Something needs to be done about Sandy Wilkinson

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

Re: Something needs to be done about Sandy Wilkinson

#16 Post by stumpjumper » Tue May 21, 2013 7:03 am

In Wilkinson's defence on that point, there are a lot of very good building designers who are not registered architects, and there is a surprising number of people with architecture degrees (one or two degrees after a 5 or 6 year course) who are designing excellent buildings who have not for various reasons gone through the hoops required to become registered. Not being registered does not mean less skill - registration is not a test of design skill. Wilkinson is in fact a qualified planner too, so you might expect his 'product' to be even better than the product of a registered architect of the same skill and experience. I'm not Wilkinson, by the way...

build 'em smarter
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#17 Post by build 'em smarter » Tue May 21, 2013 9:13 pm

yep I'm well aware of this and those graduates are just that until they are registered. I was just stating that he is on a fine line referring to himself as qualified in architecture, he is one slip away from being in breech as he is implying he is indeed an architect which he is not.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by Aidan » Tue May 21, 2013 11:42 pm

build 'em smarter wrote:yep I'm well aware of this and those graduates are just that until they are registered. I was just stating that he is on a fine line referring to himself as qualified in architecture, he is one slip away from being in breech as he is implying he is indeed an architect which he is not.
He's not implying it, you're inferring it!

If others also infer it, it is likely to be because their definition of architect differs from the legal definition so much that by their standards he is an architect.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by stumpjumper » Wed May 22, 2013 3:29 pm

There's often a grey area in professional descriptions which has nothing to do with competence. In architecture, a really good building designer may produce better design solutions than a registered architect. It's the same with accountancy - and I know there are a few accountants posting on here.

Anyone can call themselves a building designer and offer design services, and as far as I know anyone can call themselves an accountant, from a bookkeeper to a certified practising accountant to a chartered accountant.

The status of 'registered' in these professions may mean no more than a gong on the wall and the accrual of professional development points. IOther than that, the title doesn't reflect actual competency, although it may reflect an expected standard of competency.

Lawyers, typically, have their job description well locked up. You can be a 'business consultant, but you can't appear in court and argue on someone's behalf without having a current practising certificate.

The architecture profession protects only the bare word 'architect'. Sandy can call himself an architectural designer or a building designer, as long as he doesn't 'hold out' that he is registered.

However, it's one thing to offer design, accountancy or other professional-type services, and another to hold out that you possess a status in the profession that you don't have.

The best test is to look at a service provider's recent work, or references if they are available.