Adelaide Climate

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
habitat3
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Adelaide Climate

#1 Post by habitat3 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi!

I am from Melbourne and I am thinking of moving to Adelaide.

My reason for wanting to move is the weather. People say Melbourne has 4 seasons in one day when this isn't really true. The way I experience it is 5 months of oppressive overcast weather in end of Autumn/winter/start of spring then normal weather for the rest of the year.

I don't mind the cold, but I am looking for a place that has more blue skies and sunny days in winter. Does Adelaide have a propensity to be overcast for months at a time in winter?

Honest answers would be really appreciated because I really don't want to move to another city that has similar weather as Melbourne. I know Perth and Sydney have sunnier winters but Sydney is too expensive and Perth is too isolated. I also like the 'laid back' feel Adelaide is supposed to have, it sounds more like my home town Brisbane.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide Climate

#2 Post by monotonehell » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:56 pm

Our winters can be cold and rainy, but don't go on for too long. Our summers are hot with patches of 40 degree weather, they don't go on for too long. Mostly Adelaide's weather is quite pleasant, with patches of cold (but not too cold) and hot.

There are overcast periods centring around July for a few months.

It's not Los Angeles, but on average, much nicer than Melbourne's weather.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by UrbanSG » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:31 am

Adelaide has a mediterranean climate with hot dry summers and cool wet winters.

Adelaide's winters are our wettest months of the year. The weather at this time of year is similar to Melbourne's although not as cold, windy and constantly cloudy. We do get some sunshine in winter. However the Adelaide Hills are colder, wetter and more cloudy at this time of year than the plains (CBD and majority of suburbs). Winter in Adelaide is more short lived than Melbourne. We almost go straight from winter to summer and from summer to winter these days. Spring and Autumn aren't like they used to be.

For me the key is the summer months. Our summers are hot and dry. This is very different to Sydney and Brisbane. Both have humid summers with a fair bit of rain and cloud. I lived up in SEQ for a while and realised I don't like that weather in summer and the constantly sunny weather in winter.

In Adelaide it's day after day of hot dry and mostly sunny weather. The heat can get a bit oppressive in summer. Even Melbourne gets more rain and some humid weather in summer compared to Adelaide.

Adelaide's climate is very similar to Perth but without the isolation you are looking to avoid.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Waewick » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:28 pm

The best weather in Adelaide is March-April and August through October!

Vee
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Vee » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi Habitat3 and welcome to the S-A forum.

Others have already outlined the features of our Mediterranean climate.
Winters are not as long and gloomy as Melbourne and by August, we have some nice sunny periods.

It can get very hot with some heatwaves (high 30s, low 40s) especially Jan-March but the inevitable cool change brings relief and, as others have said, our heat is a 'dry heat' rather than the high humidity (and its draining impact) experienced in other cities. This is a critical factor and ameliorates, to some degree, the high temperatures we can experience.

We have great beaches along our metropolitan coastline and beyond - great for summer months and fabulous wine regions in close proximity to the city.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by serca » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:52 pm

Mate by all means move to Adelaide . But If you have the flexibility to move somewhere just because the weather is "nice", sunny and not overcast emmmmm why'd you move out of Brisbane in the first place

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#7 Post by Waewick » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:42 pm

serca wrote:Mate by all means move to Adelaide . But If you have the flexibility to move somewhere just because the weather is "nice", sunny and not overcast emmmmm why'd you move out of Brisbane in the first place
Adelaide has more sunny days the Brisbane for starters :banana:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by monotonehell » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Waewick wrote:
serca wrote:Mate by all means move to Adelaide . But If you have the flexibility to move somewhere just because the weather is "nice", sunny and not overcast emmmmm why'd you move out of Brisbane in the first place
Adelaide has more sunny days the Brisbane for starters :banana:
And fewer oppressive hot humid days, and fewer sudden downpours during summer. (EDIT: Thank you Maximus)

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by Maximus » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:04 am

monotonehell wrote:And less oppressive hot humid days, and less sudden downpours during summer.
Downpours that are less sudden, or fewer downpours that are sudden...? :wink:
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by monotonehell » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:59 am

Maximus wrote:
monotonehell wrote:And less oppressive hot humid days, and less sudden downpours during summer.
FEWER! I meant fewer of course.

Thank you, Sir. The self flagellation will being immediately.

SAR526
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re:Spelling and Grammar.

#11 Post by SAR526 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:43 pm

Greetings and felicitations Maximus. It's good to read that someone other than myself knows the difference between quantity and number. I had thought that I was the last bastion of conformity with the use of 'fewer' for things that can be counted. As for 'lead' instead of 'led' for the past tense of 'lead'...........!

Your little lesson in the correct use of 'its'...'it's' etc.is also a very good idea. I think that if people pronounced 'you're' as 'yoor' and 'your' as 'yor' as they should, the confusion in spelling and meaning would be greatly lessened.

Back in the benighted 1930s when I was learning these things, every child had a book with daily written and oral exercises which were the first things tackled (with a spelling test of the ten words learned overnight) each morning. We couldn't pass from one grade to another without passing an examination which tested our knowledge.

Every subject had a text book which began at alpha and ended in omega, starting in Grade 4 and ending in Grade 7 with the Qualifying Certificate, set and marked in Adelaide, without which graduation from Primary school to further education was impossible.

The Chinese and others still follow such a formal and rigorous system. I wonder if we will ever follow their examples?
“The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye. The more light you shine on it, the more it will contract.”

“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions."

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Maximus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:34 am

SAR526 wrote:Greetings and felicitations Maximus. It's good to read that someone other than myself knows the difference between quantity and number.
Thank you for your kind words, SAR. To be fair, I have absolutely no doubt that Mono also knows the difference between less and fewer, but he (it? :) ) was just having a bad moment. Of course, Mono could have easily just run with my suggestion that the downpours are less sudden and no one else would have been any the wiser. Mind you, I don't think that the downpours in Adelaide during summer are sudden to any degree -- more like extremely well telegraphed thanks to the changing of the winds and marked drop in temperature!

Anyway, should you wish to vent further about the sad decline of our English language, may I kindly direct you to the 'officious grammar thread', which Mono insists doesn't need a capital 'o' -- a point on which I disagree. Nevertheless, I digress.

Top of the morning to you! :)
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by serca » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:20 pm

We Australians will in general never speak proper english ...... cos were not English :) we are glorified bogans and will shorten any word to eliminate the syllables :D unless we wanna call our m8 Rob - Robbo for instance

Can't really compare to the Chinese characters (Hanzi) or even Japanese (Kanji) that has millions of combinations of characters forming their language

Being a climate thread gotta say what sensational weather it is today

Dog
High Rise Poster!

Adelaide Climate

#14 Post by Dog » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:32 pm

I recon we have comparatively great weather. How many times I have watched Kevin McCloud's grand designs, to see some poor UK home builder up to their boot tops in mud, living on site in a caravan with a frozen dunny, unable to deliver supplies with out borrowing a farm tractor or demolishing a new brickwork that froze overnight.
Have they also just got lazy builders? One episode I think it took two masons 6 month to build a chimney and another a team of lime plasterers lived on site for months just plastering.
As if the cold wet weather doesn't slow things up enough I have yet to see a Grand Design's builder with a nail gun or docking saw. (Unless they were German)
And then despite all that UK rain, frost, ice, fog, sleet, hail and snow they have the most peculiar roofing systems guarantied to leak. I am glad we just stick pitched roofs with tiles or iron, as apposed to - shingles, straw, river reads, flat, ply, chip board, felt, bitumen, wielded rubber, vinyl, geranium cuttings, grass, moss, gravel and pebbles.
Anyway I wonder if anyone has calculated the comparative productivity advantage us Adelaide folks have with decent weather, simple roofs, power tools and sharper tradesmen when it comes to home building. And also the comparative leak-ability of dopy systems compared to the good old Aussie roof!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stronic
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by stronic » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:48 pm

PLLLEEEASEEEE people! Adelaide's winters are NOT cold by any stretch. You should try spending winters in Eastern Canada or Europe, now that is cold. Adelaide is actually warmer than most places in Florida as well.

So far in Adelaide during winter I have not felt the need for the heater or fire, all I do is rug up. It cuts costs too :lol: But maybe that's because I'm used to very cold, snowy winters where we are lucky to see a day reach anything above 10 degrees.

Nope, I'd say Adelaide is pretty consistently warm year 'round.

Personally, I hate the summers in Adelaid - way toooo dry and hot. It feels oppressive. 40 degrees and sunshine ain't nothing to brag about either, those kind of temperatures are ridiculous and I'd be concerned if every summer reached that kind of extreme.