Smoking Bans

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Smoking Bans

#1 Post by Ben » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:01 pm

Car smoking ban to start in May

Laws to ban smoking in cars when children under 16 are present will come into force in South Australia in late May.

Legislation allowing for the ban to apply from May 31 - World Tobacco Day - passed the South Australian parliament last night.

Substance Abuse Minister Gail Gago said the new laws would put South Australia at the forefront of anti-smoking measures.

So far, only one other state, Tasmania, is considering a similar move.

In the US, just Arkansas has similar legislation.

''We've already banned smoking in work vehicles and we know there's also strong community support to extend that ban to those times when children are travelling in private cars,'' Ms Gago said.

''Cars are contained spaces with low ceilings and toxic air particles including carbon monoxide are concentrated at the head height of children.''

The minister said police would enforce the ban in the same way they did the use of mobile phones while driving, with on-the-spot fines ranging from $75 to $200, depending on the circumstances.

Pubs and Clubs will be smoke free from October this year as well. Hopefully 12 months after a lot of people will have quit (the social smokers) and the streets will be noticably cleaner... here's hoping.
Last edited by Ben on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2 Post by sam » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:21 pm

I think it should also be an offence to smoke in any sort of queue (eg: bus queue) and within 10m of an entrance to any building.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by Pistol » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:01 pm

Will this be policed as well as talking on mobile phones in cars? I thought that you couldn't smoke within a certain area around a building entrance already?

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Edgar » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:56 am

Pistol78 wrote:Will this be policed as well as talking on mobile phones in cars? I thought that you couldn't smoke within a certain area around a building entrance already?
I don't exactly know the proper regulations on smoking since I quit smoking a year ago.

But as far as I am concerned, you can smoke anywhere as long as it is not indoor premises or building. So you can smoke as soon as you step out of the entrance door.

But certain buildings or malls have their own regulations in which they draw lines outside the entrace with the notice saying "No Smoking Beyond Line" which is usually 5 metres away from the entrance.

If it is a no-smoking-at-all areas, there should be signs posted around, otherwise regulations do not comply then. So it is very important for building/premises to put up the no-smoking signs.

It may sound impossible but I guess you cannot stop people from smoking, it is just a fact, but we can make them not smoke in public areas, but building a special kiosk specifically for smokers.

I think this technology has been around in some part of the world where you get this aluminium pole thing which sucks in the smoke coming out from the cigarettes. So these kiosks will have multipoles everywhere, and smokers just stand around the poles and smoke, and it all get sucks in and does not flow out of the area.

But of course it is too costly for free public use, and impossible to put up these kiosks everywhere around the city to cater the number of smokers we have.

Maximus_Marc
Gold-Member ;)

#5 Post by Maximus_Marc » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:42 pm

who here smokes?

I don't

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Pistol » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:03 pm

Guilty!

But I only smoke either at work or at home. Don't smoke in public or at pubs. I remember how annoying passive smoking was (only been smoking for 2 years and have just booked myself into that quit smoking in an hour deal - hope it works!)

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Ben » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:16 pm

i don't.

Good luck Pistol78 I know from what my mate has told me it's hard but if your committed you can do it.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Smoking Bans

#8 Post by Ben » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:46 pm

From the Messenger:
City pubs brace for the big stink

Aaron Coultate

11Sep07

A SURPRISE side-effect of the upcoming smoking bans in pubs and clubs from November 1, will be exposure to the poor personal hygiene of many patrons

Cigarette smoke, while a health hazard, conveniently masks all sorts of body odours including flatulence, burps and perspiration, as well as other odours such as smelly carpets and toilets.

In Victorian hotels, where tobacco bans started on July 1, patrons and staff noticed the bad smells at unprecedented levels prompting even non-smokers, according to Melbourne newspapers, to question the merits of the ban, and general hygiene standards.

Melbourne venues resorted to incense sticks, scented fog machines and circulated scented oils through air conditioning vents.

``I know it has been a bit of an issue interstate,'' Australian Hotels Association SA general manager Ian Horne said.

``When the smell of smoke is gone, you will notice a range of other smells ... like the cleanliness of the carpets and the aroma of the patrons.

``Of course BO is off-putting but you don't get a disease from BO.''

Zok Szoeke, general manager of Melbourne club One-Six-One, was one to turn to incense sticks and evaporative oils to clear the air.

``We're not noticing the smell as much now,'' he told the City Messenger.

``I think some people are looking after themselves a bit more, maybe they bring some deodorant out into town with them.''

Mr Szoeke said the smelly problem hadn't completely disappeared. ``We are a smaller club, so it isn't as much of an issue. You still go to bigger places and get hit by a wall of smell when you walk in.''

Former Goodwood resident Ava Saunders, 21, now living in Melbourne, described the smell effect as ``terrible''.

``As you get closer to the dance floor you find yourself covering your nose. Then when you walk within five metres of the toilets you get the gag reflex happening,'' she said.

``I don't think the air conditioning vents work because BO just clings to everybody.''

Smoking is banned in all licensed venues from November 1. Smoking bans are already in place in every other state.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Ben » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Also in The Messenger:
Smoke ban may mean less patrons

Aaron Coultate

11Sep07

WHILE suburban pubs and clubs spend millions creating outdoor bars ahead of November's new tobacco laws, land-locked city venues are adopting a ``wait and see'' attitude.

The hotel industry is predicting the bans on smoking inside from November 1 will have a much greater impact in the city, where pubs and clubs cannot so easily spread.

``The problem is many of the places in the city are land-locked, so they can't build a beer garden or smoking area,'' said Australian Hotels Association SA general manager Ian Horne.

He said experience interstate showed pubs should expect trade to drop anywhere between five and 20 per cent: ``20 percent can be the difference between keeping the doors open or not.''

City pubs that already have an outdoor drinking area won't be as badly affected, he said.

``There's a real mixture in the city ... there's a wait-and-see mentality.

``You also have places like the Brecknock or the Richmond ... they have outdoor areas or balconies so they will be okay.''

Bull & Bear owner Paul Curren hoped the new laws wouldn't have a negative impact on his underground pub in King William St.

``I think people will just go on to the footpath and smoke like they do everywhere else in the world,'' Mr Curren said. Longtime publican Kerry Moore, who sold his Brecknock Hotel, in June, said he thought some pubs may struggle. ``Only time will tell. I don't envisage a drop off in trade, people here can go into the beer garden or the back courtyard if they want to smoke.''

The Saracens Head, in Carrington St, is spending $600,000 on an existing courtyard for smokers: ``I don't think things will change too much,'' owner Matt Mitchell said. ``Everyone is pretty educated about the new laws and we hope it will be beneficial to the business in the long run.''

SA is the last state to introduce smoking bans and Mr Horne said the experiences in states where bans were 12-months-old showed ``things tend to balance out after a year''.

``Hopefully a lot people will be attracted to pubs because they are smoke-free.''

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:09 pm

The last state? :?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Ben » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:17 pm

Some of my friends who were recently up in QLD told me how all the clubs smelt disgusting like BO ect and I didn't belive them but obviously there is some truth to this. Hopefully they will do what they've done in VIC and install some sort of nutralisation or air freshener.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by bmw boy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:23 pm

Anyone no how easy the transition was in other states??

did they have problems with people disobeying the new laws??

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Ben » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:27 pm

bmw boy wrote:Anyone no how easy the transition was in other states??

did they have problems with people disobeying the new laws??
I know in the UK when they enforced theirs in July this year there was a shooting after someone got kicked out of a club for smoking they came back after the bouncers.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by Bulldozer » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:41 pm

beamer85 wrote:Some of my friends who were recently up in QLD told me how all the clubs smelt disgusting like BO ect and I didn't belive them but obviously there is some truth to this. Hopefully they will do what they've done in VIC and install some sort of nutralisation or air freshener.
Nonsense. It was a shock for me to walk into a pub in Adelaide the other month and be slammed in the face by the stench of smoke. I'd forgotten just how terrible it is to wake up the morning after a night out with your pillow wreaking of the smell of smoke that's rubbed off your hair, the smell of the smoke as you wash your hair and the stench of your clothes as you take them to the laundry.

Sure, you do catch the occasional whiff of someone dropping one in a crowded place, but I haven't smelt BO. The realisty is that it's always been happening so what's the deal? The deal is that AHA members will see bar takings dip 10% or so for the first year or two, while takings from eateries will go up by a similar amount as more non-smokers come out. Oh, and venues will have to spend more to actually do a good job at keeping the place clean.

Hell, if it means people clean up their personal hygiene and develop some manners then it's even better!

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by Diamond » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:45 pm

beamer85 wrote:Some of my friends who were recently up in QLD told me how all the clubs smelt disgusting like BO ect and I didn't belive them but obviously there is some truth to this. Hopefully they will do what they've done in VIC and install some sort of nutralisation or air freshener.
I went to HQ not so long ago and got there quite early in the night. The main room was pretty empty and I remember it really stank like a mixture of farts and a toilet, probably because there weren't many smokers around at that time to mask the smell.
Perhaps places like this can give their whole venue a good steam cleaning or something to that effect to clean out all the odours once the smoking bans come into place.
Vladimir Putin - TIME Magazine's Man Of The Year 2007