Rename a suburb

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Rename a suburb

#31 Post by SRW » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:25 pm

skyliner wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:01 pm
I would like to rename some of the streets with multiple names into one name each. One of the worst early examples is the change of names across KWS (aparently just so the king's name would not be crossed).

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
I kinda like that quirk, and besides the streets have developed distinct characters between West and East end.

Although on the topic of street names, and to think out loud: I have been wondering whether the Market to Riverbank route being developed should receive one name to replace Bank, Leigh, Topham, Bentham & Pitt. Leigh is probably too notable to be renamed, so maybe the route just needs stronger branding.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Raider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#32 Post by Raider » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:19 pm
Nathan wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:08 pm
Rename Morphett Vale so that it no longer sounds like Morphettville.
Area between South, Bains, States & Wheatsheaf Roads could be Thrushgrove. Area by South, Wheatsheaf, States and Doctors Roads could be Wirreanda.
I think using the old railway stations in the area for names could work. The area bounded by Pimpala, Panalatinga, Bains & South Roads could be renamed Pimpala. The area bounded by Wheatsheaf, Panalatinga, Doctors & South Roads could be Coorara.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by HiTouch » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:06 pm

I’d rename the suburbs as a reflection of the people who live there.

E.g. Norwood to Glamville
Ethelton to Workman’s Wharf
Morphett Vale to Myexgirlfriend or simply, Hell for short
and Mawson Lakes to Myexgirlfriendsnewboyfriend or Dickhead Swamp for short

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by HiTouch » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:07 pm

But seriously, Modbury North should be Clovercrest

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#35 Post by crawf » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:32 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:06 pm
I’d rename the suburbs as a reflection of the people who live there.

E.g. Norwood to Glamville
Ethelton to Workman’s Wharf
Morphett Vale to Myexgirlfriend or simply, Hell for short
and Mawson Lakes to Myexgirlfriendsnewboyfriend or Dickhead Swamp for short
Errrr.... your posts are so random

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#36 Post by shiftaling » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:51 pm

I propose renaming Thebarton into the original, smaller suburb names of Southwark, Thebarton, West Thebarton, Hemmington etc to promote identification with local communities. Hemmington West even :)

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#37 Post by shiftaling » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:52 pm

In fact bring them all back, I think people would enjoy mentioning these obscure names when giving their address!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... burb_names

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#38 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:01 am

I agree. Wouldn't use all, but the vast majority of them. There's some seriously wicked old names there. I think if we had smaller suburbs it would help promote local identity a bit more.

Some suburbs in Adelaide are just way too big they've become generic and lack any real cultural or local identity. This could be a point of differentiation between us and the other major cities.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#39 Post by victorious80 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:43 am

I completely agree with smaller suburbs promoting identity and local community, and have been thinking where it could have the biggest impact. What do people think about splitting the suburb of Adelaide into multiple suburbs? At the moment it is a vast suburb of many different pockets with different identities.

Perhaps the northern half of the CBD are could remain as Adelaide, bounded by Wakefield/Grote, Morphett/Montefiore, Pulteney/Frome and the Torrens River. This would incorporate the majority of the commercial areas, as well as the Riverbank and cultural precincts.

We could then have the dedicated East End (around Rundle St) and West End (around Hindley).

The south-west corner could definitely be its own suburb (Market? Village? South West?) as it has a very different feel to the rest of the city.

The south-east corner around Hutt St could be something like East Adelaide

I think this would really assist in making the city less of an isolated island in the midst of the parklands, and more of a group of destinations with their own characteristics. Thoughts?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#40 Post by Goodsy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:44 am

shiftaling wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:52 pm
In fact bring them all back, I think people would enjoy mentioning these obscure names when giving their address!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... burb_names
while we're at it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... _Australia

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by shiftaling » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:08 pm

victorious80 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:43 am
I completely agree with smaller suburbs promoting identity and local community, and have been thinking where it could have the biggest impact. What do people think about splitting the suburb of Adelaide into multiple suburbs? At the moment it is a vast suburb of many different pockets with different identities.

Perhaps the northern half of the CBD are could remain as Adelaide, bounded by Wakefield/Grote, Morphett/Montefiore, Pulteney/Frome and the Torrens River. This would incorporate the majority of the commercial areas, as well as the Riverbank and cultural precincts.

We could then have the dedicated East End (around Rundle St) and West End (around Hindley).

The south-west corner could definitely be its own suburb (Market? Village? South West?) as it has a very different feel to the rest of the city.

The south-east corner around Hutt St could be something like East Adelaide

I think this would really assist in making the city less of an isolated island in the midst of the parklands, and more of a group of destinations with their own characteristics. Thoughts?
Love every bit of that idea, including the proposals for the names!

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#42 Post by Waewick » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:12 pm

It is amazing some great suburb names lost.

I wonder how many changed because the suburbs had a bad name?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#43 Post by rev » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:40 pm

Waewick wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:12 pm
It is amazing some great suburb names lost.

I wonder how many changed because the suburbs had a bad name?
I find the whole idea of changing a suburbs name to avoid the bad reputation it has garnered to be pointless.
Brompton wasn't the nicest place to live at one stage. Through urban renewal, and time, it's image has changed.

bits
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by bits » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:53 pm

rev wrote: Brompton wasn't the nicest place to live at one stage. Through urban renewal, and time, it's image has changed.
Isnt it just a construction site where one day some people may rent small apartments?
Actually I am thinking of Bowden.
Brompton is that weird Hawker Street, a hotel that wants to double the price of meals if staff are paid fairly and a bunch of units.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#45 Post by rev » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:55 am

bits wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:53 pm
rev wrote: Brompton wasn't the nicest place to live at one stage. Through urban renewal, and time, it's image has changed.
Isnt it just a construction site where one day some people may rent small apartments?
Actually I am thinking of Bowden.
Brompton is that weird Hawker Street, a hotel that wants to double the price of meals if staff are paid fairly and a bunch of units.
Brompton was a rough area before the developers moved in. Parts still are. But overall it's more pleasant. Attracts a hefty price tag too, especially the housing on the former pits.
Brompton isn't associated with its past. Remember the bikie club room that got blown up? It was in Brompton. That was kind of the peak in problems of the 1990's towards the end of the decade.
Now it's almost exclusively yuppies and their lattes.

A bit further north west, in the Westwood development, those suburbs were all meant to be renamed to Westwood.
Ferryden Park, also known as Feral Park, has turned out pretty nice, with the exception of the odd trust house that wasn't knocked over and rebuilt or sold off for redevelopment.
Some may still call it feral park, but they also couldn't afford to buy the average house in the suburb now.

Don't always need to change a suburbs name to change it's image or perceptions of it.