Tram and South Rd closed - for a worrying reason

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Tram and South Rd closed - for a worrying reason

#1 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:14 am

Adelaide's South Road closed, tram delays after damage to overpass spotted
A major arterial road through Adelaide has been closed in both directions and tram services have been stopped due to damage on the South Road overpass.

A Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure spokesman said a structural engineer had been called to inspect the site after receiving reports of debris falling onto the road. Adelaide cyclist Lew Toop said it looked like part of the South Road tram overpass could collapse onto the road. He was stopped by other cyclists who spotted the damage.

"It was pretty obvious a main section of the walkway had tilted badly away from the tram platform," Mr Toop said. "It was very visible and it looked like if it did collapse it would fall onto South Road and basically block the whole of the road." He said the underneath looked like a concrete support frame had "cracks going up".

A department spokesman said the traffic management centre received reports of debris falling from the South Road tram overpass about 7:00am. He said an independent bridge expert would be consulted. "In the interests of public safety, tram services were stopped in the area. Until DPTI are satisfied that passengers, cyclists and motorists are safe, South Road has been closed between Cross Road and Anzac Highway and police are on site," he said.

Trams are running from Glenelg to stop 8 at Beckman Street, and from the Entertainment Centre to South Terrace. Replacement buses are being organised. SA Police have asked motorists to avoid the area.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-18/s ... ed/8190314
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Tram and South Rd closed - for a worrying reason

#2 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:36 am

holy balls

YellowRoad
Gold-Member ;)

#3 Post by YellowRoad » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:09 pm

Concerning considering the structures <10 years old!

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#4 Post by timtam20292 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:21 pm

Falling debris closes major Adelaide road

Debris falling from a tram overpass has closed Adelaide's South Road, the city's main north-south corridor.

The South Australian transport department says a structural engineer has been called in to inspect the site and an independent expert will also be consulted.

"Until we are satisfied that passengers, cyclists and motorists are safe, South Road has been closed," the department said.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/0 ... laide-road

According to Steve Mullighan on twitter: "Tram services now assessed as safe to resume, but speed-restricted on bridge & no stopping at stop 6 on bridge, South Rd remains closed to traffic between Cross Rd and Anzac Hwy until further notice. Motorists pls stay clear and plan alternative route"

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#5 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:11 pm

Trams running, South Rd to stay closed
UPDATE: South Rd will remain closed between Cross Rd and Anzac Hwy indefinitely, causing major disruptions to Adelaide’s longest and busiest stretch of road. However, trams are now running again.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 2701c2efc3
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by timtam20292 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Please ignore all of my previous vents, I have just stumbled across this thread but can you please private message me as soon as my posts are moved/deleted with reason why thanks? I don't venture into the topical discussion section a lot so when I saw my post on the other thread had been "deleted" that really angered me.

Thank you for moving it here but please tell me.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:45 pm

timtam20292 wrote:Please ignore all of my previous vents, I have just stumbled across this thread but can you please private message me as soon as my posts are moved/deleted with reason why thanks? I don't venture into the topical discussion section a lot so when I saw my post on the other thread had been "deleted" that really angered me.

Thank you for moving it here but please tell me.
Soz. :?

Several people all posted the same news in three different places. Since this isn't development news, I put them all in the topical discussion area.

Notifying people is something I usually do, but sometimes forget to do / get distracted by work colleges (how rude! ;) ). Just remember for the future, if your post seems "deleted" I think you can click on your name to get to your profile and then click on "search user's posts" to see where they are gone.

We only tend to outright delete commercial spam posts. Everything else is sorted into the appropriate threads.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by timtam20292 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:51 pm

Thank you for your reply monotonehell and I will remember that for the future, all good :cheers:

Bacon
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#10 Post by Bacon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:00 pm

Speaking of overpasses on South rd...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-18/s ... ed/8190314

Check out the pics, looks pretty gnarly

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:03 pm

:shock: :shock:

there's no easy fix for that either
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by SRW » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:22 pm

Holy shit, that's no good! :shock:

Very lucky that the separation was gradual and noticed in time. Imagine if we had had that 1 in 50 year earthquake we're supposedly overdue for! It'll be interesting to see the engineers' report when released...
Keep Adelaide Weird

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#13 Post by HeapsGood » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:07 am

OlympusAnt wrote::shock: :shock:

there's no easy fix for that either

How long do you reckon?

Seems to me they would be better off to just to remove the section entirely, close down the bike path, let traffic flow as normal, get their shit together, then come back one weekend and attack it.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:43 am

Was the pedestrian overpass a late addition to the structure?

I'm no engineer, but to me it seems weird that the pedestrian overpass canter levers off the side of the structure, 'outside' the width of the bridge supports. One would imagine that if the pedestrian overpass was a part of the original design that it would be 'inside' the width of the bridge supports.

As I said, I'm no engineer, so take what I've said with a grain of salt. I'm not sure if this is even anything to do with the failure. The engineers report will be interesting..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#15 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:16 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:I'm no engineer, but to me it seems weird that the pedestrian overpass canter levers off the side of the structure, 'outside' the width of the bridge supports. One would imagine that if the pedestrian overpass was a part of the original design that it would be 'inside' the width of the bridge supports.
Same with the new South Road train overpass - the pedestrian/shared pathway cantilevers off the side. Obviously that's a metal bridge as opposed to concrete though.

Part of the fallen debris they showed on one of the news articles seemed to be from a large metal bracket of sorts – not sure if this is a superficial part of the side of the structure (i.e. the fencing) or whether it’s part of an expansion joint that has failed allowing the bridge deck to shift downwards.