Lights, culture, action: how to fix Adelaide after dark

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
wll6568
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Lights, culture, action: how to fix Adelaide after dark

#16 Post by wll6568 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:23 am

[Shuz] wrote:They really should set up Northern Lights again, permanently.
Strongly agree!!! Northern light should be a permanent feature, with more cafes opening up on North Terrace, overlooking the buildings.

wll6568
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#17 Post by wll6568 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:25 am

Waewick wrote:I think a lot of the problem we have is our English way of thinking

that is work 8.30 - 5 Dinner at 6-6.30 and in bed by 10 (I'm being very broad here), we are very rigid still, I think that is changing however.

what to me makes the cities I enjoyed visiting great is a atmosphere which is relaxed, i.e families and groups of people eating out at 8,9 and 10 O'clock.

As a suburban city, we will always struggle to have that atmosphere because people don't leave in and near the "eateries" so they always have to drive home, so unless we can significantly improve our PT to get people home after hours, well we are stuffed.

I spent some time in Osaka, whilst nowhere near as fantastic as Tokyo or as traditional as Kyto, it still has much to offer - If you go to their main entertainment precinct you will be fascinated, but I'm not sure Adelaide has the ability to match that kind of busyness (Google Osaka streets or Glico Running Man sign and start google mapping from there)

edit - the area is D?tonbori
May be the problem is we have some of the most conservative minded councillors in the city... who never actually gone out to see the rest of the world. They think everyone needs to go home and spend time with family after 5pm.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by Shahkar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:10 pm

AtD wrote:
monotonehell wrote:Shopping hours are pretty much deregulated, and yet most shops still close before 6pm.
Except on the two of the biggest trading days of the week.
+1. 9pm would be ideal for atleast Mon-Fri and when the shops close, they can have dinner in the CBD. But, why not totally deregulate shopping hours? Why go only half the way?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:01 am

Shahkar wrote:
AtD wrote:
monotonehell wrote:Shopping hours are pretty much deregulated, and yet most shops still close before 6pm.
Except on the two of the biggest trading days of the week.
+1. 9pm would be ideal for atleast Mon-Fri and when the shops close, they can have dinner in the CBD. But, why not totally deregulate shopping hours? Why go only half the way?
Like I said. Shops ARE already allowed to open until 9pm each weeknight, but most close before 6pm.

While I don't disagree with complete deregulation, my point is that the regulations are not the problem.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Colen001
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#20 Post by Colen001 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:44 am

Northern lights should be a permanent feature, it made that area so much more "vibrant" during the arts festival. It could be changed throughout the year, promoting different designs amongst schools, the universities, dare I say advertising (within reason/ design requirements) and would be a good, unique draw card along our cultural boulevard without demeaning their heritage. Promoting more people, safer streets etc etc. I guess when it comes to deregulation of shopping hours you can only lead a horse to water right? Its going to take more than just shops to make it work, there needs to be something drawing people in to the mall in order for shops wanting to stay open later, Im thinking cafes, bars, coffee shops, desert bars and so on. As for PT I agree completely with the above comments, more frequent, free after midnight, trains and trams included and Friday/Sat late running. Do love those northern lights though..great times

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by AtD » Thu May 09, 2013 1:06 pm

monotonehell wrote:Like I said. Shops ARE already allowed to open until 9pm each weeknight, but most close before 6pm.

While I don't disagree with complete deregulation, my point is that the regulations are not the problem.
I don't agree - weekends and public holidays!

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#22 Post by Waewick » Thu May 09, 2013 2:40 pm

here is an idea

how about we remove all the inbuilt subsidies on greenfield developments and focus the savings on subsidising high quality apartments aimed at families.....

just say'n :cheers:

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by spiller » Fri May 10, 2013 2:01 pm

Restaurant trading hours on week nights is a big one. I mean why does the kitchen close early? It's a ridiculous notion for a venue that serves food to close its kitchen well before the rest of the establishment closes. In all of the great cities I've been to, restaurants and bars are serving food for as long as the doors are open.

My fiancé and I tried to eat a new bar on KWS on Wednesday night and were turned away at 8.55pm because their kitchen had closed. There were still 20-30 other patrons in the bar at this point in time.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by monotonehell » Fri May 10, 2013 3:31 pm

spiller wrote:Restaurant trading hours on week nights is a big one. I mean why does the kitchen close early? It's a ridiculous notion for a venue that serves food to close its kitchen well before the rest of the establishment closes. In all of the great cities I've been to, restaurants and bars are serving food for as long as the doors are open.

My fiancé and I tried to eat a new bar on KWS on Wednesday night and were turned away at 8.55pm because their kitchen had closed. There were still 20-30 other patrons in the bar at this point in time.
Again (I could be wrong on this) this is not due to legislation forcing the kitchens to close, it's a business decision the restaurant's managers make based on the cost to operate the kitchen outside of the busier times. I have noticed that after business picked up around Rundle Street a few places have extended their kitchen hours. So it's chicken and egg - we need to encourage people to patronise places more and then they will respond to demand. Remember it's demand and supply, not supply and demand as it's usually said.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

[Shuz]

#25 Post by [Shuz] » Fri May 10, 2013 5:03 pm

spiller wrote:Restaurant trading hours on week nights is a big one. I mean why does the kitchen close early? It's a ridiculous notion for a venue that serves food to close its kitchen well before the rest of the establishment closes. In all of the great cities I've been to, restaurants and bars are serving food for as long as the doors are open.

This.

THIS.

THIS.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by Shahkar » Fri May 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Not too bad I suppose!
Report on Adelaide's night-time economy shows fewer people are relying on take-away food

PERFORMING arts, restaurants and cafes are driving Adelaide's night-time economy but fewer people are relying on take-away food after dark, a new report shows.

The National Local Government Drug and Alcohol Committee has today launched a report into Australia's night time economies.

The study, the first of its kind, looked at data from 2009 to 2011 in 12 local government areas including every capital city except Canberra.

It found, in the Adelaide City Council area, cafes and restaurants accounted for the greatest amount of activity after dark, bringing in 46 per cent of all night time revenue.

Pubs, taverns and bars drew 17 per cent of spending, which the report says is close to double the amount spent in the other locations surveyed.

However, people are turning away from take-away food, evidenced by a 10 per cent drop in spending at fast food outlets.

The biggest increase over the two years was in the creative and performing arts which generated an extra $10 million over the time period.

Gambling revenue rose by almost $2 million but declined in other states.

Premier Jay Weatherill said the report's time frame did not take into account changes made by the State Government to liquor laws, such as introducing new small bar licences.

"I think in anyone's view, Adelaide's nightlife has come a long way from two years ago," he said.

"Places like Udaberri, Clever Little Tailor, Jack Ruby and Cantina Sociale, to name just a few, have all opened recently and added a fresh vibe to the city's nightlife.

"Also, I'm sure with football returning to Adelaide Oval, the city will be an even more active and lively place to spend a night out."

The report identifies that Adelaide's night time economy accounts for more than 10 per cent of all employment in the city.

The sector supports about 10,060 direct jobs in services provided after dark but, overall, employment fell by two per cent between 2009 and 2011.

The arts, gaming, clubs, sports and prostitution employed more people over the two years while employment fell in liquor retailing, bars, take away food outlets, cafes and restaurants.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by Shahkar » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:57 pm

The new 43 person Citizen Jury is currently looking for submissions for "How can we ensure we have a vibrant and safe Adelaide nightlife?" Alongside with the Riverbank Precint, maybe someone should look towards this as well?

http://saplan.org.au/pages/citizens-jury

rhino

#28 Post by rhino » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:18 am

Colen001 wrote:Northern lights should be a permanent feature, it made that area so much more "vibrant" during the arts festival.
The area was more vibrant because so many people were there to see the Northern Lights .... BECAUSE they are not permanent! Sad fact - when something is always available people make less effort to go and see it / use it because it will be there another time when they can be more bothered.

Why not have the Northern Lights in Victoria Square for the duration of the Cycling season (Tour Down Under time). Why not move them to the Festival Theatre / Railway Station precinct for the duration of the Guitar Festival and for night games at Adelaide Oval?

Look at how ho-hum the lights on the car park on Pulteney/Rundle have become, because they are always there. Great feature, but not something that draws people to the area.
cheers,
Rhino