Rod Hook sacked

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
muzzamo
Legendary Member!

Rod Hook sacked

#1 Post by muzzamo » Fri May 09, 2014 8:13 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6911234525
PREMIER Jay Weatherill has sacked the state’s infrastructure chief Rod Hook.

It is believed Mr Hook was summoned to the Premier’s office late Thursday and told he was no longer required.

Mr Hook has been the chief of the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure since 2002.

He has overseen a raft of major projects in recent years, including the Adelaide Oval, Southern Expressway, Northern Expressway and the electrification of the city’s rail network.

Mr Weatherill is believed to have told Mr Hook he was seeking “renewal” in the infrastructure role and that today would be his final day in the post.

Mr Hook told The Advertiser in March that he had no plans to step down.

“I’m in the middle of a five-year contract. I intend to stay around while health’s good, I’ve got things to do, while the government wants me,” he said.

“If they don’t want me they can pay me out. They would know we’ve got a pretty good reputation as an agency for delivering.”

Mr Hook was scheduled to appear on ABC radio late yesterday afternoon but pulled out of the interview with just 10 minutes notice.

Mr Hook’s son and Sunday Mail columnist Ben Hook last night made a post on Twitter criticising the decision.

“Sometimes I wonder why our state leadership struggles so much. Today I understand more clearly, remember this date,” he wrote.

ABC Radio this morning reported that it was believed Mr Hook’s axing had been a “captain’s call” by the Premier and had not gone to Cabinet.

A spokesman for Mr Weatherill this morning said “we are not confirming anything at this stage” in regards to the sacking.
There is obviously more to this than what has been said so far. The transport department seems to have been run quite competently under his control, however he has made a name for himself while other PS heads have not - in fact he is the only department chief that comes to mind that regularly speaks to the media. Was it appropriate for him to be briefing the media etc when that should have been the ministers job? Did he become too powerful?

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Rod Hook sacked

#2 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri May 09, 2014 8:24 am

My first time using Tapatalk for forums and the topic I see is a big one. I'm really surprised by this and agree with Hook's sentiments about 'delivery'. A very curious matter; I'm sure there is more to come yet.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Waewick

#3 Post by Waewick » Fri May 09, 2014 9:16 am

got to love captains call.

Nathan

#4 Post by Nathan » Fri May 09, 2014 9:28 am

Curiously, just saw this tweet from Tim Horton regarding the news:
@timhorton_: SA steps out of the 60's as key blocker to good design bows out. Door opens to reform @DPTI_SA's 'Madmen' culture
Obviously not a fan.

Nathan

#5 Post by Nathan » Fri May 09, 2014 9:39 am

Also, this little nugget on InDaily's story:
InDaily has confirmed the story is accurate, and that Renewal SA chief Fred Hansen is also likely to be axed
That to me would be a big shame. Hansen has brought valuable outside perspective.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Wayno » Fri May 09, 2014 12:11 pm

Ah, probably Gillman tender related. Cue StumpJumper...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Nathan

#7 Post by Nathan » Fri May 09, 2014 1:13 pm

Resignation letter from Fred Hansen.
“Earlier this year I had a knee operation to address a running injury. And in March I turned 68. These two events allowed me to reflect on my priorities,” he wrote.

“Heather and I have absolutely loved our time in Adelaide and we feel we have accomplished much. But now is the time for us to reconnect with family in the States and make time for long overdue travel plans. We are very much looking forward to the next chapter in our lives.

“I have valued my time here at Renewal SA working with a high performing team who are passionate about making a positive difference to the way South Australians are able to live.

“It has been remarkable working with three Ministers over this period; Patrick Conlon, Tom Koutsantonis and now with John Rau–who have all shared the passion and commitment to making South Australia an even more remarkable place to live and work.

“We have made significant progress, since our establishment in March 2012, in delivering a vision for an inspiring urban future for all South Australians, however I firmly believe the organisation requires additional government support and focus to allow it to achieve its full potential.

“I congratulate you all for the commitment and drive you have shown as we have worked towards our objectives and the visions we share for our wide ranging renewal projects. What I will miss most is the relationships and friendships I have formed and I will take many special memories home with me.

“I wish you all nothing but the best as the organisation evolves and continues its great work on behalf of the South Australian Government.”