Beggars in Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Beggars in Adelaide

#1 Post by Will » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:39 pm

Having recently had an alfresco dining experience ruined by beggars, I feel we need to discuss this growing problem affecting the attractiveness of our city

From the Advertiser:
Craig Cook: I won’t give money to Adelaide beggars again, and I want you to do the same

Craig Cook •
The Advertiser •
April 07, 2014 9:30PM

HOW do you feel when you see a beggar in Adelaide? Disturbed or disgusted, guilty or guileless, empathetic or that they’re just plain pathetic?

Whatever your emotions, don’t give money to beggars — you will just encourage more of them.

And even worse, you could even be contributing to their premature death.

As someone who has given money to beggars in Adelaide, I’m taking the pledge not to do it again and I’m beseeching you to do the same.

It might just be another unforeseen consequence of “Mad March’’, where the extra hoards swarming around the city becomes an obvious magnet, but I’ve been confronted by the large numbers of beggars in Adelaide of late. Walking down Rundle St during Festival time, it was hard not to trip over one of them strewed across the pavement.

Perhaps more beggars are a sign of deterioration in our society, and if it is, how could I be so heartless to those who seemingly have so little, and are probably homeless and destitute?

Well, recent research from Europe suggests most beggars in first-world welfare-friendly nations are neither homeless nor without resources.

But they probably do have a serious drug or alcohol addiction — which might explain why most of the beggars in Adelaide can be found hanging around the hotels and nightclubs.

During a crackdown on begging in Birmingham in September last year police found all of the 40 people it detained failed a drugs test, with over 80 per cent testing positive to Class A substances. Fewer than 40 per cent of those caught begging said they were homeless.

On the back of the figures, some welfare organisations are actively encouraging people not to give money to beggars, as it simply supports the numerous issues of their clients.

Giving to people who beg is not a benign act without consequences. If you ever wanted to witness an extreme example of the consequences of giving money to beggars, take a trip to India.

It’s an obvious first reaction to give your conscience a serious workout when a five-year-old wheels himself towards you on a trolley with his one good limb and an imploring look on his face.

India has close to one million child beggars and the brutal reality is that many of them are deliberately maimed by members of organised gangs that operate “begging teams’’. Arms and legs are forcibly amputated, while others are blinded and/or scarred by acid because those with the worst injuries make the most money from begging.

Most of the money is given over to the gang leader, but beggars can still make five times more than the average wage and would prefer to beg than work legitimately.

Begging is a “profession’’ across Europe as well and could become one here if the average person continues to hand over dough. There is no good reason anyone would need to beg in Australia.

Even if you have no fixed address you can claim benefits, and there are many centres where homeless people receive food, clothing and support on a daily basis.

I’m not suggesting there are not people in real need who beg, but giving them a few bucks to assuage your conscience is a mere panacea for their problems that require professional intervention.

It is illegal to beg in South Australia, as it is in every state and territory except NSW, WA and the ACT, and carries a penalty of up to 12 months imprisonment. Not that I agree with arresting those who solicit illicitly.

If you really care about someone’s plight, engage with them and see if there is something more you can do or suggest where they can go for real help.

And if you really want to make a useful contribution, donate to one of the many wonderful organisations committed to finding long-lasting solutions to homelessness and drug and alcohol addiction.

And as we are all good global citizens, consider donating to those organisations that support the 870 million people on the planet, almost exclusively in developing countries, who are officially ‘‘starving to death’’. For most of those, their begging bowl remains perennially empty.

Mants
Legendary Member!

Re: Beggars in Adelaide

#2 Post by Mants » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:22 am

Will wrote:Having recently had an alfresco dining experience ruined by beggars, I feel we need to discuss this growing problem affecting the attractiveness of our city
Will, I am interested to know where you experienced this? The main culprits seem to be Rundle Street and Gouger Street I find. As somebody who visits these precincts frequently, I have to agree, this is becoming a real problem and seems to be getting worse.

I was recently dining outside of a Gouger Street restaurant when a clearly intoxicated indigenous woman approached myself and a friend, asking for money. After telling her to leave us alone as we were in the middle of our meal, the woman began to insult me and my friend. A waitress who happened to be nearby overheard this and asked the woman to move on. The woman then proceeded to shout racial slurs at the waitress and told her to "go back to where she came from" (the waitress happened to be Asian). I was pretty appalled by this completely antisocial behaviour and the waitress was visibly upset by the confrontation.

And to that, I have lost count of the amount of times I have been approached for money by beggars along Rundle Street. One beggar who I have seen around frequently recently approached me, shouted "hello" in my face and attempted to shake my hand while I was clearly eating and holding a knife and fork. It is also very common whilst sitting outside the Austral or Exeter for somebody to whisper, "hide your smokes and wallet" amongst the table, as a beggar winds their way between chairs asking patrons for money or trying to scab cigarettes.

I remember years ago, The Parade used to be really bad for beggars, but it seems to have improved since then. I would be interested to know why and how this occurred. O'Connell Street, on the other hand, seems to have gotten worse, even in the last 12 months.

Despite all this, I do not necessarily feel as if the presence of beggars is affecting the attractiveness of Adelaide as a city. This is probably a problem which most cities around the world have to deal with, and we are nowhere near as bad as cities I've been to in Asia and South America.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Phantom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:20 am

I reckon you're right, Mants. It seems to be a problem you'll find everywhere, not just Adelaide.

In saying that, I can tell you my story of a specific beggar. Gather round, children! This might take a while!

Okay, so. I initially lived in Semaphore when I was in Year 12 and I would often catch two busses to get to school. One into Port Adelaide and the other to my school. There would be this one guy with a sorta olive complexion who would catch the bus from what I believe is some form of halfway house for people with mild disabilities (be it physical or intellectual or whatnot). Anyway, this man I wouldn't be surprised if you have seen him around from time to time. I believe he goes by the name of Bruno, and if not, for the sakes of this story, we shall call him that. Bruno is a rather large man and is very loud and noticable. He gets usually would catch this bus once a week and sure enough, he catches it one day in late 2008, when I'm just weeks from completing High School. While on the bus, he starts singing at the top of his voice the songs "Afternoon Delight" and "Manic Monday", both complete with missing and incorrect lyrics...

So, I finish Year 12 and end out working as a checkout chick at a certain supermarket at the Port. Naturally even being in that area alone allows you to see some of the stranger sorts of characters from the surrounding suburbs and also Lefevre Peninsula... Not only that, but also being a food store, everyone comes through there, as obviously everyone needs food. Sure enough one day, our friend Bruno comes in and pays for a packet of chips with a handful of change and goes outside the store. After I serve him, one of the supervisors from the nightfill area tells me that I should immediately call my frontend (checkout) supervisor, should he create any issues, as he is a known panhandler by our store and will often turn verbally abusive to those who ask him to move. Not only that, but apparently the store has some sort of order against him being within a certain distance of the vicinity. I tell him that I'm finishing in 10 mins and that I can go outside and see if he is still around the store. After I finish and clock off, I go outside and he is sitting on the ground, talking to someone, just out of sight of the front doors, but only about 5 metres from the entrance. I went in and notified the nightfill supervisor and then left and went home.

I asked a few co-workers about this guy and found out that they'd nicknamed him "Buddha" due to his size, complexion and the way he'd sit cross legged on the ground. I can recall management having a few issues with him in the year and a quarter when I worked there. After I quit, I recall seeing him another dozen times at least at West Lakes Shopping Centre. Then I moved from Semaphore and I started seeing him a lot across the road from Adelaide Railway Station, right out the front of the convenience store on North Tce. I swear, it's like he's somehow stalking me! Hahaha.

But yeah, if anyone knows of this guy and has stories, let me know! :P
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:55 am

I think I know the one you're talking about Phantom? He tends to hang around the bus stops, that incidentally go ouy Port Adelaide way. The 251 / 252 / 253 / 254 / 157 / 158 etc.

He sports a bit of a funny hairdo and has a tendency to say hello / good morning / good afternoon to every single person that walks by. Can't say I'm surprised about the choice of nickname given to him and have oft wondered what his 'plight' is. I've always doubted if he is even a genuine beggar and never given the guy a cent. I just steadfastly ignore them and keep on walking by.

There's also that older lady with the cart / pram who does the rounds at the Exeter amd Austral asking for cigarettes. It takes a fair bit of ignoring as well to get her to stop hassling you and move on.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Phantom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:33 am

[Shuz] wrote:I think I know the one you're talking about Phantom? He tends to hang around the bus stops, that incidentally go ouy Port Adelaide way. The 251 / 252 / 253 / 254 / 157 / 158 etc.

He sports a bit of a funny hairdo and has a tendency to say hello / good morning / good afternoon to every single person that walks by. Can't say I'm surprised about the choice of nickname given to him and have oft wondered what his 'plight' is. I've always doubted if he is even a genuine beggar and never given the guy a cent. I just steadfastly ignore them and keep on walking by.

There's also that older lady with the cart / pram who does the rounds at the Exeter amd Austral asking for cigarettes. It takes a fair bit of ignoring as well to get her to stop hassling you and move on.
Got it in one! Though, I'm not 100% about the hairdo. I can only recall him with short hair, almost bald.

Now just imagine him singing "... Just another Manic Monday! My I don't have to run day!..."
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Nathan

#6 Post by Nathan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:45 am

Mants wrote:And to that, I have lost count of the amount of times I have been approached for money by beggars along Rundle Street. One beggar who I have seen around frequently recently approached me, shouted "hello" in my face and attempted to shake my hand while I was clearly eating and holding a knife and fork.
I know the guy you're talking about. I believe it's an act, as I've also seen him around dressed better and behaving completely normal.

I avoid giving as I've had two past instances where it's been a ruse to try a snatch-and-grab when I get my wallet out of my pocket. (Also, in Melbourne though, I copped a foot to my face once because I refused to prove that I didn't have 50c "for a phone call" on me by showing the guy my empty wallet. At a busy tram stop in the city just after peak at that.). I'm sorry to those who are genuine, but I'm just not going to risk it.

These days I seem to be constantly running into the guy with a beard, blue check shirt, pushing his bike. He's always around the east end, and I reckon he tries to stop me 3-4 times a week on average.

Waewick

#7 Post by Waewick » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:32 pm

I don't carry cash, but even if I did it isn't spare so I won't be giving it to anyone.

as a rule I give to the same few charities and do give to anyone/thing else.

I pay a fortune in tax,and levies and all the other things we pay to help social services, so I've done my part.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by mshagg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:54 pm

Always seemed to be an unwritten rule where people left you alone when you were dining alfresco. Clearly that's not the case any more, have been accosted on a number of occasions recently.

I think you'll find that begging is already an offence in South Australia (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/c ... 9/s12.html) so i dont think there's a legislative response required. Perhaps a question of enforcement, although i like to think this kind of thing comes down to 'community' policing, where offenders and police agree on appropriate behaviour protocols.

For now, I guess we rely on our conflict management/de-escalation skills.

In the big scheme, I think i prefer having a handful of 'well known characters' walking around rather than somewhere like Sydney where desolate people adorn the sidewalks of the CBD with placards/signs explaining why they're seeking money.

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#9 Post by SuperEgz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:58 pm

I once made the mistake of answering when a begger in Rundle Mall said to me "Hello, what's your name?" Now everytime he sees me (Im in the mall all the time) he targets me and calls me by my name. It is annoying.

[Shuz]

#10 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:07 pm

Nathan wrote:
I avoid giving as I've had two past instances where it's been a ruse to try a snatch-and-grab when I get my wallet out of my pocket. (Also, in Melbourne though, I copped a foot to my face once because I refused to prove that I didn't have 50c "for a phone call" on me by showing the guy my empty wallet. At a busy tram stop in the city just after peak at that.). I'm sorry to those who are genuine, but I'm just not going to risk it.
I don't think there's so much a problem with the daytime beggars, as they mostly stay out of harm's way and tend to let you carry on with your way, even if you are blatantly ignoring them. I do have concern for the night-time beggars, who take advantage of people's not-so-sober state of minds, and other factors, such as poor lighting in the streets, to get away with more aggressive and abusive sorts of behaviour when demanding money, cigarettes, even drugs, from people.

A couple of years ago, I copped a punch to the face because I didn't give a 'beggar' a cigarette. I had observed this person, who appeared to be homeless - judging by his clothing (or lack thereof) and personal hygiene - asking a few people on the way (none of whom were smoking) and I knew I was in the firing line, as I was smoking. I did have cigarettes on me, but I'm not one to give out what I rightly paid for myself to anyone that asks for one. My past few experiences in Melbourne really have shed some light on the dangers of the streets; as it is really is becoming quite an alarmingly scary and dangerous place to be by yourself at night time. This was an incident which occurred when I was waiting outside a very well patronised McDonald's at 2:00am in the morning in Brunswick area, and my friend had gone to the bathroom for just a couple of moments. You really do have to be in the company of friends or others to offer some sort of 'protection' - or take comfort in safety by numbers - I should have gone with my friend, even if just to mull around and keep to myself - no funny business. I'm lucky I didn't come off with anything more than a bit of a pain to the jaw, but it was still a sad reflection on society that not one of the nearby patrons bothered to check up on me afterwards to ask if I was okay or anything like that. Just a couple of heads turned, some gasps, and then people carried on with their lives as if nothing happened.

Fortunately, I find Adelaide quite safe still at night and don't believe that this kind of incident would occur to me again, well not least in Rundle Street & environs anyway. I don't know about Hindley Street & environs, as I very rarely go down there these days; but it's reputation doesn't exactly inspire me with the confidence or comfort of feeling safe.

Food for thought; do you consider the Big Issue vendors to be 'beggars'?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

#11 Post by Waewick » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:27 pm

I don't have a problem with the Big Issue, except I don't read magazines.....which makes it awfully awkward when they are flapping them in your face when you are stuck at an intersection.

What I don't like is how limited they are as big issue sellers, I mean why not arrange with another vendor to sell their wares?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by monotonehell » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:33 pm

The guy who says "hello" and attempts to shake your hand has been at that for over a decade now. Never shake his hand, he is filthy. Just politely decline. He is mentally challenged and as far as I know has a place to stay. There's also a grey haired lady who has been begging for over a decade. She seems to have somewhere to go at night. But I have seen here more recently with an abusive younger man.

There's other homeless people around town who are legitimately on the streets. Most of us residents of Rundle street know them (some by name) we talk with them, occasionally hand them a meal (we try to give food more than money). Some have managed to pull themselves off the street.

Try not to be assholes about this. It's a miserable life, especially in the freeze of winter.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nort

#13 Post by Nort » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Will wrote:Having recently had an alfresco dining experience ruined by beggars, I feel we need to discuss this growing problem affecting the attractiveness of our city

From the Advertiser:
Craig Cook: I won’t give money to Adelaide beggars again, and I want you to do the same

Craig Cook •
The Advertiser •
April 07, 2014 9:30PM

HOW do you feel when you see a beggar in Adelaide? Disturbed or disgusted, guilty or guileless, empathetic or that they’re just plain pathetic?

Whatever your emotions, don’t give money to beggars — you will just encourage more of them.

And even worse, you could even be contributing to their premature death.

As someone who has given money to beggars in Adelaide, I’m taking the pledge not to do it again and I’m beseeching you to do the same.

It might just be another unforeseen consequence of “Mad March’’, where the extra hoards swarming around the city becomes an obvious magnet, but I’ve been confronted by the large numbers of beggars in Adelaide of late. Walking down Rundle St during Festival time, it was hard not to trip over one of them strewed across the pavement.

Perhaps more beggars are a sign of deterioration in our society, and if it is, how could I be so heartless to those who seemingly have so little, and are probably homeless and destitute?

Well, recent research from Europe suggests most beggars in first-world welfare-friendly nations are neither homeless nor without resources.

But they probably do have a serious drug or alcohol addiction — which might explain why most of the beggars in Adelaide can be found hanging around the hotels and nightclubs.

During a crackdown on begging in Birmingham in September last year police found all of the 40 people it detained failed a drugs test, with over 80 per cent testing positive to Class A substances. Fewer than 40 per cent of those caught begging said they were homeless.

On the back of the figures, some welfare organisations are actively encouraging people not to give money to beggars, as it simply supports the numerous issues of their clients.

Giving to people who beg is not a benign act without consequences. If you ever wanted to witness an extreme example of the consequences of giving money to beggars, take a trip to India.

It’s an obvious first reaction to give your conscience a serious workout when a five-year-old wheels himself towards you on a trolley with his one good limb and an imploring look on his face.

India has close to one million child beggars and the brutal reality is that many of them are deliberately maimed by members of organised gangs that operate “begging teams’’. Arms and legs are forcibly amputated, while others are blinded and/or scarred by acid because those with the worst injuries make the most money from begging.

Most of the money is given over to the gang leader, but beggars can still make five times more than the average wage and would prefer to beg than work legitimately.

Begging is a “profession’’ across Europe as well and could become one here if the average person continues to hand over dough. There is no good reason anyone would need to beg in Australia.

Even if you have no fixed address you can claim benefits, and there are many centres where homeless people receive food, clothing and support on a daily basis.

I’m not suggesting there are not people in real need who beg, but giving them a few bucks to assuage your conscience is a mere panacea for their problems that require professional intervention.

It is illegal to beg in South Australia, as it is in every state and territory except NSW, WA and the ACT, and carries a penalty of up to 12 months imprisonment. Not that I agree with arresting those who solicit illicitly.

If you really care about someone’s plight, engage with them and see if there is something more you can do or suggest where they can go for real help.

And if you really want to make a useful contribution, donate to one of the many wonderful organisations committed to finding long-lasting solutions to homelessness and drug and alcohol addiction.

And as we are all good global citizens, consider donating to those organisations that support the 870 million people on the planet, almost exclusively in developing countries, who are officially ‘‘starving to death’’. For most of those, their begging bowl remains perennially empty.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by Dog » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:41 pm

Cause and effect : begging is "free enterprise welfare" supported by conservative policies, like cutting program's, welfare, funding, reducing public housing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Hooligan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:51 pm

I have only gave a beggar money once because i was standing at a bus stop on North terrace for about 10 minutes when an old man started going through the bin. He pulled out a can of coke, shook it and then when on to drink what was left of it. I just couldn't help myself to not give him $5.

To be fair he technically wasn't a beggar because he never asked anyone for money, I just offered it and you wouldn't believe how grateful he was. Moral of the story is there are some people out there who are genuinely doing it hard so don't paint them all with the same brush.

In saying all that if someone comes up to me asking for a cigarette or 50 cents to make a 'phone call' i generally tell to F off.

Code: Select all

Signature removed