Dubai - An example to look up to

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Phantom
High Rise Poster!

Re: Dubai - An example to look up to

#31 Post by Phantom » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Cheers Maximus, the frequency of it all just annoys me. And Monotone, cheers for bringing some sense back into this thread, mate. Much appreciated.

Also Pushy, (not that this is what I want), look at Las Vegas. That place is in the freakin' desert and yet, millions of people flock there every year to spend tons of money!

Mind you in saying that, besides Las Vegas Motor Speedway, I can't think of anything else in Las Vegas... And in all honesty, I kinda can't think of what else is in Nevada besides Reno! (I quickly thought of the Grand Canyon, but that's in Arizona, the next state over). :P

Hmmm... Back to my drawing board...
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Phantom wrote:Cheers Maximus, the frequency of it all just annoys me. And Monotone, cheers for bringing some sense back into this thread, mate. Much appreciated.

Also Pushy, (not that this is what I want), look at Las Vegas. That place is in the freakin' desert and yet, millions of people flock there every year to spend tons of money!

Mind you in saying that, besides Las Vegas Motor Speedway, I can't think of anything else in Las Vegas... And in all honesty, I kinda can't think of what else is in Nevada besides Reno! (I quickly thought of the Grand Canyon, but that's in Arizona, the next state over). :P

Hmmm... Back to my drawing board...
Uhhh, the Hoover Dam?

You know. That massive hydroelectric damn built on the Colorado River - one of the great engineering feats of the 20th century?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

[Shuz]

#33 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:01 pm

pushbutton wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:Hey Pushy, can I have the drugs you're on?
But implying that I am taking drugs definitely crosses the line. There is absolutely no need for that.
Pushy, I'm your friend, not your enemy. You need to lighten up a little. People have called me bat-shit crazy and implied I've taken drugs on these forums as well. Red Mitsubishi, anyone? You need to take it with a grain of salt. It's just all fun and games. Nothing wrong with being bat-shit crazy and enthusiastic - I know I've had my fair share of moments too.

I agree we need more attractions and something to do here in Adelaide - I'm not sure if RollerCoaster Tycoon style theme parks are the answer - but we did used to have an aquarium, Luna Park at Glenelg, TimeZone, Dazzleland, etc. I don't see any reason why we couldn't have these sort of attractions again? I for one would go to such places. So I'm totally behind you 100% on that.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by Phantom » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:00 pm

The Hoover Dam?.. Damn... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhs_-XOP2ZA
[Shuz] wrote:I agree we need more attractions and something to do here in Adelaide - I'm not sure if RollerCoaster Tycoon style theme parks are the answer - but we did used to have an aquarium, Luna Park at Glenelg, TimeZone, Dazzleland, etc. I don't see any reason why we couldn't have these sort of attractions again? I for one would go to such places. So I'm totally behind you 100% on that.
+1. This is why I miss the 1990's and hold it with such high nostalgic regard! I still remember being 5 and my Dad bringing me outside my frontyard at Pooraka and we could hear the faintest of roars from the F1 cars!
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by pushbutton » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:08 pm

That's very surprising (in a good way) Shuz. Pleased to hear I'm not the only one on the forum who enjoys the thrill of theme park style attractions.

I must have misread your post too then. It's just all the constant condemnation of almost everything I was saying on these forums was beginning to get a bit wearing, and I detest drugs (illegal and harmful ones) and was offended that you implied I took them. Anyway if you weren't actually implying that seriously then ok. Sometimes it's hard to know what someone is actually thinking just by reading their text.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#36 Post by pushbutton » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:53 pm

My personal favourite Dubai building. The Crescent Moon Tower.
crescent moon hotel dubai.jpg
crescent moon hotel dubai.jpg (46.12 KiB) Viewed 4641 times

Matt
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by Matt » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:36 am

Has that one been built?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#38 Post by pushbutton » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:09 am

I honestly don't know which of the buildings in this thread have been completed. It's more about the concepts and how amazing they are.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by monotonehell » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:20 am

pushbutton wrote:I honestly don't know which of the buildings in this thread have been completed. It's more about the concepts and how amazing they are.
I had a quick scan of this thread. As far as I can work out, five have been built, one is being constructed and the rest are still architectural wet dreams (not counting the two not in Dubai).
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#40 Post by Maximus » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:40 am

pushbutton wrote:I suppose anyone who has ever dared to dream has been called crazy!
You're dead right there, Pushy. I think most of the world's greatest visionaries (and inventors, scientists, etc) have met plenty of resistance along the way.

No one ever made any progress doing the same thing for ever and a day.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#41 Post by rev » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:20 pm

pushbutton wrote:I recently commented in one of the CBD development threads, as an aside, that if we want Adelaide to become truly sensational, we should raise our standards a lot. I offered Dubai as an example of what can be achieved when people use their imagination with regard to city development.

A couple of people on that thread didn't seem to understand what I meant, so here are just a few random examples of some of the many amazing things to be found in Dubai. I admit I haven't had the pleasure of actually exploring the place myself yet. I've only been in the airport. However it is quite apparent that it is the most exciting, fascinating, fun place in the world, as well as the most progressive in terms of development.

I'm not saying we should copy it, but that we should learn from their attitude.
I think we've found something we kind of agree on finally. :lol:
Adelaide, and Australia for that matter, definitely needs more inspiring architecture.
Even the new BHP tower in Perth, while it looks good, is basically just a big box covered in glass.
Then you look at what's going up not just in Dubai but around the world from China and even London, and you're almost envious.

Nort

#42 Post by Nort » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:38 pm

[Shuz] wrote:.

I agree we need more attractions and something to do here in Adelaide - I'm not sure if RollerCoaster Tycoon style theme parks are the answer - but we did used to have an aquarium, Luna Park at Glenelg, TimeZone, Dazzleland, etc. I don't see any reason why we couldn't have these sort of attractions again? I for one would go to such places. So I'm totally behind you 100% on that.
Those things didn't close because their owners just got bored of them, they closed because they weren't making enough money.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by monotonehell » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Nort wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:.

Those things didn't close because their owners just got bored of them, they closed because they weren't making enough money.
Yes but times have changed again, maybe? People are now coming out of their lounge rooms more, looking for entertainment options. The City is pumping almost every night now. Only a few years ago you wouldn't find a soul out on Monday, Tuesday or even some Wednesdays.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by ml69 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:27 pm

rev wrote:
pushbutton wrote:I recently commented in one of the CBD development threads, as an aside, that if we want Adelaide to become truly sensational, we should raise our standards a lot. I offered Dubai as an example of what can be achieved when people use their imagination with regard to city development.

A couple of people on that thread didn't seem to understand what I meant, so here are just a few random examples of some of the many amazing things to be found in Dubai. I admit I haven't had the pleasure of actually exploring the place myself yet. I've only been in the airport. However it is quite apparent that it is the most exciting, fascinating, fun place in the world, as well as the most progressive in terms of development.

I'm not saying we should copy it, but that we should learn from their attitude.
I think we've found something we kind of agree on finally. :lol:
Adelaide, and Australia for that matter, definitely needs more inspiring architecture.
Even the new BHP tower in Perth, while it looks good, is basically just a big box covered in glass.
Then you look at what's going up not just in Dubai but around the world from China and even London, and you're almost envious.
Dubai, China and London all have bucket loads of money .... we don't.

Cream
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#45 Post by Cream » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:27 pm

Here we go, this guy has the same idea...
Build a giant theme park in the Adelaide parklands and they will come
http://www.news.com.au/national/build-a ... 6782391372

I can't say I fully agree with this opinion. Not every city can have theme parks, we'd never be able to compete with the Gold Coast. However I think we'd have enough demand for a Wet n Wild, like the one that has just opened in Western Sydney. Ideally it should be partly indoors so it could remain open year round.

On the topic of Dubai, I was there around a month ago... It all looks very impressive, but there isn't actually that much to do there. You can easily experience all the major attractions in 2 or 3 days. I'd hope Adelaide had more substance than that where people would want to stay longer, and I actually think we do.