The Krispy Kreme / On The Run thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
serca
High Rise Poster!

Re: The Krispy Kreme / On The Run thread

#196 Post by serca » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:16 pm

Rev, you are most certainly entitled to voice your opinion. I don't think he was threatening you more so warning what has happened? If he is somehow threatening you he is a peanut.

Unfortunately most large companies and corporations who are price rather than brand based have to exploit and abuse unskilled and unqualified people to stay competitive . I'm not saying I agree with it, because I don't, but it's how it is. Large supermarkets suppliers use foreign fruit/veg pickers and packers for example and pay them half the Australian award rate, clothing chains outsource their work to 3rd world countries where production workers are paid terrible money in terrible working conditions, that smart phone you talk on or laptop you use contains a mineral tantalum, no doubt Apple, Intel, Microsoft etc are more than aware they are purchasing this from rebel owned mines in the Congo, talk about workers being abused!! and the list goes on and on and on.

So while it's all good you don't shop at OTR (neither do I) because of their ill treatment on employees, if your going to have such a strong stance you have to maybe have some consistency and not own a phone or computer or shop at most outlets in Australia for that matter.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#197 Post by rev » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:06 pm

I'm assuming it's a veiled threat from them seeing as the guy has 2 posts to his name.

I understand how big business etc work.

I choose to not use OTR not because I want to take a moral stance against the treatment of their employees, not even because of how they operate in relation to putting smaller competitors out of business.

But because they pretend to be a South Australian independent little guy taking on the big bad guys..and there's people who fall for that and support them(whatever that means) because they are a South Australian business..meanwhile there's so many REAL small businesses that have had to close their doors because of OTR/Peregrine.

I use other providers because there is still a little bit of choice in the market. That's what some people don't understand.
Although enough understand it that's why the independent on OG road with a Shell Coles across the road has survived this long. If OTR got the chance they'd have saturated every arterial road within a couple minutes leading to the independent servo with their own by now. Hence why we are saying they are predatory...Because they've done it before.

Not Peregrine, not the guy behind most if not all the Mogas around Adelaide and country towns, none of these guys with multiple stores across SA are small independent businesses.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#198 Post by slenderman » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:33 pm

Can we make a list of independent servos across Adelaide to support? Sadly about five of the seven nearest servos to me are OTR, and they all seem to vary in price. An independent which closed over 10 years ago used to be the closest to me. Never seen some of these, so idk if they still sell petrol. This is what I've got so far after a little bit of research:

Independent Adelaide on Gilbert Street
Ezy Fuel Klemzig on OG Road
Southern Cross Fulham Gardens on Grange Road
Bartlett's Auto Centre Hawthorn on Angas Road
Gino's Auto Repairs Blair Athol on Prospect Road
Motorlab Unley on Duthy Street
Friendly Auto Repair Pennington on Grand Junction Road
Mick Skorpo's Petrol Discount King Park Holme on Marion Road
Q Convenience South Plympton on Cross Road
OG Speed Shop Klemizg on OG Road (Has Liberty signage)

I suspect some Liberty and Mogas oulets are also independents, but I'm not sure which. Tell me if I've missed any and I'll add them.
Last edited by slenderman on Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#199 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:39 am

slenderman wrote:Can we make a list of independent servos across Adelaide to support? Sadly about five of the seven nearest servos to me are OTR, and they all seem to vary in price. An independent which closed over 10 years ago used to be the closest to me. Never seen some of these, so idk if they still sell petrol. This is what I've got so far after a little bit of research:

I suspect some Liberty and Mogas oulets are also independents, but I'm not sure which.
Such a sad state of affairs, considering this list would of been 20 times longer years ago.

...Not that I entirely blame OTR either.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#200 Post by Will » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:02 pm

crawf wrote:
slenderman wrote:Can we make a list of independent servos across Adelaide to support? Sadly about five of the seven nearest servos to me are OTR, and they all seem to vary in price. An independent which closed over 10 years ago used to be the closest to me. Never seen some of these, so idk if they still sell petrol. This is what I've got so far after a little bit of research:

I suspect some Liberty and Mogas oulets are also independents, but I'm not sure which.
Such a sad state of affairs, considering this list would of been 20 times longer years ago.

...Not that I entirely blame OTR either.
The list of corner stores and delis 20 years ago was also longer....

We can't blame OTR entirely for the demise of all these small family shops.

Small business, unless they offer something interesting, exotic or an "experience" cannot compete with the economies of scale of big business. If your business solely exists to sell petrol, most people don't care that you are a small family business. The only thing they care about is that you are selling your petrol 4c higher than the OTR up the road.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#201 Post by Hooligan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:15 pm

Not to mention the supermarkets killed off alot of independent servos with their 4 cent discount vochers that invariably meant people spent more on their grocery shopping.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#202 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:59 pm

Well well.....
Fair Work Ombudsman assessing ‘intelligence’ regarding employment conditions at On The Run
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 7511604475

GIANT South Australian petrol and convenience-store chain On the Run is under the scrutiny of the federal employment watchdog, which is assessing “intelligence” related to employee complaints.

In the wake of underpayment accusations againt the 7-Eleven chain, the Fair Work Ombudsman’s office has confirmed it is monitoring information regarding the Peregrine Corporation’s On the Run stores.

Some employees and former employees of the chain have told The Advertiser they have been paid under $10 an hour.

The company says no adult employees are paid under $10 an hour and that its pay rates are “fair and legal”.

It says that if any problems can be “factually substantiated”, they will be rectified.

Ombudsman director Craig Bildstien said the office is not officially investigating the chain, but is monitoring a Facebook page on which comments from current and former employees have been posted.

He said employees or franchisees with any concerns should contact the ombudsman’s office.

“We have recently received intelligence in relation to On The Run stores, and this is now being assessed,” he said.

“As is the case with the current 7-Eleven inquiry we are conducting, we would like to hear from any On The Run franchisees who have concerns about their ability to meet their obligations as employers under federal workplace laws.”

Former employees have told The Advertiser that they were paid as trainees for months, but a spokesman for Peregrine Corporation said the average length of a traineeship was six-to-nine months and that it was “the best traineeship program in Australia”. No adults were currently paid under $10 an hour, and the contracts were approved by the Government, he said.

“If there are any issues which are factually substantiated, then we will rectify them immediately,” he said.

“Our arrangements are fair and legal and have been comprehensively audited twice by the Fair Work Ombudsman as part of routine audits in our industry.”

The company was proud of its contribution to the state and of its relationship with its employees.

On the Boycott On The Run Facebook page, employees and former employees said they were “used and abused”.

Complaints include mandatory unpaid breaks that were never taken and written warnings for getting sick.

The Peregrine Corporation has become one of the state’s biggest companies after taking over its BP petrol stations.

Anyone with concerns should call Fair Work on 13 13 94 or visit http://www.fairwork.gov.au

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#203 Post by Nathan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:08 pm

I thought the whole never ending traineeship loophole was a fairly open secret?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#204 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:07 pm

Looks like Mobil is completely exiting the SA market - OTR have covered up the small 'Fuels by Mobil' signs on Mobil OTR outlets, and some are now starting to be rebadged as BP's.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#205 Post by Goodsy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:12 pm

the new Krispy Kreme/OTR at Bolivar is going to have Oporto and Wokinabox if anyone was curious

The Scooter Guy

#206 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:02 pm

Brucetiki wrote:Looks like Mobil is completely exiting the SA market - OTR have covered up the small 'Fuels by Mobil' signs on Mobil OTR outlets, and some are now starting to be rebadged as BP's.
The one on Bridge Rd, Para Hills is one example. https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.813 ... 312!8i6656

However, some BPs are also being rebadged as Caltex (e.g. on Goodwood Rd, Westbourne Park and Main North Rd, Hillbank), because more South Australians fuel up at Caltex then at any other petrol station!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

ghs

#207 Post by ghs » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:10 am

Bolivar will be opening on Thursday Dec 10.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#208 Post by Goodsy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:13 am

ghs wrote:Bolivar will be opening on Thursday Dec 10.

that intersection is going to be hell with cars coming out of Bolivar Road and trying to merge across 4 lanes to turn into krispy kreme

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#209 Post by crawf » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:01 am

And another KK in Salisbury CBD opens around the same time.

They are starting to go overboard with the SA market (and WA aswell) . I went past the Croydon store last week and was extremely quiet, so it looks like the hype is dying off.

So far
Croydon
Gouger St
James Place
Westfield Marion
Bolivar
Salisbury CBD

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#210 Post by Wayno » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:50 am

Feeling repulsed by all the calories. Uggghh...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.