Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Do you support de - regulation of shop trading hours ?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 47

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#46 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:47 pm

All I would like to see changed really is the removal of the 5pm shut time on Saturdays and Sundays. There are still so many people in the city at that time, especially in summer, and the shops should be allowed to open.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#47 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:44 pm

Norman wrote:All I would like to see changed really is the removal of the 5pm shut time on Saturdays and Sundays. There are still so many people in the city at that time, especially in summer, and the shops should be allowed to open.
That would be very helpful. There's nothing like having something on on the weekend, and having to leave before 4 because you need to make it to the supermarket before it closes.

claybro

#48 Post by claybro » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:10 pm

mshagg wrote:
bits wrote:
claybro wrote: There is a book store at then end of my road, open til 10pm week nights. It is always full of people just browsing (and buying) various books and small gifts available.
So what is the regulation that needs fixing if stores can already do exactly what you want them to do?
Presumably this book store does not operate in the CBD, which is where the most egregious of the trading restrictions exist.
This book store is inner suburban Perth.-It was just an observation that where shops are open, people will browse and shop pretty much out of boredom. I don't imagine that people are too much different here than Adelaide (except there are no pokies over here) and FYI, although the shopping hours are a little more relaxed here, they are still complaining that Perth has "the worst trading hours in the world"...now where have I heard that before?!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ghs

#50 Post by ghs » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:41 pm

Nathan wrote:
Norman wrote:All I would like to see changed really is the removal of the 5pm shut time on Saturdays and Sundays. There are still so many people in the city at that time, especially in summer, and the shops should be allowed to open.
That would be very helpful. There's nothing like having something on on the weekend, and having to leave before 4 because you need to make it to the supermarket before it closes.
I couldn't agree more.

Too bad if you work all day Saturday or sunday and want to go to a supermarket.

Supermarkets should be allowed to open earlier on Sunday morning as well. The Coles on grote street normally
has a line up of about 50 people on Sunday morning when it finally opens at 11am.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by mshagg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:30 am

ghs wrote:
Nathan wrote:
I couldn't agree more.

Too bad if you work all day Saturday or sunday and want to go to a supermarket.

Supermarkets should be allowed to open earlier on Sunday morning as well. The Coles on grote street normally
has a line up of about 50 people on Sunday morning when it finally opens at 11am.
A good example of the peculiarities which could easily be addressed without going complete laissez faire.

It's currently just after midnight, tuesday AM and I can walk over to coles to grab a few things. But at 9am on a sunday? Guess I should be attending mass...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#52 Post by monotonehell » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:30 am

mshagg wrote:...It's currently just after midnight, tuesday AM and I can walk over to coles to grab a few things. But at 9am on a sunday? Guess I should be attending mass...
Yeah we claim it's about church, but late start Sunday is so all the retail workers can go out Saturday night. ;)

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by Hooligan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:56 am

Although I believe convenience + higher prices for goods = longer shopping hours It would be nice to see the rules clarified. Like, why are supermarkets (you know, those places you buy life sustaining things such as food) closed on public holidays but Bunnings can sell you hardware at almost anytime it damn well pleases?

Don't get me wrong though, the obvious answer to this problem is if you run out of food on a public holiday you can always live off Bunnings sausage sizzles.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

bits
Legendary Member!

#54 Post by bits » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:44 pm

Hooligan wrote:Like, why are supermarkets (you know, those places you buy life sustaining things such as food) closed on public holidays but Bunnings can sell you hardware at almost anytime it damn well pleases?
Surely the obvious answer is that it is typical and plannable to stock up a few days of food in the pantry and fridge but not typical to stock up on random building materials to keep your house liveable.
Eg taps, shower heads, toilets, timber, pipes etc.

Hardware stores including Bunnings are open extended hours to support people and trades for urgent repairs for homes. Those repairs might be required on public holidays.

Bunnings Parafield has even extended extended hours due to the federal land it sits on excluding it from SA trade laws.

ghs

#55 Post by ghs » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:24 pm

Alexa1994 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:00 pm
Splashmo wrote:Can someone please explain to me why some supermarkets close at 9pm and open at midnight?
Wouldn't it make more sense to trade until midnight and reopen at 6am?
Why did they do that? :?:
They do this because due to the current regulations they're not able to open between 9pm and midnight.

This is why the government regulations need to be changed.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by monotonehell » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:30 pm

Nick Xenophon's SA Best party to oppose deregulated shopping hours
The SA Best party led by former senator Nick Xenophon will block any move to deregulate shop trading hours in South Australia.

In a significant blow to the state Opposition's hopes to deregulate hours if it wins the March election, the potential kingmaker — who has fielded up to six Lower House candidates — said he did not "get" why the Liberals would support shops opening for longer. Mr Xenophon said it would devastate small and medium-sized businesses, including independent stores like IGA, that take advantage of big supermarkets having to close early on weekends and open late on Sunday.

"I'll be committing to SA Best ensuring that we will block any move by the Liberals to have deregulated shop trading hours," he said. Deregulate shop trading hours and you'll actually end up destroying hundreds if not thousands of jobs around the state."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-04/n ... rs/9224404

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#57 Post by SRW » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Look, I’ve always supported Xenophon’s place in the political landscape because he’s had utility as a thorn in the side of the major players and as an advocate. But now that his return to state politics sees him becoming a major player, it’s concerning that most of what we know about him is what he’s opposed to rather than what he stands for. I’m hoping for a less reactionary campaign.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#58 Post by Goodsy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:29 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:04 pm
Look, I’ve always supported Xenophon’s place in the political landscape because he’s had utility as a thorn in the side of the major players and as an advocate. But now that his return to state politics sees him becoming a major player, it’s concerning that most of what we know about him is what he’s opposed to rather than what he stands for. I’m hoping for a less reactionary campaign.
it's all here

https://sabest.org.au/policy-principles/

Llessur2002

#59 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:05 pm

Goodsy wrote:
SRW wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:04 pm
it's all here

https://sabest.org.au/policy-principles/
Sort of - this is just a copy and paste of NXT's policy overview and much of it relates to federal politics rather than state. I'm interested to see whether they'll release a similar policy summary for state-level issues.

[Shuz]

#60 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:42 am

Interesting - 100% poll response in favour of deregulation of shop trading hours.

Liberals support deregulation.

Labor / NXT are against deregulation.

So are we all Liberals now? :hilarious:
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.