.

Then again, I suppose most expressions become bastardised over the years. It's common-place now for people to say "the proof is in the pudding". No, the proof isn't actually located in the pudding -- the proof of the pudding (i.e. its quality) is in the eating. Is what the expression actually is.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:02 pm

I think that particular mistake was due to the common typo where your brain works faster that your fingers and you leave out the "n't" on the end of words. Completely changes the meaning of the sentence.

But there have been people saying "could care less" in common speech. I remember someone doing a comedy/rant on the topic.

Uncle Monty
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by Uncle Monty » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Can we include spelling in this discussion?

If so, can Shuz explain what an affliation is?

"Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affliation with."

skyliner

#27 Post by skyliner » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Isn't it afilliated with some other word?
Jack.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Wayno » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Uncle Monty wrote:...of which I have an affliation with.
...with which I have an affliation. :wink:

Picky i know, as a preposition is not a bad word to end a sentence with.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

skyliner

#29 Post by skyliner » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Wayno wrote:
Uncle Monty wrote:...of which I have an affliation with.
...with which I have an affliation. :wink:

Picky i know, as a preposition is not a bad word to end a sentence with.
And there you have the affiliation alluded to before.
Jack.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by monotonehell » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:15 pm