Which suburbs are safe?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Maximus_Marc
Gold-Member ;)

#16 Post by Maximus_Marc » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:32 pm

Dude, when you come here and drive around you'll see with your eyes which are safe/nice and which aren't. Suburbs with lots of council homes (we call the housing trusts) are area to keep away from. Another give-away is if the area has lots of houses with junk out the front, ie scrap cars, tyres and other crap - then that usually tells the story. Concil Homes are concentrated in the outer north and south.

Does anyone have a pic of an adelaide housing trust i can't find any?

Cheers

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Algernon » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:53 pm

Redback20 wrote:a 100% burglar proof suburb doesn't exist on the planet lets get real.
Yeah? Lived in Semaphore Park for 5 years and regularly left the front and back doors wide open to freshen up the house while I was out (talking 10 hours here), not a single issue.

Mind you someone else on my block was murdered (the hit for hire when the family went to the video shop).

So, proof that my suburb was burglar (but not murder) proof :D

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Howie » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:03 pm

Maximus_Marc wrote:Suburbs with lots of council homes (we call the housing trusts) are area to keep away from. s
housing trust homes are housing trust homes, they're not owned by the council. also the tenants often get a bad rap because of a few bad apples... i've lived in a housing trust home for more than half my life. had no issues with my neighbours, we looked out for one another.

but anyhow, every suburb will have a minimum level of government housing.. this is now a statutory requirement of town planning now. so you'll see suburbs such as magill, auldana, etc having housing trust homes too in the future. The problem you find is where there are large concentrations of housing trust homes, in a few years time that'll be a thing of the past - the housing trust of south australia are selling thousands of homes every year and most of the land are going into the hands of developers.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#19 Post by Algernon » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:22 pm

Yeah it's a real bad call to label trust houses (the standard semi detached ones) as dodgy - a shitload of them are privately owned. I have a mate who bought one outright (low 100s :lol:), and the couple of hundred grand he saved went straight in to inside refurbishment. Absolute farken pad! Polished boards, new kitchen, the works.

They're also a sturdier construction than the crap going up around us these days!

piggylai81
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#20 Post by piggylai81 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:22 pm

Hi Howie,

Im from Kuala Lumpur. :lol:

Maximus_Marc
Gold-Member ;)

#21 Post by Maximus_Marc » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:17 pm

I've been watch too much english tv, they call them council homes/estates.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by Edgar » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:09 am

Will wrote:
edgar_raphael wrote:No surburbs are safe, not even Adelaide city itself :wink: (well at least, not entirely). You can live in the city apartment and have your car window smashed even in secured carparks (happened to a friend of mine who used to live in one of the city apartments).

You make it seem as though our city is under siege by criminals. What a load of rubbish! Although crime exists in Adelaide, if you compare it to the rest of the world, we are very safe.
You got the wrong intention, I wasn't intention to say that our city is "under seige by criminals". What I am trying to stress out here is that, it is probably not the best way to ask around which surburbs are safe. The topic starter should have phrased it in another way, eg "Which surburbs are more liveable" or "Which surburbs are more pleasent to live in", then we will still get the drift.

I don't know why are you getting so worked out on what I've just said, and what you had just said in your own post just contradicts yourself.

Like I said, no where is safe, even the safest place on earth is not safe, there is no doubts on that. Living in the city, you will be faced (you can't run away from that) with troubles such as drunken worthless piece of society who would do anything just to satisfy their ego.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by Edgar » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:15 am

bdm wrote:Image

Unsafest areas:

1) Adelaide City
2) Port Adelaide
3) Elizabeth West
4) Elizabeth
5) Noarlunga

Safest areas:

1) Adelaide Hills Ranges
2) Adelaide Hills North
3) Adelaide Hills Balhannah
4) South Marion
5) Happy Valley

Unsafest LGA's:

1) Adelaide City
2) Port Adelaide
3) Playford (Elizabeth)
4) West Torrens
5) Norwood Payneham St Peters

Safest LGA's:
1) Adelaide Hills
2) Burnside
3) Campbelltown
4) Tea Tree Gully
5) Mitcham
I think this is a more appropriate term, "unsafest", I am pretty surprise you haven't got anything to say to bdm's post, Will?

Adelaide is a nice place to live in, it is 'safer' compared to other major cities in Australia, which is why I decided to stay back and apply for an Australian Permanent Residency to reside in Adelaide.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by Will » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:46 pm

edgar_raphael wrote:
Will wrote:
edgar_raphael wrote:No surburbs are safe, not even Adelaide city itself :wink: (well at least, not entirely). You can live in the city apartment and have your car window smashed even in secured carparks (happened to a friend of mine who used to live in one of the city apartments).

You make it seem as though our city is under siege by criminals. What a load of rubbish! Although crime exists in Adelaide, if you compare it to the rest of the world, we are very safe.
You got the wrong intention, I wasn't intention to say that our city is "under seige by criminals". What I am trying to stress out here is that, it is probably not the best way to ask around which surburbs are safe. The topic starter should have phrased it in another way, eg "Which surburbs are more liveable" or "Which surburbs are more pleasent to live in", then we will still get the drift.

I don't know why are you getting so worked out on what I've just said, and what you had just said in your own post just contradicts yourself.

Like I said, no where is safe, even the safest place on earth is not safe, there is no doubts on that. Living in the city, you will be faced (you can't run away from that) with troubles such as drunken worthless piece of society who would do anything just to satisfy their ego.
I understand now that I should have been more considerate with your opinion, in that English is not your first language. However, realize that your statement; "No surburbs are safe, not even Adelaide city itself " sounds very strong and provocative.