North Western Surburs - Unsafe?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

Re: North Western Surburs - Unsafe?

#61 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:38 am

Yes true but they CHOOSE to live that life....and they CHOOSE to parent their kids this way. They are not puppets with strings, people make their own choices.

I mean its fair to say that people can live life how they want and do what they want as it is a free country. But the thing is that their kids are made to suffer because the parents were unable to at least make an effort to support them with the right education, upbringing etc. I really feel for these kids and I think THAT is really unfair. I mean why should a stupid decision to have unsafe sex when your not financially ready to have kids, have to burden another's life?

Money should be spent in educating these families so they make the right choices in life. They need to be given a positive attitude, a reason to live in some cases. Most are like this cos they have given up on life.

I know lots of people who have been brought up in bad homes and have managed to become very successful people. Unfortunately its not the norm case.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#62 Post by Edgar » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:33 am

I am an international student from one of the Asian country, when I first I arrived, I live right smack in the middle of the city at a new unit in Carrington street, then after a year, I moved further out, just outside the CBD at Henley Beach Rd, and currently, I am staying at the Pennington. I like this place because it has more Asian people around, I have exposure to more Asian scenes (read: groceries, people etc), which makes me feel more like home.

Furthermore, people are friendlier around here, people that walked pass my house will wave and greet me, regardless of my skin colour, while I was in the city, most of the time, I experienced "mind you own fking business" sort of life, I guess because the stress level for living close to the city is pretty high :lol:

However, during my half a year stay around these areas, I realised that it is not entirely true, that all lower-income earners can be a threat. I've met nice not-that-well-off neighbours who would cook and bring foods over for us, and I have neighbours who are dodgy they would commit stealing crime even when they are just living besides you, and they even have the guts to dub in other people.

Now I don't want to be a racist, but being a stereotype is unevitable, you see dodgy looking people loitering and wandering (mind you, it's not 'walking') along the streets and roads, would you not feel scared or threatened? Tell me, as a wise person, would you not pay more attention when you come accross 'these' group of people?

And why do I say this Northen Surburbs are unsafe? Because, we get a lot of them here. Let alone those VN VP V-whatever Commodore drivers in their crappy driving attitudes. I know crime is everywhere, but it is the whole scenes and feelings of what you see with your own eyes that will tell your own heart if it is safe or not.

I guess some people just chose to go the wrong ways in their life, and the saddest part is, the government is not helping. I know at the end of the day it is still their choice, but by all means, if what they chose is totally wrong and not acceptable, the government should do something. Now don't quote me on this, because I cannot suggest by myself what the government should do because I have not live in Australia long enough to understand the Australian government system, but I am confident that there is something that can be done, besides the stupid idea of increasing property prices in the hope to kick them out of sight.

What is worse, as the media reported (well again :( ), these crime commiters, who were caught were released straight away on bail. That is the disgusting part, I mean, if they know it is that easy to just get away with it, they would go for worse and it is the public that is suffering, because we cannot take the laws into our hand and we rely heavily on the laws and jurisdiction to penalise the offender.

If SA government can put so much effort into developing the infrastructures of the state, I think, it is about time they develop the society's welfare and wellbeing. They are on the way there, but I guess they could do better. I heard they are now training people that are on the dole to guide them into workforce instead of getting free paycheck from the government every fortnight. But the biggest issue is single-mom and parenting payments, they are the one who can get away all the time as long as their child is still young, they still get child-support payment.

My girlfriend is working for centrelink under the family payment and it disgusts her as well as myself to know that these group of people are asking for money and we are paying for them. They get free money and they bagged and shouted and criticised you on why their payments haven't come true, and they dig every single cents they can.

That is simply unacceptable and purely an insult to everyone else.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#63 Post by rev » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:31 pm

Jimmy, nobody chooses to live in poverty.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#64 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:24 pm

rev wrote:Jimmy, nobody chooses to live in poverty.
So what your saying is the 15 year old girl who fell pregnant cos she didnt want to use contraception, and has to quit school to raise a child with the father in poverty did not have a choice in the matter?

And the people who go form nothing to wealthy, did they just fluke it?? or did they choose to invest in knowledge to make themselves wealthy??

People end up living in poverty because of regretful choices they have made in life, usually from young adolescence, cos the parents just did not care, not cos God branded them poor when they were born or something.

If a parent brings a child into a underpriviaged home full of drugs, alchohol or whatever. The parent should be saying, hey ive ruined my life, I want to make sure that my child can succeed!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#65 Post by rev » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Your ignorance is second only to Crawfs.

Sure, everyone would love to be a multi-millionaire like you, not having to worry about money. Everyone would love to have had the great upbringing you have been fortunate to have.
But reality is, you know, the big real world, that not everyone is privileged to have such an upbringing.

I know what your problem is though, its pretty easy to work out from the tone of your posts.
Your problem is your intolerant of the lower class of society, of people who have had it rough from birth, people who have had no other choice but to live in the slums as you call them.
Your probably one of those rich kids, or pretends to be, living off your parents money. Probably had a snobby upbringing too. Hence your complete detachment from the real world.

Tell me something..and before you answer, try and put your prejudices aside..
Those battlers out there, the ones who struggle to make ends meet, who work two, three jobs even, to put food on the table and clothe their kids.
Do they deserve to be priced out of housing in Adelaide?

You seem to think that life is easy. That everyone can become a millionaire with great ease.

Well fill me the f**k in brother, because if its as easy as you seem to think, I and I'm sure everyone else on this forum would absolutely love to know how to increase the balance of our bank accounts.

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

#66 Post by Diamond » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:44 pm

Have I missed something here? Since when did jimmy say that he was 'rich'?

BTW, nice John Lemon avatar!! :D
Vladimir Putin - TIME Magazine's Man Of The Year 2007

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:58 pm

You really are simple minded arnt u rev...lemme point out how simple minded u are...
rev wrote:Your ignorance is second only to Crawfs.

Sure, everyone would love to be a multi-millionaire like you, not having to worry about money. Everyone would love to have had the great upbringing you have been fortunate to have.
But reality is, you know, the big real world, that not everyone is privileged to have such an upbringing.
You have no idea of my financial status mate so keep that out of topic please, you could be richer than me...
rev wrote: I know what your problem is though, its pretty easy to work out from the tone of your posts.
Your problem is your intolerant of the lower class of society, of people who have had it rough from birth, people who have had no other choice but to live in the slums as you call them.
Your probably one of those rich kids, or pretends to be, living off your parents money. Probably had a snobby upbringing too. Hence your complete detachment from the real world.
There is no way I was at all being intelorant of lower class people, only prostitues and druggies and dole bludgers who are lazy. Another point you have gotten wrong.
rev wrote: Tell me something..and before you answer, try and put your prejudices aside..
Those battlers out there, the ones who struggle to make ends meet, who work two, three jobs even, to put food on the table and clothe their kids.
Do they deserve to be priced out of housing in Adelaide?
Again you are wrong in interpreting what I am saying. What I was saying for the 4th time now is that what WILL happen to people when in 10-20 years time
house prices sky rocket?? I never said they deserve to be priced out but its a fact. I am also saying that governments need to step in and educate or else there will alot more homeless people on the streets. Which shows that I have alot more concern about the issue than you have. All you seem to do is to say leave these people alone let them be, I am at least trying to help the issue.
rev wrote: Well fill me the f**k in brother, because if its as easy as you seem to think, I and I'm sure everyone else on this forum would absolutely love to know how to increase the balance of our bank accounts.
This comment is just plain dumb and im not gonna bother with it.

I think we should stop this bickering as some people are really getting angry about the issue, I am merely trying to offer suggestions to help those less fortunate than I am. I am only stating facts here, some seem to be in denial of the future.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#68 Post by Brando » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:46 pm

Cruise Control wrote:
i mean how many newborn babies need 106cm plasma tvs?
Wiggles do look better on the big screen... :wink:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by Will » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:33 pm

No-one is denying that investing in education can improve the life prospects of a person.

The problem is that at the moment, it is very expensive for a low-income earner to go to university or TAFE.

For all of us who have been or are going to uni, we can all understand how expensive text books can be to purchase. A low-income earner will find it very hard if not impossible to buy a book worth $100 or more. In fact one of my text books this year cost me $145. And then there is the prospect of having a $30 000 - $40 000 HECS debt.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#70 Post by Norman » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:37 pm

That's true Will, but that's why we need to invest in skilled workers. They don't need to go to Uni, but they can still work in the mines up north, or for Custom Coaches or the like.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#71 Post by bmw boy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:08 pm

Will wrote:No-one is denying that investing in education can improve the life prospects of a person.

The problem is that at the moment, it is very expensive for a low-income earner to go to university or TAFE.

For all of us who have been or are going to uni, we can all understand how expensive text books can be to purchase. A low-income earner will find it very hard if not impossible to buy a book worth $100 or more. In fact one of my text books this year cost me $145. And then there is the prospect of having a $30 000 - $40 000 HECS debt.
but Will,... now i'm not denying that going through uni and the HECS system is easy, but with the HECS system you don't have to pay back you money untill you're earning it...with compliments from a good job you've earnt from your uni degreee....

s1o if u analyse the long run advantages.... giving up 3/4 years of a low - middle income job and most likely staying that way for the rest of you're life....

against going to uni for that period of time and maybe only earning a low income from part time wk..... then upon completeing your degree moving to earning a middle - high income for the rest of your life

most individuals who don't live alone or or dont have to support a family should be able to do this with effective financial management. But some say its too costly.... but then you see them spending all their money of hotting up sum car and or getting trashed every week....

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#72 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:31 pm

Rev wrote:Your ignorance is second only to Crawfs.
Oh put a sock in it your insecurity out stands me, never realized it until now.

Now I want to voice my opinion about the Baby Bonus while most people are using it wisely and is helping population growth, there are some as we all know who are just spending it all on worthless stuff for a child (like tvs, holidays, drugs etc...) or just having a child for the money. Which In my opinion is a disgrace and pretty sick, though to be honest I don't understand people who have kids just for the "$4000" sure its a nice bit of money but really its not worth it especially that you get a life long commitment aswell, I guess some low income earners see it as a escape from poverty (which doesn't happen) or just a spending spree.

I think at least $2000 of the money should go straight into the childs future account and can not be touched until the age of 18 (unless for education reasons).

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#73 Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:52 am

normangerman wrote:That's true Will, but that's why we need to invest in skilled workers. They don't need to go to Uni, but they can still work in the mines up north, or for Custom Coaches or the like.
Huh what made you say custom coaches?
were you hear about them?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#74 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:31 am

Cruise Control wrote:
normangerman wrote:That's true Will, but that's why we need to invest in skilled workers. They don't need to go to Uni, but they can still work in the mines up north, or for Custom Coaches or the like.
Huh what made you say custom coaches?
were you hear about them?
Just a report I saw on the news, how Custom Coaches are doubleing their workforce because of the new demand for more new buses.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#75 Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:23 am

thats alright norman it just funny that i got home from from work and read that, (because i work for custom coaches).
Im still annoyed i wasnt seen on tv in that report :(

off topic, But now heres an interesting conundrum, Everyone on here gets wet dreams over trams which are built overseas in germany. So what so wrong with using locally made buses?