Glenelg our most dense suburb

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1 Post by Omicron » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:02 pm

ADELAIDE residents prepared to sacrifice living space and backyards for a beachside lifestyle are cramming into two of the city's premier suburbs.

Glenelg and Glenelg South are the two most populated suburbs in South Australia, followed by Ferryden Park, results from RP Data show.

In the country, Risdon Park in Port Pirie is the most populated suburb or town, followed by Whyalla Sturt and Newtown in Kadina.

RP Data senior research analyst Cameron Kusher said Glenelg and Glenelg South were small in size but large in apartment numbers.

"The significant supply of units increases the population and, subsequently, the density," Mr Kusher said.

Housing Trust stock at Ferryden Park also increased its population, he said.

"The public housing would have an impact as they are typically on quite small lots and, as a result, more people are crammed into a smaller area."

Despite burgeoning apartment projects in the city, the Adelaide CBD did not feature on the list.

Mr Kusher said it would take time and was not due to a lack of confidence in the city. "It is probably more reflective of the fact that, to date, few inner-city apartment projects have been delivered in the CBD."

Lesley Bedini and her stepmother moved from Partridge St in Glenelg to a beachfront apartment in Glenelg South about a month ago.

"We just moved around the corner - living up here is wonderful," Ms Bedini said.

"There has been big development here with all the apartments and I think people are moving to places that haven't got the big backyard.

"You don't need a backyard when you have the beach."

Toop & Toop sales partner Grant Wills said the lifestyle at Glenelg and Glenelg South attracted residents and tourists. "It's a great lifestyle, summer or winter, and you have plenty of cafes and a nice, relaxed environment."

He said the supply of apartments allowed more people to live at the Bay.

"Certainly, it's become quite affordable to buy or even to rent. You can get absolute beachfront for the very low $300,000s at the moment. I think that's a really great opportunity."
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/real-esta ... 6422002857

And because online newspapers are strange and rarely upload any of the supporting images used in the hard copy, here's the accompanying table:

Suburb/People per square kilometre
Glenelg/3619
Glenelg South/3375
Ferryden Park/3370
Parkside/3346
Exeter/3289
Evandale/3254
Everard Park/3200
Brompton/3170
Kurralta Park/3169
Kensington/3128

It's not even close to the list that I'd have guessed. Very surprising indeed.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

Re: Glenelg our most dense suburb

#2 Post by mutt » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:32 pm

why are people cramming into Ferryden Park?

Aidan

#3 Post by Aidan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:45 am

mutt wrote:why are people cramming into Ferryden Park?
Housing trust houses being replaced with smaller ones.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4 Post by rev » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Large blocks of land which contained those 'split down the middle' trust homes were divided up into smaller blocks. Obviously this means there are now more people living in the area then before.
If you think the new homes built on them, with a small front and back yard, are smaller, then you should look at nearmap.

Some of the trust homes are still around, and my house is four times the size.

[Shuz]

#5 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:53 pm

Not surprising Glenelg and Glenelg South are our densest suburbs. Just looking at Nearmap, you can see that the bulk of the suburb is littered by those big unit blocks. Although they're only 1 or two storeys at most, there would be about 6-10 'households' for each of those unit blocks.

Glenelg really does need more high-rises. I find it ironic that the NIMBY's who live in the area opposing high-rise development and increased density, based on the premise that it'll ruin the 'character' of the area, likely live in one of those shitty early 80s brick-clad unit blocks with no backyard anyways. Pot. Kettle. Black.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Wayno » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:55 pm

By comparison here's the densest suburbs in Sydney & Melbourne.
syd.jpg
syd.jpg (132.39 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
melb.jpg
melb.jpg (177 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by mutt » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:54 pm

Aidan wrote:
mutt wrote:why are people cramming into Ferryden Park?
Housing trust houses being replaced with smaller ones.
oh right that makes perfect sense
replace trust homes with even smaller dwellings

no wonder everyone is flocking there

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:56 pm

The blocks from trust homes were large. They've been carved up into smaller blocks.
Bigger homes are being built on smaller blocks of land.

This is the nation wide trend for over ten years now. Don't tell me you guys haven't noticed that the traditional Aussie home on a big block of land is disappearing?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by crawf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:19 pm

I thought Glenelg would be higher, surprised that the Adelaide CBD or North Adelaide didn't make the list.

We need more denser suburbs.