Petrol Station Owners

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Who's the dodgiest owner of petrol stations in Adelaide ?

#16 Post by Ho Really » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:08 am

ghs wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:41 pm
cmet wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:08 pm
Why?
There was a discussion on petrol stations on another thread and all hell broke loose.

I thought it was best to start a dedicated thread.
Perhaps a summary to get the thread going. Of course facts are appreciated, thanks.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Petrol Station Owners

#17 Post by Norman » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:40 pm

I've moved all the related posts into this topic. Please keep the discussion clean.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by Hooligan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:06 pm

Interesting, i didn't know people could be so passionate about petrol station brands.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Aidan

#19 Post by Aidan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:20 pm

YellowRoad wrote:This site would be great for an OTR.
Which site?
Do you mean this website?
Or was there a map that somehow disappeared? If so, where?
I even tried searching your name on Google Maps - plenty of Yellow Brick Road shops, and inexplicably a reserve in Marino, but no Yellow Road anywhere. Even Lemon Road is gone, absorbed into Young Street.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by Norman » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:37 pm

Aidan wrote:
YellowRoad wrote:This site would be great for an OTR.
Which site?
Do you mean this website?
Or was there a map that somehow disappeared? If so, where?
I even tried searching your name on Google Maps - plenty of Yellow Brick Road shops, and inexplicably a reserve in Marino, but no Yellow Road anywhere. Even Lemon Road is gone, absorbed into Young Street.
It was dragged out of the 88 O'Connell Street thread.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#21 Post by rev » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:05 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:06 pm
Interesting, i didn't know people could be so passionate about petrol station brands.
We're a divided state along petrol station allegiances.
In the left hand corner we have the OTR faction, in the right we have the anti-OTR, which is further divided between Coles/Woolies and others.

Theres more passion in this then over who invented the AB, the blue corner Blue & White Cafe or the red corner North Adelaide Burger bar, which now goes deeper into whether it's actually an AB or a Hallal snack pack as they call it in Victoria. First they stole our F1 Grand Prix, and now they're stealing our cuisine.

Pressing issues.

ghs

#22 Post by ghs » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:11 am

There's seems to be more and more money being spent on suburban petrol
stations in Adelaide and I can't help but think that they're not going to be sustainable. If Elon Musk
and his Tesla cars become popular I can see quite a lot of petrol stations closing
down in 10 years time.

bits
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by bits » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:47 pm

Otr or similar is a modern corner store or 7 day supermarket plus a fast food chain.
It is a convenience store finding profit in selling convenience and trading in hours larger Super markets are not allowed to.

If it wasn't them we would have sevenelevens instead.

I prefer the otr model. It is sa local and more convenient.

All the power to X convenience, Liberty and ampm etc to try and create competition in the space.
I believe most all are SA companies.
Someone actually attempting to challenge otr is great for customers.

Caltex/Woolworths and Shell/Coles have been left for dead in SA due to their lack of investment in the state.

SBD

#24 Post by SBD » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:04 am

ghs wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:11 am
There's seems to be more and more money being spent on suburban petrol
stations in Adelaide and I can't help but think that they're not going to be sustainable. If Elon Musk
and his Tesla cars become popular I can see quite a lot of petrol stations closing
down in 10 years time.
Liquid fuel will remain needed for many years to come, before most suburban cars have been replaced by electric vehicles.

I guess the business model is to make the site economic as a convenience and fast food/coffee outlet even if the fuel stops being profitable.

Deregulated shopping hours would allow these sites to grow larger, but also allow their larger supermarket competitors to open in competition. South Australia has a long history of preferring the independent locals over the national brands - in politics as well as retail.

ghs

#25 Post by ghs » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 pm

X-Convenience and OTR are both investing heavily in petrol stations with an expectation that in the long term ( 25 - 30 years)
they will get a return on it. But these petrol station supply non renewable energy which isn't sustainable over the long term.

In 15 - 20 years time electric cars will have taken over and we will see petrol stations closing down in the same fashion that a lot of
retailers have closed down recently. Business owners need to be able to predict what's going to happen in the future. Unfortunately
OTR and X-Convenience are going to pay the price for not forecasting the future.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by cmet » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:12 pm

ghs wrote:X-Convenience and OTR are both investing heavily in petrol stations with an expectation that in the long term ( 25 - 30 years)
they will get a return on it. But these petrol station supply non renewable energy which isn't sustainable over the long term.

In 15 - 20 years time electric cars will have taken over and we will see petrol stations closing down in the same fashion that a lot of
retailers have closed down recently. Business owners need to be able to predict what's going to happen in the future. Unfortunately
OTR and X-Convenience are going to pay the price for not forecasting the future.
You’re speculating. Why won’t they be able to adapt to cater for electric cars? Or why won’t they be able to have another means to bring in customers. Everyone already knows that these service stations make the vast majority of their PROFIT from sales inside the store, not at the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghs

#27 Post by ghs » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:31 pm

cmet wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:12 pm
You’re speculating. Why won’t they be able to adapt to cater for electric cars?
With electric cars you charge the battery at home. We've already seen the death of video shops, record shops
taxis, etc due to new technology. Petrol stations will be the next casualty for Adelaide.

zippySA
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by zippySA » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:49 pm

I actually thought their business model (like McDonald's) is to be a land owner - so they are not as wedded to what business sits on the land as much as simply owning what they consider to be prime real estate on our major transport network.
It would make sense for them to gradually add electric charging points, convert fuel storage to hydrogen storage etc over time - but in reality, they will bank the land and reconfigure whatever is built on the land to suit the market in my view.
Shrewd business.

ghs

#29 Post by ghs » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:07 pm

zippySA wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:49 pm
I actually thought their business model (like McDonald's) is to be a land owner - so they are not as wedded to what business sits on the land as much as simply owning what they consider to be prime real estate on our major transport network.
It would make sense for them to gradually add electric charging points, convert fuel storage to hydrogen storage etc over time - but in reality, they will bank the land and reconfigure whatever is built on the land to suit the market in my view.
Shrewd business.
I believe with Tesla cars it takes a few hours to charge the battery, so the owners normally re-charge at home then at a fuel station.

Nathan

#30 Post by Nathan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:20 pm

As bits said, they're not really "petrol stations" any more. Both are becoming more convenience stores, including fast food, along with other car related services like the big car washes. Petrol is less of a focus than it was previously.

It's a shame that if a lot of money is being spent on these, that we couldn't at least get some decent gas station architecture out of it.