Are Billboards A Eyesore?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Do you think Billboards are a eyesore?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 10

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Are Billboards A Eyesore?

#1 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:56 am

Billboards eyesores, says Such

September 22, 2006 12:15am
Article from: The Advertiser

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

BILLBOARDS along the state's rail corridors mock the memory of former premier Don Dunstan who banned the "eyesores", says Independent Bob Such.
In a letter to Transport Minister Pat Conlon, Dr Such said massive billboards were destroying the character of the city and distracting drivers.

"Thanks to Don we don't look like downtown San Diego . . . yet TransAdelaide has massive billboards on its property," he said.

Mr Dunstan banned roadside billboards on public land and imposed restrictions on private displays.

TransAdelaide manager Bill Watson said rail corridor billboards were subject

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:01 am

I dont think billboards are a eyesore, i reacon there should be more put up around Adelaide. because it gives Adelaide a big city feel and it gives you something to look at.
BILLBOARDS along the state's rail corridors
Adelaide has fuck all billboards along rail corridors, compard to Melbourne
massive billboards were destroying the character of the city and distracting drivers.
what aload of bullshit

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by Edgar » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:24 am

which city in the world does not have billboards?

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Al » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:32 am

What absolute rubbish. Instead of complaining about graffitti, he complains about billboards which actually generate income. :roll:

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Ho Really » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:11 pm

I think billboards in the right places are fine. Those along rail corridors actually can block out unsightly views (backyards etc.). Placing provocative advetisements on the billboards would be more of an issue.

Cheers

rhino

#6 Post by rhino » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:30 pm

Sometimes when I read comments on this forum I get the feeling there's a "development at any cost" attitude. Personally, I think billboards are unsightly and would much rather look at the countryside than a billboard from a highway or from a train.

Granted, they generate income - they're still an eyesore. And one I particularly hate is the IKEA sign on Donald Bradman Drive. Coming from West Beach, it looks like it is in big letters on the hillside like the HOLLYWOOD sign. Very clever placement, but I'd rather see the hillside.
cheers,
Rhino

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Will » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:36 pm

I have never thought of billboards in Adelaide as eyesores. The current billboards in Adelaide I believe are fine.

I have seen photos from overseas countries were they have billboards that actually span across the roads like pedstrian overpasses. These I think are an eye-sore.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by Mants » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:19 am

people say that the one on top of the Brittania Hotel is a traffic-hazard for the roundabout

Ho Really

#9 Post by Ho Really » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:30 pm

Mants wrote:people say that the one on top of the Brittania Hotel is a traffic-hazard for the roundabout
This is one billboard that should be owned by the State Government (Transport SA). It should remind people to "give way to their right". :lol:

Actually those coming from the north on Fullarton Road don't get to see it and those from Kensington Road see the rear-end. :wink:

Cheers

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Edgar » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:26 am

and I love to see how creative they can be when putting up ads on the billboard :) they are always interesting.