growth rate

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
debonair1959
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#16 Post by debonair1959 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:10 pm

SUPPOSE anywhere in adelaide must be onway up

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:41 pm

Redback20 wrote:As crawf says, whilst there maybe many potential up and coming areas... the Port would be my best bet for property investment. Close to the Outer Harbor line too, therefore close to the city.
If you don't mind me asking, how do you come to that conclusion? I just don't see what will drive growth in the Port Adelaide area.

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

#18 Post by Redback20 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:42 pm

Seen it happen in so many other cities, in europe and more recently in melbourne. I assume sydney too altho i haven't seen it so couldnt comment?

Ports/docklands, whatever you wanna call em, tend for historical reasons to be close to CBDs and have decent transport links, they also have plenty of waterfronts which as any real estate people will tell you, is always a winner. Add in the general population return to inner city and brown site areas seen in many western cities across the world, and the demand for city apartment living - not everyone wants a view of the hills and a backyard.

Compare any post-industrial city now with 20-30yrs ago and you will almost certainly see their old port/docklands/canal areas totally transformed with new residential/leisure developments. And often the most expensive postcodes as well...

My feeling may just be that its happened in many other places and theres no reason to think it won't happen here, I can't see why Adelaide should be any different.
It takes an initial momentum to start... but from what I see, thats already occurring in Pt Adl right now.

Just my personal guess anyway... if I had the spare cash!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#19 Post by rev » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:57 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:
Redback20 wrote:As crawf says, whilst there maybe many potential up and coming areas... the Port would be my best bet for property investment. Close to the Outer Harbor line too, therefore close to the city.
If you don't mind me asking, how do you come to that conclusion? I just don't see what will drive growth in the Port Adelaide area.
Care to explain why then?

Although I figure from your previous post about the Port Adelaide area, there wont be much substance to your argument, rather just the typical and somewhat outdated stereotypes.

I assume your unaware of the strong sales in the $1.2 billion development?

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by rogue » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:02 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:If you don't mind me asking, how do you come to that conclusion? I just don't see what will drive growth in the Port Adelaide area.
Are you serious? Have you seen the thread http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... c.php?t=70.

Development in the Port is progressing rapidly and with the Port Waterfront Development, completion of the Port River Expressway, the AWD contract at Osborne, the redevelopment of Semaphore Road and other projects on the Le Fevre Peninsula.

Stage 1 of the waterfront redevelopment will have occupancy before the year is out and the heart of Port Adelaide around St Vincent Street and Commercial Road has been revamped along with the Central Buildings.

Proposals such as light rail to Port Adelaide will only see this former derelict area once again become a thriving hub of activity over the coming years.

debonair1959
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#21 Post by debonair1959 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:10 pm

being anoutsider port has to liven up a bit

Maximus_Marc
Gold-Member ;)

#22 Post by Maximus_Marc » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:31 pm

Does anyone have a clue on when the last Census results will be ready for us to view? because the population on wikipedia has changed from the last time i checked.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:12 pm

Redback20 wrote:Seen it happen in so many other cities, in europe and more recently in melbourne. I assume sydney too altho i haven't seen it so couldnt comment?

Ports/docklands, whatever you wanna call em, tend for historical reasons to be close to CBDs and have decent transport links, they also have plenty of waterfronts which as any real estate people will tell you, is always a winner. Add in the general population return to inner city and brown site areas seen in many western cities across the world, and the demand for city apartment living - not everyone wants a view of the hills and a backyard.

Compare any post-industrial city now with 20-30yrs ago and you will almost certainly see their old port/docklands/canal areas totally transformed with new residential/leisure developments. And often the most expensive postcodes as well...

My feeling may just be that its happened in many other places and theres no reason to think it won't happen here, I can't see why Adelaide should be any different.
It takes an initial momentum to start... but from what I see, thats already occurring in Pt Adl right now.

Just my personal guess anyway... if I had the spare cash!
Everything you've mentioned refers to inner city living. Port Adelaide is not inner city. By Adeaide standards it's closer to being outer suburb than anything. It has nothing of the benefits of inner city living, like being close to quality night life, restaurants, workplaces. Sure, for some people it might be close to work but not at the numbers even close to rivalling a city.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:28 pm

rev wrote:
Tyler_Durden wrote:
Care to explain why then?

Although I figure from your previous post about the Port Adelaide area, there wont be much substance to your argument, rather just the typical and somewhat outdated stereotypes.

I assume your unaware of the strong sales in the $1.2 billion development?
It's all about supply and demand. You and others have referred to the huge supply of new accomodation coming on to the market in this area. Therefore, growth can only be driven by demand not only matching that supply, but outstripping supply. A glut of new accomodation in the area will, in my opinion, mean growth will be minimal for quite a long time.

Glenelg has experienced this in recent times with many people making losses on their apartments in the last few years.

So, there you have my opinion. Instead of getting all defensive, explain to me, or more importantly the person who asked the initial question, where this growth will come from.

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

#25 Post by Redback20 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:58 pm

Many british cities like manchester, liverpool, the docklands areas are much further out in proportion than Port Adl is (Adelaide being a vastly bigger metro area), and London's docklands is about 15kms out, if not further (greater london being a more comparable size to Adl). People don't buy into these places for inner city living - if they want that they go to the CBD. Its the style of living, loft appts, the waterfront and historical/maritime perspective as well as being close to the CBD with good links - which the Port is - I certainly wouldnt call Port outer suburbs, its only what 12kms? Direct road route? direct train line?
Noarlunga, gawler, mt barker would be outer suburbs IMO

SA is experiencing positive population and economy growth, I see no reason why the Port should not be viewed as a good bet for a guy like debonair moving to Adl and wanting a decent investment value to grow with their property over say 10-15yrs time which I assume was the original Q. As there will be plenty of interest from local investors too IMO, especially if/when we start to see knock-on effects from the state's mining boom.

cheers,

debonair1959
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#26 Post by debonair1959 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:34 pm

i was on the plane from perth thursday last week 3 couples at airport from perth where buying investments as they are two expensive in perth so people from the outside are moving into adelaides market

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

#27 Post by Redback20 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:42 am

Well exactly right mate there's also that growth as well. When I was selling at Hallett Cove the agent told me there was a lot of interest from sydney & melbourne investors who see SA as offering low property prices for relatively high rental rates, and who will fly in at weekends to do 15-20 opens. She could only speak for her southern patch but I'm sure thats true for other areas too.

Which illustrates that altho dominating this thread recently, the Port's not the only place for you to consider

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#28 Post by rhino » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:55 am

debonair1959 wrote:i was on the plane from perth thursday last week 3 couples at airport from perth where buying investments as they are two expensive in perth so people from the outside are moving into adelaides market
Wow! Back in the 1980s people I work with were buying up real estate in Perth because it was so much cheaper than here in Adelaide!
cheers,
Rhino

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#29 Post by rev » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:40 pm

The thing with areas like the port, with undeveloped land, old/trust houses, is that they will all be undergoing urban renewal. There is only one way for prices to go, and that is up.

Take the Westwood area for example. Ferryden Park one of the suburbs thats been redeveloped, was the poorest suburb in the country prior to the redevelopment. Now, well I dont know where it ranks but it sure isnt rock bottom.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:03 am

What is the worst suburb of Adelaide these days?, Because the former bad areas "The Parks" and "Daveron Park/Smithfield Plains" are under redevelopment.

I would say Parafield Gardens or around that area