Who actually does their grocery shopping in Rundle Mall?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Who actually does their grocery shopping in Rundle Mall?

#1 Post by Aidan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:59 pm

HSLtd. wrote:I don't live in the city, I visit once or twice a month -

So as you all know Rundle Place is opening tomorrow, and one of the main shops are a Coles supermarket to compete with the Woolworths. I never understood this - I couldn't think of anything worse than needing to do grocery shopping on Rundle Mall! Parking, dragging trolleys, etc.

Do you / would you shop in Woolies or Coles?
Not the main grocery shopping, but when I'm in Rundle Mall anyway and running low on certain groceries, it makes sense to buy them there rather than make an extra trip somewhere else.

Considering the increase in City population, it's surprising they've waited this long to open another Coles. And considering the strength of their rivalry with Woolworths, I wonder whether Woolworths will retaliate by opening another branch around Victoria Square or Chinatown??
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#2 Post by neoballmon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:07 pm

As you might have noticed with Woolies in the mall, it is very convenience store orientated still, with the Woolies feel. From what I remember, there isn't a single large register with a conveyor belt. It's all express lanes and self serve checkouts. I assume Coles will be the same.
But it does make me wonder how these stores can be so successful with full product range, and large quantities of perishable stock (I went in one and there was a massive display table full of cut watermelon. I know for a fact (in Coles, i assume Woolies have a similar policy) these are supposed to be on show for 4 hours out of refrigeration before coming off! ) But if it works for them, then no point stopping now.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by crawf » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:18 pm

Being just a few kilometres from town, I usually get a few things at either Woolworths or Coles/Markets if I'm in town.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Norman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:55 pm

I would have thought that the city supermarkets would cater for... wait for it... the city residents, they need toilet paper and food as well!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by monotonehell » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:57 pm

HSLtd. wrote:I don't live in the city, I visit once or twice a month -

So as you all know Rundle Place is opening tomorrow, and one of the main shops are a Coles supermarket to compete with the Woolworths. I never understood this - I couldn't think of anything worse than needing to do grocery shopping on Rundle Mall! Parking, dragging trolleys, etc.

Do you / would you shop in Woolies or Coles?
I do almost all my grocery shopping in Rundle Mall Woolies, as do most of the other residents around here. Some of the less lazy trundle down to Central Markets.

I'm looking forward to the new Coles as a bit of competition. Not that our duopoly sees much of that.

I think your problem is that you're trapped in a particular mindset. Note your words in red. What makes you think shopping for groceries must involve any of these things?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan

#6 Post by Nathan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:27 am

I use the Rundle Mall Woolworths for weekday supplies while I'm at work. I've never really understood the 'big grocery run', with the trolley overflowing. Even at our local supermarket my wife and I never buy more than fits in two bags, and then walk back home. Maybe it's just a habit we picked up when we lived in the city and did our shopping at the Central Market.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by SRW » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:00 am

Also living only a couple of kms from the city, it makes sense for me to pick up groceries on my way home, rather than heading out again once there. Like Nathan, I abstain from big shops and only ever grab as much as I can carry, not only because I prefer to walk, but because it helps me minimise waste. But to the question, I think you'll find the supermarket is pretty well-patronised by city residents themselves. Us out-of-towners are just the cream on top.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Waewick

#8 Post by Waewick » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:08 pm

I do shopping all the time from a near on full shop to a top up shop.

claybro

#9 Post by claybro » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Woolies there is usually really busy. No reason Coles wont be as well.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by neoballmon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:07 pm

claybro wrote:Woolies there is usually really busy. No reason Coles wont be as well.
I think Woolies will still be favorable to many from the mall as their shop directly fronts the mall where as although accessibility to the lower ground is easier than I'd thought it would be, the store is still significantly set back from the mall. It will do exceptionally well for Grenfell Street for traffic though I think.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by mshagg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:19 pm

Live in the city here and often swing by woolies to grab a bag of groceries on the walk home. Not inclined to go to coles in the mall as can swing past coles on grote if needed.

During the day, see plenty of people in there grabbing their lunch stuff for the working week etc.

Lol if you're thinking of these places as somewhere to drive to and grab a trolley, you're probably a bit off the mark.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#12 Post by rev » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:37 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a trolley in the Woolworths in the mall..?

On the topic slightly...those of you who live in the City, how many of you actually go out to eat at cafes/restaurants/pubs or go for coffee on a week night?
I've always wondered how many of the people you see out at cafes and what not actually live in the city or not.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by monotonehell » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:33 pm

rev wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a trolley in the Woolworths in the mall..?

On the topic slightly...those of you who live in the City, how many of you actually go out to eat at cafes/restaurants/pubs or go for coffee on a week night?
I've always wondered how many of the people you see out at cafes and what not actually live in the city or not.
I go out a lot of nights, weeknights or not. I see people I know live around Rundle Street out and about most nights.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#14 Post by Waewick » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:21 pm

rev wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a trolley in the Woolworths in the mall..?

you aren't allowed to remove them from the shop.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by jk1237 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 pm

Ive got my groceries here every 2nd day so far