Smoking Bans

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Smoking Bans

#61 Post by Nathan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:26 pm

correction: arseholes drinking alcohol related.

Most people manage to behave themselves after a few drinks. The problem is with people who are already arseholes, and alcohol amplifying their existing behaviour.

Waewick

#62 Post by Waewick » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:33 pm

It is the same with police putting speed as a reason for a crash.

They put it as a default regardless of if it had to do with speed or not.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#63 Post by monotonehell » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:04 am

Waewick wrote:It is the same with police putting speed as a reason for a crash.

Not the same at all. Even if you are a good driver, something can go wrong causing an accident. If you are speeding, the resultant crash has a great deal more energy with which to do damage.

Arse-holes getting drunk are still arse-holes, just drunken arse-holes.

Of course if they then get into a car...
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#64 Post by Waewick » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:49 am

monotonehell wrote:
Waewick wrote:It is the same with police putting speed as a reason for a crash.

Not the same at all. Even if you are a good driver, something can go wrong causing an accident. If you are speeding, the resultant crash has a great deal more energy with which to do damage.

Arse-holes getting drunk are still arse-holes, just drunken arse-holes.

Of course if they then get into a car...
I'm suggesting otherwise.

I am suggesting however that speed and alcohol are easy scapegoats

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#65 Post by Dog » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:15 am

I am for user pays, if smoking costs the Aussie economy $35bn a year and we are only collecting $15bn in taxes we need to put smokes up to $40 a pack. Same goes for Alcohol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Waewick

#66 Post by Waewick » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:26 am

Dog wrote:I am for user pays, if smoking costs the Aussie economy $35bn a year and we are only collecting $15bn in taxes we need to put smokes up to $40 a pack. Same goes for Alcohol.

I'd like to see user pays for everything, I sick of certain things being cherry picked for "user pays".

I might add, me paying more for my grog because of the damage it does to others isn't user pays.

you want user pays for that? pretty simple stop medicare, and compulsory insurance and put the cost back on the individual, in Australia we are so focused on spreading the cost over the broader community people like me are constantly paying overs to subsidies others.

Aidan

#67 Post by Aidan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Dog wrote:I am for user pays, if smoking costs the Aussie economy $35bn a year and we are only collecting $15bn in taxes we need to put smokes up to $40 a pack. Same goes for Alcohol.
I've no objection to putting those taxes up, but if you look at the actual cost, ITYF it's nowhere near $35bn.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

Smoking Bans

#68 Post by Dog » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:20 pm

2009 figures $31bn
The cancer council puts it at $35bn
Tax and excise collected $7bn

arki
High Rise Poster!

#69 Post by arki » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:59 pm

I absoloutely cannot BELIEVE that people think smoking really costs the economy $31bn a year. What a load of BULLSHIT. Far out the Australian public are ridiculously dumb if they believe this tripe.

Maybe you should read this
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion ... 6689781351#

To summarise, $318.4 million is the reported burden of smoking on the healthcare system, about 30.7bn short of your ridiculous figure and MUCH less than the $8.85bn tax revenue generated from tobacco sales.

Pull the damn wool out of your eyes and realise that your government couldn't give a shit what the real 'burden' is.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#70 Post by monotonehell » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:41 pm

arki wrote:I absoloutely cannot BELIEVE that people think smoking really costs the economy $31bn a year. What a load of BULLSHIT. Far out the Australian public are ridiculously dumb if they believe this tripe.

Maybe you should read this
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion ... 6689781351#

To summarise, $318.4 million is the reported burden of smoking on the healthcare system, about 30.7bn short of your ridiculous figure and MUCH less than the $8.85bn tax revenue generated from tobacco sales.

Pull the damn wool out of your eyes and realise that your government couldn't give a shit what the real 'burden' is.
You're both correct, just quoting a different stat. M$318 was the 2004/5 net health cost of smoking, while M$31,485 was the total cost of smoking to society as a whole in 2004/5 considering all aspects.
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/drugs ... mono64.pdf
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#71 Post by arki » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:31 pm

My point is that 31bn is a ridiculous figure (19bn of which is derived from 'Intangible Costs' which is - get this - 'pain and suffering' and valuation of life costs. The cost of life most certainly can't be quantified and it's pathetic to see a randomly plucked number reported in a supposed economical figure). The rest of the figure comes from absenteeism due to smoke related illness and then very questionably the cost of resources used to produce cigarettes (?). So I guess there is no one benefiting from having a damn job in these companies and the suppliers such as tobacco growers are not benefiting from the purchase of their goods. Needless to say and anyone with half a brain can see that the costs to society are grossly over exaggerated.

Just ask yourself, if the direct health expenditure due to smoking in the very same report is so low at ~318m do you honestly believe that the total cost to society figure would rise so high? Give me a break.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#72 Post by Will » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:41 pm

Alcohol is one of the last few things this country manufactures. Think about that when asking for alcohol to be made more expensive.....

serca
High Rise Poster!

Re: Smoking and Drinking

#73 Post by serca » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Yeah good one . Lets hope we don't Seymour threads like this one hey :shock:

Dog
High Rise Poster!

Smoking Bans

#74 Post by Dog » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:57 pm

Smoking results in an annual 750,000 bed days in hospital.
Kills 15,500 Australians per year.

Last edited by Dog on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aidan

Re: Smoking and Drinking

#75 Post by Aidan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:21 pm

Dog wrote:Smoking results in an annual 750,000 bed days in hospital.
Kills 15,500 Australians per year.
Are you basing that claim on the 2003 figures like in the graph? The smoking rate has fallen a lot since then.

Anyway, why are you bothering to post all this waffle? Everyone already knows smoking is harmful and kills a lot of people.
But the claims about the cost to taxpayers are still as dubious as ever, and nothing less than a complete cost breakdown will change that.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.