Aaaargh! My favourite shop's gone!

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1 Post by Aidan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:21 pm

When I went to the City today I was dismayed to find Mariana Market has closed down. I'd thought they were going to close their upstairs (as they had been selling off stock) but they'd given no clue the whole shop was shutting down. Alas it appears to be totally empty now (aside from a few empty crates and old signs). No indication of a move either, so it seems it's permanently gone :-(
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

Re: Aaaargh! My favourite shop's gone!

#2 Post by dsriggs » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:24 pm

Probably couldn't handle paying their staff a decent wage

The Scooter Guy

#3 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:11 pm

What was the Mariana Market?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Aidan

#4 Post by Aidan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:15 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:What was the Mariana Market?
After one of the shops on the edge of Central Market had a dispute with Adelaide City Council over what was meant by Asian vegetables they moved across the street to a new, much bigger shop next to the bus station, and named it after where they were from. It had a better selection of fruit and veg than anywhere else in Adelaide (apart from Central Market itself, and I've known it to sell fruit that was unavailable in Central Market). It had longer opening hours than Central Market, and also had a large range of Asian groceries, plus other things including plates and plants. And it had a juice bar.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Mants » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:11 pm

Aidan wrote:
The Scooter Guy wrote:What was the Mariana Market?
After one of the shops on the edge of Central Market had a dispute with Adelaide City Council over what was meant by Asian vegetables they moved across the street to a new, much bigger shop next to the bus station, and named it after where they were from. It had a better selection of fruit and veg than anywhere else in Adelaide (apart from Central Market itself, and I've known it to sell fruit that was unavailable in Central Market). It had longer opening hours than Central Market, and also had a large range of Asian groceries, plus other things including plates and plants. And it had a juice bar.
i am very disappointed to hear this.
such a shame for the traders. lien heng was an absolute gem of a market stall and i was appalled by their ousting from the central markets. have you heard any news as to whether or not they will relocate elsewhere?

Nathan

#6 Post by Nathan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:45 am

It was a good stall, but they were in the wrong by taking up space outside their stall and were too stubborn to compromise.

Aidan

#7 Post by Aidan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:04 pm

Mants wrote: such a shame for the traders. lien heng was an absolute gem of a market stall and i was appalled by their ousting from the central markets. have you heard any news as to whether or not they will relocate elsewhere?
Looks like they won't. Their Facebook page mentions they've got a warehouse in Thebarton, but it's only open by appointment.

In hindsight it's been suggested they would have done better setting up further away from Central Market.