official complaining about the weather thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Phantom
High Rise Poster!

Re: Fourth hottest day on record - 45.1 degrees!

#46 Post by Phantom » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:29 pm

I believe it's 5 consecutive days of over 35, or also 3 consecutive days of over 37.

Or maybe it's 5 days of 37 or 3 days of 40? I can't quite remember. Either way, excessive. :P

What I do remember though is that the epic heatwave we had in 2008-09 was so intense, that we had more than 5 days of 40 and the heatwave officially lasted for something in the vicinity of 12 days.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#47 Post by rev » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:14 pm

I think its 4 days over 35, perhaps 36. Then it's "officially" a heatwave.

Regardless, I love this weather. Hope it continues on till March. :banana:
A nice tan for the summer, then I'm pissing off to Europe for more summer :cheers:

stronic
High Rise Poster!

#48 Post by stronic » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:51 pm

rev wrote:I think its 4 days over 35, perhaps 36. Then it's "officially" a heatwave.

A nice tan for the summer, then I'm pissing off to Europe for more summer :cheers:
Ugh, what's wrong with you? This kind of weather makes me sick. Evidently, it also makes others sick too, considering hospital admissions and deaths increased over this summer. I'm going to move somewhere mild, where I can actually enjoy being outdoors without asphyxiating.

South Australia needs to get real about the effects of climate change. I can't see many sticking around here if this weather becomes commonplace.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#49 Post by jk1237 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:31 pm

We've now broken so many heat records just in the last 5 years. What the hell is going on?

Our average day temp over the last month is greater than that of Alice Springs

rev

#50 Post by rev » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:57 am

stronic wrote:
rev wrote:I think its 4 days over 35, perhaps 36. Then it's "officially" a heatwave.

Ugh, what's wrong with you? This kind of weather makes me sick. Evidently, it also makes others sick too, considering hospital admissions and deaths increased over this summer. I'm going to move somewhere mild, where I can actually enjoy being outdoors without asphyxiating.

South Australia needs to get real about the effects of climate change. I can't see many sticking around here if this weather becomes commonplace.

:lol:
A lot of people have asked me what's wrong with me and if I'm normal recently.

I really don't think it's going to affect too many people and their decision making process about where to move to.
Melbourne has terrible weather. Four seasons in a day they call it.
Queensland is humid. And gets cyclones battering the coast.
Their population growth out performs SA's year after year.

If there is work and reasons to move here, people will move here.
Until then, the weather is the least of their concerns.

And another day over 40. :cheers:

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#51 Post by Phantom » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:01 am

I can't sleep. It's too humid and muggy. I'm honestly struggling to breathe at the moment. This is chaos!

I also found on this on Channel Nine's YouTube account.

But hey, I gotta say, it's better than the constant amount of record-breaking heat we've had!

By the way, is anyone up to go and visit 'The "Garden" of Unearthly Delights"?

Perhaps we should rename this to "The Weather Thrread" or something similar?

rev

official complaining about the weather thread

#52 Post by rev » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:25 am

This is great weather.
Long hot dry spell followed by a big downpour.
All we are missing now is some thunder and lightning.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: official complaining about the weather thread

#53 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:46 am

Loving the rain!

Looks like we got 75.2mm of rain in the 24 hours from 9am yesterday. (BOM) My understanding is that's its the wettest February day we've ever had (since records began) or just shy of the record.

A few other interesting facts to note;

Average rainfall for January is 18.8mm, February is 13.5mm and March is 27.2mm - we've had more rain in one day than the rainfall average over 3 months. The yearly average for Adelaide is 543.9mm.

And another 60mm expected today. Crazy stuff how we can go from having the hottest summer ever, most days over 40c, to torrential record-breaking rain.

Bring it on. The more the merrier. It's so refreshing. :) But I do hope that it settles down a bit to allow the Fringe Parade to go ahead as scheduled later tonight.

Such excite! Much amaze. So wow. Very fun.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:01 am

[Shuz] wrote:Such excite! Much amaze. So wow. Very fun.
raindoge.png
raindoge.png (413.26 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by Vee » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:17 am

Phantom wrote: By the way, is anyone up to go and visit 'The "Garden" of Unearthly Delights"?

Perhaps we should rename this to "The Weather Thrread" or something similar?
The Fringe Parade is still going ahead ATM but organizers are 'monitoring the weather', hoping for the predicted 'rain easing'. Weather map does not look promising.
It's a shame this (much needed) rain didn't come earlier in the week as it has put a real dampener (no pun intended) on the Fringe Parade and the likely opening crowds for not just the GOUD but other Fringe venues eg Gluttony, Croquet Club.

The very colourful (see photo/social media link below by Dave Walsh) Croquet Club in Victoria Square opens tonight. If the weather eases off, the Parade will complement this venue.
It's a new Fringe venue and alternative to the fabulous Garden of Unearthly Delights.
It's the next big test of the new Vic Sq event space following the TDU.

Photo: via @Dave__Walsh
http://twitter.com/Dave__Walsh/status/4 ... 36/photo/1

Some information and photos of the Croquet Club, under construction, in Vic Sq. via Dave Walsh
http://www.weekendnotes.com/royal-croquet-club/

Enough rain (for now!)

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by Phantom » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:34 pm

HAHAHAHA!!!

I just saw the name of the thread! Holy crap, that's absolutely gold!

Imagine this rain during the Tour Down Under? Hahaha.

In all seriousness, hopefully this will be the much needed rain (Many rain. So cloud. Much wet. Such puddle. Wow.), that will surely start to turn the parklands back into their original green colour, instead of that colour of death.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#57 Post by crawf » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Ho Really

#58 Post by Ho Really » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:58 pm

Yes, I've got a complaint too. What a waste to see all that water [eventually] going down our drains and into the sea. We should be harvesting it. Now that would be a sensible issue to work on for the up=and-coming State Election.

Cheers

P.S. I don't like the heat, not so much because it is hot, but because [prolonged] heatwaves do damage to our environment. You got to remember this is not the Sahara or Arabia where there are no trees!
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#59 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:58 pm

Ho Really wrote:Yes, I've got a complaint too. What a waste to see all that water [eventually] going down our drains and into the sea. We should be harvesting it. Now that would be a sensible issue to work on for the up=and-coming State Election.
This was suggested by the Liberals a few years ago, but what they didn't realise is how dirty our storm water is. It washes over our properties, driveways, factory sites and roads before it ends up in the storm water system. People thoughtlessly pour all kinds of contaminants into the drains. Storm water would be poisonous to drink or use in other ways. The EPA tries, but it's a lost battle.

But moving in that direction, a lot of households have a rainwater tank and most councils have a rule that any new buildings need to have on site storage of rain water.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#60 Post by Waewick » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:34 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Ho Really wrote:Yes, I've got a complaint too. What a waste to see all that water [eventually] going down our drains and into the sea. We should be harvesting it. Now that would be a sensible issue to work on for the up=and-coming State Election.
This was suggested by the Liberals a few years ago, but what they didn't realise is how dirty our storm water is. It washes over our properties, driveways, factory sites and roads before it ends up in the storm water system. People thoughtlessly pour all kinds of contaminants into the drains. Storm water would be poisonous to drink or use in other ways. The EPA tries, but it's a lost battle.

But moving in that direction, a lot of households have a rainwater tank and most councils have a rule that any new buildings need to have on site storage of rain water.
given some countries re use black water in going to think that our storm water wouldn't be that bad.