Where is Burger King?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Goodsy
Legendary Member!

Where is Burger King?

#1 Post by Goodsy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:21 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_Jack's

The Burger King name was already trademarked and operating in Adelaide when they tried to move into Australia.

Does anyone know where this Burger King is?

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

Re: Where is Burger King?

#2 Post by Alyx » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:07 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_Jack's

The Burger King name was already trademarked and operating in Adelaide when they tried to move into Australia.

Long gone, by the sound of it:
In 1996, shortly after the Australian trademark on the Burger King name lapsed, Burger King Corporation made a claim that Hungry Jack's had violated the conditions of the renewed franchise agreement by failing to expand the chain at the rate defined in the contract and sought to terminate the agreement.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by Eurostar » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:04 pm

Hungry Jacks Still buys stuff from Burger King , I know cos when I worked at one in '05 boxes of frozen foods had Burger King logos on it

realstretts
Gold-Member ;)

#4 Post by realstretts » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:30 am

I believe there was a burger king on Hindley st, it is now a sheesha bar I think

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by monotonehell » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:20 am

Eurostar wrote:Hungry Jacks Still buys stuff from Burger King , I know cos when I worked at one in '05 boxes of frozen foods had Burger King logos on it
HJ's are and always have been a BK franchise.

The only reason for the name difference is (as mentioned above) at the time that the Australian franchisee tried to register the name there was a burger bar in Perth who were using the name. The Perth burger bar has long since ceased trading.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by duke » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:00 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Eurostar wrote:Hungry Jacks Still buys stuff from Burger King , I know cos when I worked at one in '05 boxes of frozen foods had Burger King logos on it

The only reason for the name difference is (as mentioned above) at the time that the Australian franchisee tried to register the name there was a burger bar in Perth who were using the name. The Perth burger bar has long since ceased trading.
Yep. There is a long history but basically HJ is BK.
Check the wikipedia page, there are lots of details https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_Jack%27s

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by monotonehell » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:24 pm

duke wrote:
monotonehell wrote:

Yep. There is a long history but basically HJ is BK.
Check the wikipedia page, there are lots of details https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_Jack%27s
I got it slightly wrong. It should have read...
The only reason for the name difference is (as mentioned above) at the time that the Australian franchise tried to register the name to open a branch in Perth, there was a burger bar in Adelaide who were using the name. The Adelaide burger bar has long since ceased trading.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:22 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_Jack's

I can recall going to Burger King on Anzac Highway in the 1960s - but it's a just a hazy memory of it being in a converted service station similar to current Barnacle Bills, with girls (and boys?) on roller skates bringing food to the cars. May have been where the current HJs is at Leader Street. Their slogan was 'food and service fit for a king'.