Operation Ban Faux Sandstone

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Operation Ban Faux Sandstone

#1 Post by Waewick » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:08 am

Looking around the city, our recent developments are forced to utilise the bland colour associated with Sandstone and Faux Sandstone.

I have even heard from developers that wanted to do something so outrageous as paint their build white....which was turned down by the council in favour of the sandstone look.

Whilst I understand we have a a number of councillors who still believe we are in the early 1900's I personally think, the bland and boring buildings we are being provided with is a direct result of Council interference.

So, I want to start a charge to Ban the usage of Faux Sandstone or sandstone unless the it is the reconstruction of a heritage building.

What do people think? amd I being overly harsh?

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Operation Ban Faux Sandstone

#2 Post by claybro » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:26 pm

My feelings on imitation sandstone are well documented here. Sandstone looks fine on heritage buildings and when used sparingly as a feature on new buildings. However, it is being overdone, I believe to placate the council which wants everything to look uniform. It has led to a city which lacks that modern, light clean look. Aside from Melbourne, which has a dark brooding atmosphere in the CBD, our other capitals, Perth and Brisbane in particular have a light airy feel despite towering skyscrapers, double the hight of our buildings. Use of relective glass and light colour (white) painted concrete and cladding leads to a cleaner brighter look in those cities. Our facades in comparison look dated and grubby and dull.