Future of Adelaide Arena

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Vee
Legendary Member!

Future of Adelaide Arena

#1 Post by Vee » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:47 am

The future of one of Adelaide's sporting venues is in jeopardy. The Adelaide Arena is a purpose built basketball stadium in Findon. The Commonwealth Bank took over ownership from the stadium's previous owner, Eddy Groves following the collapse of the ABC Learning Centres. The Arena was put up for sale by EOI.

Expressions of interest have come from two parties - one a church and one a basketball entity. This would be a sad loss for South Australia if this stadium is taken over by a church and lost to sport and a serious blow to the Adelaide 36ers and Adelaide Lightning and Adelaide's ability to host national and international basketball events and other Tournaments eg Masters Games etc.

Other sporting groups eg the Crows use the facility as an alternative training venue, particularly during inclement/extreme weather.

The Adelaide Arena is one of the best basketball venues in the country (Perth has just opened its new stadium). I am anxious about its fate but hopeful that it can remain as a sporting venue.
More:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/bas ... 6529291320

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Future of Adelaide Arena

#2 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Sorry Vee, but are you taking the piss? Adelaide Arena is basically a shed in the middle of suburbia. Hardly 'one of the best in the country', unless you literally mean country, as in rural areas. :P
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by peas_and_corn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:52 pm

I've never heard of it before :?

Vee
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Vee » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:12 pm

No. It really is a good venue.
Perhaps take a look inside via a basketball telecast of a 36ers game, if you have never been to the basketball. And compare it to the other venues around the country. It is well fitted out and has a good capacity. 8000 seats plus corporate boxes.

Check
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Arena

The Adelaide Arena has been chosen to host the NBL All Stars game later this month (22 Dec).
http://www.basketballsa.com.au/index.ph ... faf48e645d

Perth has just opened a new basketball venue (and athletics stadium) which is now the pacesetter but Adelaide's is still a great venue. Too good to become a church and force the basketball teams out.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Aidan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:59 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:I've never heard of it before :?
You probably know of it by its original name: the Clipsal Powerhouse.

Good venue on the inside, but rather poorly located. It isn't even on a bus route (though neither is it particularly far from one either).
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:51 pm

Aidan wrote:
You probably know of it by its original name: the Clipsal Powerhouse.

Good venue on the inside, but rather poorly located. It isn't even on a bus route (though neither is it particularly far from one either).
Indeed, after reading up on it a bit I realised that I knew its former name. I wasn't aware of these name changes it's gone though.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by Allkai » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:48 am

Aidan wrote:
Correct, it's on three.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by Vee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Great news for basketball and sporting fans.

News is out that the Adelaide Arena stadium has a new owner and that it will remain as a basketball venue and home to the Adelaide 36ers. I was dreading the possibility that it be converted to a church and lost to the 36ers and Lightning teams and for special purpose events. More details tomorrow.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by Shahkar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:22 pm

It may be ok for now, but I would much rather see the 36ers move to a redeveloped Memorial Drive in the future.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Matt » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:24 pm

DaShyFreak wrote:It may be ok for now, but I would much rather see the 36ers move to a redeveloped Memorial Drive in the future.
Very much so.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Vee » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:39 pm

A redeveloped Memorial Drive would be a great attraction to sports fans.
Alas, we lost our tennis sponsorship of our major state tennis championship and it went to Brisbane, with its new tennis centre. I can't see this happening any time soon.

Good to see the new owners of The Arena, Scouts SA and SA Church Basketball have guaranteed the venue will be the home for the Adelaide 36ers and the Lightning and it will become a multi-purpose facility to meet the needs of more sports and our youth.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/bas ... 6611832030

Some comments on the buyout of The Arena by noted SA basketball writer/blogger, Boti Nagy.
http://www.botinagy.com/blog/be-prepared-great-news/