Clipsal straight named after Brock

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1 Post by Howie » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:21 pm

Fitting tribute to the king of the mountain.

September 19, 2006 12:33pm
Article from: AAP

Send this article: Print Email

THE main straight of the Clipsal 500 street circuit in Adelaide is to be known as Brock Straight in honour of the motor racing legend.
South Australian Premier Mike Rann said today the change had been agreed in talks between the State Government and the SA Motor Sport Board.

"We all agreed that there could be no more appropriate honour for Peter Brock given his outstanding contribution to the development of motor sport around Australia," Mr Rann said.

Until now the main straight of the inner-city street circuit has been known just as Adelaide Straight.
Mr Rann said he always found Brock to be a gentleman and generous in giving of his time to his fans.

"Like others who achieve pre-eminence in sport, or in other endeavours, he knew that greatness meant never looking down on those who looked up to him," the premier said.

"Motorsport could not have had a better ambassador."

Brock, who will be farewelled at a state funeral in Melbourne today, was killed in a rally accident in Western Australia on September 8.

The next Clipsal 500 V8 race will be held in Adelaide in March next year.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:38 pm

good on ya rann :D

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Will » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:45 pm

This is a fitting tribute to a great sportsman.

The premier should also investigate the possibility of naming one of the numerous unnamed national parks in this state in honour of Steve Irwin. Although he sometimes made us cringe, his contribution to saving and protecting our wildlife deserves such recognition.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:07 pm

Will wrote:The premier should also investigate the possibility of naming one of the numerous unnamed national parks in this state in honour of Steve Irwin. Although he sometimes made us cringe, his contribution to saving and protecting our wildlife deserves such recognition.
theres only 1 unnamed national/ conservation park and thats in the far north west corner of the state. Anyway why name a SA park in honour of Steve Irwin?, yes he did alot for wildlife conservation but hes not from South Australia - hes from Queensland.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Ho Really » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:56 pm

crawf wrote:Anyway why name a SA park in honour of Steve Irwin?, yes he did alot for wildlife conservation but hes not from South Australia - hes from Queensland.
Neither is Peter Brock, but I see your point. Steve Irwin will probably get something named after him in Queensland, if they haven't planned it already. :wink:

Cheers

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Will » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:52 am

crawf wrote:
Will wrote:The premier should also investigate the possibility of naming one of the numerous unnamed national parks in this state in honour of Steve Irwin. Although he sometimes made us cringe, his contribution to saving and protecting our wildlife deserves such recognition.
theres only 1 unnamed national/ conservation park and thats in the far north west corner of the state. Anyway why name a SA park in honour of Steve Irwin?, yes he did alot for wildlife conservation but hes not from South Australia - hes from Queensland.
Just 1? Crawf you better call the RAA because their map is therefore wrong.

And there are a lot of things named after non-South Australians. The man did a lot for Australian wildlife, and since SA is part of Australia naming one national/ conservation park in honour of him would not hurt.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:57 pm

Will wrote:Just 1? Crawf you better call the RAA because their map is therefore wrong.
theres just 1 unnamed national/conservation park.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Will » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:10 am

crawf wrote:
Will wrote:Just 1? Crawf you better call the RAA because their map is therefore wrong.
Don't tell me, tell the RAA. (I didn't make the map I referred to when making my initial comment.)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:00 am

Will wrote:
crawf wrote:
Don't tell me, tell the RAA. (I didn't make the map I referred to when making my initial comment.)
dont be a smartarse

According to the South Australia Department of Environment and Heritage theres just 1 unnamed national/ conservation park, i repeat just 1!

http://www.parks.sa.gov.au/parks/search ... tPhrase=on

I think your getting confused with a Reserve or a Recretion Park, which is competely different to a national/ conservation park.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Will » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:22 pm

crawf wrote:
Will wrote:
crawf wrote: theres just 1 unnamed national/conservation park.
dont be a smartarse

According to the South Australia Department of Environment and Heritage theres just 1 unnamed national/ conservation park, i repeat just 1!

http://www.parks.sa.gov.au/parks/search ... tPhrase=on

I think your getting confused with a Reserve or a Recretion Park, which is competely different to a national/ conservation park.
Crawf, once again I recommend you contact the RAA and tell them about your research because from the South Australian state map which I purchased from the RAA in 2002 it appears as though there is more than 1 national and conservation parks in SA without a name. Unless there has been a recent flurry of naming of national parks, then the map I made my initial comment upon is wrong.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Mants » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:17 am

lol...crawf stop getting all defensive

clearly Will isnt being a smartarse, regardless of whether or not he is correct. he is merely stating fact.

they should rename Thorndon Park to something like, "Steve Irwin Park" and chuck a few crocs in there :wink: