North Western Surburs - Unsafe?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Edgar
Legendary Member!

North Western Surburs - Unsafe?

#1 Post by Edgar » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:02 pm

I thought northern surburbs were the worst, but nothing is worser than the northern western surburbs, read: Pennington, Port Adelaide, Mansfield Park, Arndale, Westlakes etc. Having been living there for the past half a year just got me a little worried in regards to what I am doing when I am out of the house.

I could have been shot, robbed, rammed, killed etc if it's not my day. The recent activities by the notorious Gang 49 just made things worse, few weeks ago, there was gun shooting, then robberies at liquor stores, then robbing and attacking innocent victims, then high speed chase, and so much more.

I guess, these make the local surburbs as the unsafest places in Adelaide.

:(
Last edited by Edgar on Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: North Western Surburs - Unsafe?

#2 Post by rev » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:38 pm

I think fearing that you will be shot or killed, is a little dramatic.

I live in the north west too, and I feel safe.

You may be under the impression your unsafe and might get shot or rammed by a stolen car the moment you walk out your front door, but that is the media created fear. Their attention is focused on the gang of 49 currently. This gang has been around for years, yet its only now the media is making a big deal about them because they have nothing else to waste their time on. The crime rate hasn't increased suddenly, the media is just paying more attention for their own benefit, ie ratings.

Not too long ago, the southern suburbs were their focus.

They are milking this gang of 49 stuff for all its worth, when their ratings start falling, they'll move on to something else as usual.

Trust me, your safe. You could be shot, rammed, killed etc in any suburb of Adelaide, or anywhere on the planet, if its not your day.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Howie » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:58 pm

edgar_raphael wrote:I thought northern surburbs were the worse, but nothing worser than the northern western surburbs, read: Pennington, Port Adelaide, Mansfield Park, Arndale, Westlakes etc. Having been living there for the past half a year just got me a little worried in regards to what I am doing when I am out of the house.
I'm in one of those forementioned suburbs. Its much better since they demolished angle park and ferryden park. Also the local member for port adelaide and jay weatherill the minister for housing had been hard on the governments case to get a one strike and you're out policy for public housing tenants which has led to a big decline in the number of crimes committed. Not to mention there is a minimum level of public housing required by all suburbs now, so they're not all concentrated in the one area.

Having lived around the north west all my life, i can tell you 10-15 years ago it was much much worse than it is today.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by bmw boy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:34 pm

edgar_raphael wrote:I thought northern surburbs were the worse, but nothing worser than the northern western surburbs, read: Pennington, Port Adelaide, Mansfield Park, Arndale, Westlakes etc. Having been living there for the past half a year just got me a little worried in regards to what I am doing when I am out of the house.
:(

West Lakes is that bad?

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by jimmy_2486 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:56 pm

Yehh id say the north west is pretty scary between pt Adelaide and going all the way to kilburn.

Hanson road is probably the scariest street to walk down for me.

Mansfield Park id say tops the list.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AtD » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:06 pm

As scary as Prospect Rd?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#7 Post by Cruise » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:20 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Yehh id say the north west is pretty scary between pt Adelaide and going all the way to kilburn.

Hanson road is probably the scariest street to walk down for me.

Mansfield Park id say tops the list.
Ah hanson road...... a whore for every budget.....

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:04 pm

Cruise Control wrote:Ah hanson road...... a whore for every budget.....
Hahaha good one.

I stayed for a bit at my grandmas house in wingfield which is very close to the Mansfield park action. I kept hearing screams and people fighting during the day. Scared the shits outta me and im a 100+kg 6 foot 4 bloke hahaha.

Also my grandma tells me about how some people grow dope in the houses and the abos smell it and just raid their houses for the dope.

Another story ive heard is my auntie having to drop my cousin off at the Parks recreation centre and had to turn off hanson rd onto gateshead rd and there were abo kids playing in the street. My auntie stopped to wait for them to get off the street but they just stared at her and wouldn't get off the road. So she had to do a u-turn and went another way... now that sickens me, this is like NY bronx style treatment.

I could write a book on that place hahaha

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by Norman » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:54 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:
Cruise Control wrote:Ah hanson road...... a whore for every budget.....
Hahaha good one.

I stayed for a bit at my grandmas house in wingfield which is very close to the Mansfield park action. I kept hearing screams and people fighting during the day. Scared the shits outta me and im a 100+kg 6 foot 4 bloke hahaha.

Also my grandma tells me about how some people grow dope in the houses and the abos smell it and just raid their houses for the dope.

Another story ive heard is my auntie having to drop my cousin off at the Parks recreation centre and had to turn off hanson rd onto gateshead rd and there were abo kids playing in the street. My auntie stopped to wait for them to get off the street but they just stared at her and wouldn't get off the road. So she had to do a u-turn and went another way... now that sickens me, this is like NY bronx style treatment.

I could write a book on that place hahaha
Should be a bestseller since the Snowtown Stories book :shock:

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by Brando » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:59 pm

Am i immune to this now or have things shifted...! I live in the Northern suburbs and the activity mentioned all above seems almost the norm here. Is it publicity has shifted or are things generally moving away from the Northern suburbs. Both my girlfriend and i work near prospect and hanson rd's and the only difference i have noticed is prostitution is prolific is these areas.
I have noticed in my area a gang going around with the tattoo '5108' down their forearm. 5108 is postcode for Salisbury for those interested to know.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by JAKJ » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:25 pm

Brando wrote: I have noticed in my area a gang going around with the tattoo '5108' down their forearm. 5108 is postcode for Salisbury for those interested to know.
:lol: What happens if they move? or are they Salisbury for life :lol:

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#12 Post by Shuz » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:42 pm

Oh theyre Salisbury for life.

Ill reserve my harsher criticisms over the social climate of the North.

Yes, I'm southside - my roots here in the inner south appease me satisfactorarily enough to not have to worry about the dramas of the north, for they're too far away to care less about.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:07 am

lol now now...we dont want any north-south wars to start up here...heheh

I believe low cost housing is to blame in the end....
Poor/crime-loving people generally live in areas only where they can afford to, and the north is the perfect position for it.

Over time i reckon as house prices increase during the years those people will fade out unless they fix themselves up and get good jobs, then their crime ways will fade out as well.

I mean in 10 years time say even the norths ave house value will increase to prob at worst case over half a million if it continues its trend. Far too expensive for a bum to live in.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#14 Post by rev » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:54 pm

I don't mean to offend anyone, and I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but I reckon some of you are soft.
:lol:

I mean in 10 years time say even the norths ave house value will increase to prob at worst case over half a million if it continues its trend. Far too expensive for a bum to live in.
Most of them live in trust homes.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Ben » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:43 pm

Another interesting bit of trivia:

The stripclub on Hindley 108's was formed by one of the "wealthier" salisbraians to give unemployed single mothers/high risk females a income and the name 108's comes from the postcode 5108. :shock: