SA's Time Zone

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Maximus
Legendary Member!

Re: SA's Time Zone

#16 Post by Maximus » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:48 am

Glad to see the general support for UTC +9 from the clearly learned S-A community. :) I'd hoped this wouldn't get side-tracked in a daylight saving debate, but that's a minor quibble. Personally, I'm in favour of its retention.

Nathan, instead of removing DLS and everyone getting up an hour earlier during summer, why don't we keep DLS and you just get up an hour later? :wink:

One would imagine that NT would follow us if the change were to happen. Half-hour time zones are reasonably uncommon around the world, so I reckon NT would be happy to follow so long as we took the lead. Sad thing is that it would take a leader with far more stones than what we've seen recently to make a change like this. Imagine the controversy!
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:58 pm

It does have some merit changing it to 9+, but would be a massive controversy here in Adelaide. Though the western half of the state would probably love the idea.

Maybe we should have a poll added?

Which timezone do you support for SA?...
9.5+ (current)
10+ (AEST)
9+
Undecided

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by rhino » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:45 pm

nathan wrote:I much prefer the notion that people who want an extra hour in the evening to enjoy the sunshine should just instead start work an hour earlier.
Maximus wrote:Nathan, instead of removing DLS and everyone getting up an hour earlier during summer, why don't we keep DLS and you just get up an hour later? :wink:

Considering the first suggestion above, the second suggestion makes so much sense I would love to read a reply. :)
cheers,
Rhino

[Shuz]

#19 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:56 pm

If I had pick one, I'd say go back 1/2 hour to +9UTC but keep DST in summer for 6 months.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#20 Post by Nathan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:53 pm

Maximus wrote:Nathan, instead of removing DLS and everyone getting up an hour earlier during summer, why don't we keep DLS and you just get up an hour later? :wink:
rhino wrote:Considering the first suggestion above, the second suggestion makes so much sense I would love to read a reply. :)
I understand that suggestion since everyone is so attached to the status quo. My feeling though is that daylight saving is such an artificial construct, and that this silly changing of clocks is just a case of forced delusion. Why create a workaround to return to the original situation? Plus we wouldn't have to put up with newspaper letters to the editor pages being filled with people complaining about faded curtains every year, and that's a worthy cause on its own. ;)

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by Maximus » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:36 am

My dad never changed his watch for DLS and pretty much just led his life as if 'normal time' were in force during summer, save for the odd occasion where society forced him to acknowledge DLS -- e.g. an appointment with someone. So I do understand your point of view. :)

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by mshagg » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:33 pm

Nathan wrote:
rhino wrote:Considering the first suggestion above, the second suggestion makes so much sense I would love to read a reply. :)
I understand that suggestion since everyone is so attached to the status quo. My feeling though is that daylight saving is such an artificial construct, and that this silly changing of clocks is just a case of forced delusion. Why create a workaround to return to the original situation? Plus we wouldn't have to put up with newspaper letters to the editor pages being filled with people complaining about faded curtains every year, and that's a worthy cause on its own. ;)
I's a trick, but it's one that seems to work well. The disruption is minimal and facilitates the "enjoyment of the extra sunshine" without businesses having to make process and systems changes.

I dont agree with the idea that we need to go to EST/EDST. I work closely with Vic and NSW colleagues and it's very rare that the 30 min difference is an issue. Just remember outlook automatically adjusts cal appointments lol.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by Hooligan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Maximus wrote:My dad never changed his watch for DLS and pretty much just led his life as if 'normal time' were in force during summer, save for the odd occasion where society forced him to acknowledge DLS -- e.g. an appointment with someone. So I do understand your point of view. :)

I'm guessing your dad is a seinfield fan.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by Maximus » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:06 am

Hooligan wrote:
Maximus wrote:My dad never changed his watch for DLS and pretty much just led his life as if 'normal time' were in force during summer, save for the odd occasion where society forced him to acknowledge DLS -- e.g. an appointment with someone. So I do understand your point of view. :)

I'm guessing your dad is a seinfield fan.
Oh lord no! He hates all that "American rubbish". British comedy all the way! :lol:

Nort

#25 Post by Nort » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:07 pm

[Shuz] wrote:If I had pick one, I'd say go back 1/2 hour to +9UTC but keep DST in summer for 6 months.
So if I understand correctly you are saying be in sync with New South Wales and Victoria for 6 months of the year, and an hour behind them for the rest of it? That actually seems like a pretty good solution.

[Shuz]

#26 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:49 am

I'm not aware of what the other states time zone arrangements are in full detail, but basically to put into context right at this very moment in time as I write this post (now 8:45am) it would be 8:15am, and then when we change the clocks in a couple of weeks time for DST it would be 9:15am for the next 6 months. Not sure how NSW or Victoria fit into that arrangement?

Basically the DST arrangements should just be as simple as taking effect on October 1st every year, and ending March 31st, regardless whether it's a weekday or weekend. None of this 2nd weekend in the month crap.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.