Television Broadcasting in Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Phantom
High Rise Poster!

Television Broadcasting in Adelaide

#1 Post by Phantom » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:54 pm

So, after doing some reading around on the forums, I've came to the realisation that we don't actually have a thread about Television in Adelaide.

Here's some background on it all:

On September 5, 1959, NWS-9 began broadcasting, to become Adelaide's first television station. A month and a half later on October 24, ADS-7 kicked off its own rival station and the television owners of Adelaide were now given a choice of which channel to watch the nightly news from. The Australian Broadcasting Corporation finally made the leap from radio to television broadcasting on March 11, 1960, and on July 26, 1965 a fourth channel was established, being run under the call-sign of SAS-10, creating a status-quo within Adelaide's broadcasting community, which wouldn't be broken for another two decades.

The Special Broadcasting Service was given the rights to expand into Adelaide, Brisbane and the Central Coast, after successfully running stations in Melbourne and Sydney since the end of 1980, finally becoming Adelaide's fifth permanent station on June 30, 1985. By late 1987, ADS-7 had become acquired by associates of the Ten Network, while SAS-10 had fallen into the hands of the owners of Channel Seven in Perth. This created some confusion, until a deal was brokered between the two, seeing both stations switch station numbers on December 17, 1987, to now create new call-signs of SAS-7 and ADS-10.

In the early 90's, the Australian Broadcasting Authority took in applications for tentative licenses to broadcast in each of Australia's major cities. With this, a new station called "Adelaide Community and Education Television" or ACE TV for short was established, beginning their broadcasting in May, 1994. ACE TV proclaimed their station channel number as Channel 6, despite physically broadcasting off of the Channel 31 band (often reserved for Community Broadcasters). ACE TV however, found themselves in hot water after breaching their contractual obligations, failing to broadcast after May 25, 2002 and were disbanded in December of that same year. The community television license for Adelaide was picked up by a new group named C31, which was launched on the April 23, in 2004.

With the onset of digital television services, the larger television networks began experimenting with secondary stations. These secondary stations often broadcasted the same as their primary stations, however during special events such as the Olympic Games, they showed footage of events that generally gained a smaller following. These new digital-only stations could all be viewed upon their launch day across the country's major cities. The first of these secondary channels to broadcast its own shows was "ABC2" which was launched on March 7, 2005. The Ten Network then created a "Sports Only" channel, named "One", which was launched on March 26, 2009. More secondary stations soon followed with "SBS Two" launched a few months later on June 1, with the Nine Network's station "GO!" first airing on August 9, the Seven Network launching a secondary station named "7Two" on November 1, and "ABC3" first launching on December 4.

On July 22, 2010, the existing digital stations were joined by Australia's first dedicated, 24 hour, free-to-air news television station in "ABC News 24". "7mate" began broadcasting on September 25, with the Nine Network's "GEM" datacasting channel being launched the next day. C31 rebranded itself as 44 Adelaide and began its digital services on November 5, 2010. Network Ten launched a new youth-based channel called "Eleven" on January 11, 2011, instantly capturing a large demographic of Adelaide's viewers.

Since the launch of "Eleven", the next few station launches have been pretty poor in quality in my opinion:

TV4ME................18 September, 2011 (ceased transmissions on 19 May, 2016)
Gold...................01 May, 2012 (ceased transmissions on 27 November, 2013)
TVSN..................24 September, 2012
NITV..................12 December, 2012
SpreeTV..............17 September, 2013
Fresh Ideas TV.......25 November, 2013 (ceased transmissions on 7 December, 2014)
EXTRA................27 November, 2013 (ceased transmissions on 24 September, 2018)
EXTRA2...............27 November, 2013 (ceased transmissions on 26 November, 2015)
Racing.com..........29 August, 2015
Food Network.......17 November, 2015
9Life..................26 November, 2015
7Flix..................28 February, 2016
SBS Viceland.........15 November, 2016
Your Money..........1 October, 2018
7Food Network......1 December, 2018

The only one of these stations I'd consider watching is NITV, if I can come across some Imparja Cup footy or cricket. Apart from that, it's been quite disappointing. Perhaps we're spoilt for choices by having as many free-to-air channels as we do, but honestly, I'm sick of finding a new station pop-up on my TV's channel list, only to find out that it is datacasting VHS quality crap. I'd almost rather not have it, and I'd definitely trade them all for even one more channel that can air anything other than ab-blasters, steak knives and vacuums.

My parents got me and my sister Galaxy back in the day, and I was lucky enough to have Foxtel for a few years, aswell. Is it worth going back to? What do you guys think of this? If I've missed any important points in my timeline, feel free to let me know and I'll gladly edit what I have written! :D
Last edited by Phantom on Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 18 times in total.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Television Broadcasting in Adelaide

#2 Post by Waewick » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:26 pm

they are marketing stations paid for by advertisers, so not so much poor quality, just not intended to have a high quality of program.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by monotonehell » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm impressed with your essay, Phantom. At first I thought you must have copy and pasted from Wikipedia, but I believe this is all your own work. :D
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by Phantom » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:46 pm

Waewick, it's just a touch concerning that these extra channels might bring down the quality of the stations that we do wish to watch. I've read somewhere that this is actually the case. I wouldn't care if most of the channels were in standard definition, as long as the quality of the programming of the datacasting channels was improved, but this will never happen. It's just disheartening to be shown how blatantly the Networks are businesses first and foremost and TV Stations second. It really is a case of them choosing quantity over quality.

Thanks Mono! It is indeed my own work! I got some info from Wiki, but also checked the references and read up on it all.

I also came across this piece of brilliance while researching - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oof5arYPEcs

I'd really love to know what happened to ACE TV, but I was only 11 at the time and I surely didn't really give a damn about it. :P

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by monotonehell » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Phantom wrote:...I'd really love to know what happened to ACE TV, but I was only 11 at the time and I surely didn't really give a damn about it. :P
All I have is rumour. The rumour at the time went: A religious group got their foot in the door and slowly took over by supplying their own volunteers and programming. More and more religious content was shown, money was being funnelled in naughty directions by said group and then questions about executive oversight were asked.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by Phantom » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:48 am

monotonehell wrote:All I have is rumour. The rumour at the time went: A religious group got their foot in the door and slowly took over by supplying their own volunteers and programming. More and more religious content was shown, money was being funnelled in naughty directions by said group and then questions about executive oversight were asked.
Hahaha. So much for God watching all, eh?

Were the signs pretty ominous for ACE TV's demise, or did this kinda come out of left field? There really is very little information about it available online and going by that Today Tonight clip, those involved would probably be pretty reluctant to speak. I really do also wonder if C31/44 Adelaide's operators would know much on the subject? Seriously, I'd love to know more, even if they were just rumours that were heard around the time. I guess it just shows their general lack of knowledge and education on the subject if they had their licence cancelled, without it being anything to do with a massive lack of finance.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but with the religious people that you mentioned Mono, it sounds as though they were showing less and less community based programming and more religious propaganda? If this (added to the lack of education) were the case, then their name of "Adelaide Community and Education Television" actually seems pretty freakin' ironic.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by monotonehell » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:30 am

Phantom wrote:...Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but with the religious people that you mentioned Mono, it sounds as though they were showing less and less community based programming and more religious propaganda? If this (added to the lack of education) were the case, then their name of "Adelaide Community and Education Television" actually seems pretty freakin' ironic.
I don't know any more. I used to watch ACE a lot, there were a few programs (like the Amiga demo show) that I enjoyed. I do remember that the quantity of religious content grew and grew until friends of mine started calling it GodTV.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:17 pm

Wasn't ACE on the same channel that C31 was on?

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by Phantom » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:34 pm

monotonehell wrote:I don't know any more. I used to watch ACE a lot, there were a few programs (like the Amiga demo show) that I enjoyed. I do remember that the quantity of religious content grew and grew until friends of mine started calling it GodTV.
I used to watch something called "Skid Kids" or something like that. It was races from Salisbury Cycle Speedway. The track itself is like a 50m oval. I loved watching that! I remember one time at the very end of ACE TV's time, they had this special episode of Skid Kids, where they showed a montage of all these crashes with the Benny Hill music played in the background. I was in tears with laughter!
Here's some videos I found, where you can see just how badly they seem to faceplant the track! It actually seems pretty bloody painful! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxz1ZFKPUx4 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9w3actq90o
rev wrote:Wasn't ACE on the same channel that C31 was on?
Yeah, pretty much. They were both running off of Adelaide's sole Community TV license at different times, and they both broadcast from Channel Band 31. The only difference was that ACE TV gave itself the number 6, and told people they were ACE 6, even though they actually were by all means Channel 31. I'm assuming they did this as it would probably get them slightly more viewers, as they switched between ABC and Seven, or that 6 is easier to type onto an old TV Control than 31?

Aidan

#10 Post by Aidan » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:56 pm

Last night, for what I think is the first time ever, the programming on SBS HD and SBS1 differed.
SBS1 showed Coast, while SBS HD showed the soccer (which was also on SBS2).

There has been a proposal for a Christian TV channel, but were it to proceed (which now looks unlikely) it would just be a rebroadcast from a satellite channel, with no local content.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by Phantom » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:39 pm

Aidan wrote:Last night, for what I think is the first time ever, the programming on SBS HD and SBS1 differed.
SBS1 showed Coast, while SBS HD showed the soccer (which was also on SBS2).

There has been a proposal for a Christian TV channel, but were it to proceed (which now looks unlikely) it would just be a rebroadcast from a satellite channel, with no local content.
Really? I noticed the show on SBS Two had the SBS One logo at the bottom of the screen, which seemed a bit odd. :P

Stuff like this Christian TV channel just annoys me. Don't we have enough on at 4am anyway? It would probably become another datacasting channel when its funds inevitable dry up. :P

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by spiller » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:24 pm

I've had foxtel since 2007 so am not up to scratch with all of the free to air channels available these days. But, save for sports and the odd series on fox 8, the rest is absolute crap that none of the major commerical stations would bother paying for, and mostly re-runs. keep your money.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by Phantom » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:57 pm

spiller wrote:I've had foxtel since 2007 so am not up to scratch with all of the free to air channels available these days. But, save for sports and the odd series on fox 8, the rest is absolute crap that none of the major commerical stations would bother paying for, and mostly re-runs. keep your money.
Yeah Spiller, I know what you mean. There's about a dozen channels that I'd actually want to see. Fox 8, Fox Sports, ESPN, Sky Racing, Discovery, MTV, The Comedy Channel, etc. Beside these (most of which I think are on the basic package, anyway), I'd have to agree that the other remaining channels are pretty crap. Does Foxtel have a ton of datacasting channels, like free-to-air does?

Also, back when we had Galaxy TV, as a kid, I vaguely recall their main office based at The Levels (now Mawson Lakes) The only other think I can recall about Galaxy was that with it's basic package, it had 10 channels, TV1, Arena, Encore, Showtime, Nickelodeon, Discovery are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Prior to Galaxy going bankrupt in 1998, we started recieving an additional 10 channels, RAI was one of them, and I think that UKTV was another (unless it was in the original ten?)

If anyone had Galaxy TV around the time, I'd love to hear from you!

Nort

#14 Post by Nort » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:42 pm

We had Galaxy back then, but I can't remember heaps about the channels that were available.

The highlights of it for me were Nick At Nite (which showed old sitcoms, and on one weekend night was a six hour block of all the Gerry Anderson shows) and The Graveyard Shift on Arena where the host would show 50's b movies.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by Phantom » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:11 am

Nort wrote:We had Galaxy back then, but I can't remember heaps about the channels that were available.

The highlights of it for me were Nick At Nite (which showed old sitcoms, and on one weekend night was a six hour block of all the Gerry Anderson shows) and The Graveyard Shift on Arena where the host would show 50's b movies.
Gilligan's Island, followed by The Mary Tyler Moore Show!