Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Do you support de - regulation of shop trading hours ?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 47

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#31 Post by Nathan » Wed May 31, 2017 7:50 pm

I've noticed lately that more and more stores in Rundle Mall have been trading until 7pm, no longer just the supermarkets and large department stores.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#32 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:19 am

Nathan wrote:I've noticed lately that more and more stores in Rundle Mall have been trading until 7pm, no longer just the supermarkets and large department stores.
They have been doing this, on and off, for the past few years. Although I have noticed that during winter months they don't go as late.

While I'm not against deregulated hours on principle, the reality is the only traders calling for it are the big companies intending to use it to drive the smaller traders out of business. Once they kill the opposition, watch them shrink the trading hours again (example case study: US 'Home Depo'). Most small shops when given the opportunity won't go much past 6pm as the extra trade nowhere near covers the costs of staying open.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#33 Post by Waewick » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:44 pm

Would be great to see shops open 1030 or 11.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:31 pm

I just want a 24 hour Kmart, so I can make random trips there at 11:00pm on Saturday nights :lol:

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by mshagg » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:11 pm

monotonehell wrote: While I'm not against deregulated hours on principle, the reality is the only traders calling for it are the big companies intending to use it to drive the smaller traders out of business. Once they kill the opposition, watch them shrink the trading hours again (example case study: US 'Home Depo'). Most small shops when given the opportunity won't go much past 6pm as the extra trade nowhere near covers the costs of staying open.
I think that's perhaps a tad cynical and also belies the reality of a small business where the owner operator or franchisee often picks up a decent chunk of any extended trading hours. That in itself has some issues associated with it, but hey, if you want to get rich that doesn't happen working for someone else. Pressure for volume would be greater on larger retailers given the astronomical scaling of variable costs once you enter the penalty rate zone.

I'd probably be more concerned with various malls, plazas, arcades etc imposing a requirement to stay open upon tenants - deregulation shouldn't impose an obligation to trade.

At any rate, I understand the preference for deregulated trading hours is a universal one from the business community, large and small. The notion that trading hours are best decided by a handful of powerful social conservatives on a one size fits all basis is bizarre and, in this day and age, almost a uniquely South Australian one. My experiences living in the eastern states for the odd stint over the years didn't leave me with the impression that they'd been 'wallmarted'. I think the risk of that happening is more prevalent in a suburban context rather than diverse central business districts, but that's where these policies tend to be more relaxed. We're trying to double the population in the CBD but the population of Mount Barker is better served by retail outlets?

Some progression on the issue, even it's not "balls and all" would serve the ALP well in its election platform imo. Let's face it, it's the only half decent idea the libs have floated.

claybro

#36 Post by claybro » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:37 am

mshagg wrote:Some progression on the issue, even it's not "balls and all" would serve the ALP well in its election platform imo. Let's face it, it's the only half decent idea the libs have floated.
It's a wedge by the libs. Labour are beholden to the Shop Union which has a huge sway in politics on the state level.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by Goodsy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:11 pm

Brucetiki wrote:I just want a 24 hour Kmart, so I can make random trips there at 11:00pm on Saturday nights :lol:

I wouldn't mind something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy_EdzlshVA

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#38 Post by mshagg » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:52 pm

claybro wrote:
mshagg wrote:Some progression on the issue, even it's not "balls and all" would serve the ALP well in its election platform imo. Let's face it, it's the only half decent idea the libs have floated.
It's a wedge by the libs. Labour are beholden to the Shop Union which has a huge sway in politics on the state level.
No doubt an element of making things awkward for Peter M. and his merry men... but you'd like to think the party that values classic liberalism also truly believes in the idea lol.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#39 Post by rev » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:21 pm

I don't see what's so difficult..besides this being South Australia, hence everything has to be a pitched battle.

Deregulate shopping hours.
Allow all shops be they in a suburban shopping centre or in a shopping strip in the city or a small group of shops in whoop whoop, to stay open as long a they like.

Those that can turn a profit by staying open later, or staying open most of the night, will do so.
Those who can't will not.

That doesn't mean those who can't will be put out of business.

If I own a shop I should be able to have it operating at any hours I chose. As a business owner I will have to determine whether it will be profitable for me to stay open beyond the traditional hours and make a decision. Will I be able to find staff willing to work? Will I have customers at those extra hours? etc etc.

If people think shops and retailers wont be able to find staff to work during extended shopping hours, they are living in lala land and have no idea of just how bad the job market is and how high unemployment or under employment really is in this state. This an opportunity to create extra jobs, and economic activity.

But we are bitching about the small shop that probably wont stay open anyway?

South Australia, sweating the small insignificant stuff...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#40 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:42 pm

I tend to agree with Rev's idea. Remove all the crazy, complex legislation we have on the books and just let traders open when they decide it's right for them.

However do note that free to trade all hours doesn't create a 24/7 shopper's nirvana. Unless you're in a mega city like Tokyo, most shops seem to settle on 10am to 6pm, 7 days a week. And as I said above, big players tend to loss lead on 24 hour trading until the local guy goes out of business. There's no magic extra spare cash in the economy when the shops are open longer. People just go when it's convenient for them. Same revenue + more overheads = prices will go up.

But maybe it'll give OTR a run for their money.

potsandpans
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#41 Post by potsandpans » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:21 pm

rev wrote:Deregulate shopping hours. Allow all shops be they in a suburban shopping centre or in a shopping strip in the city or a small group of shops in whoop whoop, to stay open as long a they like.

Those that can turn a profit by staying open later, or staying open most of the night, will do so.
Those who can't will not.

That doesn't mean those who can't will be put out of business.
I agree with this 100%. I read an article that showed how the deregulation of trading hours would increase jobs AND economic activity. But this was years ago, and I can't seem to find that article

claybro

#42 Post by claybro » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:11 pm

monotonehell wrote:There's no magic extra spare cash in the economy when the shops are open longer. People just go when it's convenient for them. Same revenue + more overheads = prices will go up.
There may be no extra cash in the economy, however if many more shops were to open say 10am til 10pm, more people may be inclined to go browsing in the shops when bored rather than just down to the pokies. They may be then inclined for an impulse purchase. There is a book store at then end of my road, open til 10pm week nights. It is always full of people just browsing (and buying) various books and small gifts available. Don't know if there are any studies into this, just that it seems many of the people at the pokies are there out of boredom and lack of social interaction.-I have been guilty of this when travelling for work.

bits
Legendary Member!

#43 Post by bits » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:36 pm

claybro wrote: There is a book store at then end of my road, open til 10pm week nights. It is always full of people just browsing (and buying) various books and small gifts available.
So what is the regulation that needs fixing if stores can already do exactly what you want them to do?

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by mshagg » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:53 pm

bits wrote:
claybro wrote: There is a book store at then end of my road, open til 10pm week nights. It is always full of people just browsing (and buying) various books and small gifts available.
So what is the regulation that needs fixing if stores can already do exactly what you want them to do?
Presumably this book store does not operate in the CBD, which is where the most egregious of the trading restrictions exist.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:13 am

mshagg wrote:
bits wrote:
Presumably this book store does not operate in the CBD, which is where the most egregious of the trading restrictions exist.
The CBD where the shops can open until 9pm weeknights and most shut up before 6pm? Saturdays and Sundays are more restricted (9-5 ,11-5).

The complexity in the regulation is more around the kinds of businesses that can and can't open when, more than the hours themselves these days. There's a lot of protectionist crap left over from the 1970s (?) that can been blown away. I agree that the hours can just be open slather too, but many people seem to be attributing blame where it doesn't exist.