A little help? Regarding renting an apartment in Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
edstarmd
Sen-Rookie-Sational

A little help? Regarding renting an apartment in Adelaide

#1 Post by edstarmd » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:44 am

Hello.

I am Ed. A medical doctor from the Philippines. I will be working and training in the Royal Adelaide Hospital for at least a year. I will be arriving there on 27 June 2007. I was told by an hospital administrator that they will provide me temporary residence while I look for my own place. So I decided to try to look for one over the net. I would like your opinion about this quote from an agent:

"The apartment has recently been painted and carpeted but yet to be renovated and furnished to the high standard of the other apartments in the complex. Included in the rental is furniture, linen, kitchen facilities, TV etc. Utilities are limited to gas and electricity but please advise if other utilities are essential. Rental would be $245 per week"

Is this an okay deal? On their website the apartment is listed to have the following:

" • New or refurbished to a very high standard and includes split system air conditioning, dishwashers, and quality appliances
• Beautifully furnished and equipped with top quality modern contemporary furnishings
• Free Broadband Internet Access and local telephone calls
• TV, VCR, stereo system, some with DVD
• Fully self contained with all linen, kitchen and laundry facilities
• Weekly service including full cleaning, linen and towel change

Situated in excellent locations in or close to the CBD, universities, main shopping precincts, transport and the premier restaurants of the City and North Adelaide."

Thank you for opinions. I am hoping to enjoy my stay there.
Last edited by edstarmd on Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

Re: A little help?

#2 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:10 am

Where abouts is it?? u lost me with the location....

how old is the place???

there are 2 good sites to goto for real estate info http://www.realestate.com.au
and also http://www.domain.com.au

Another clever tool to give u a snapshot of areas is this site http://www.domain.com.au/public/apm/suburbprofile/

Hope they help you

edstarmd
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: A little help?

#3 Post by edstarmd » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:26 am

More info on the apartment I am being offered. Plus a clarification because I will only be given an older apartment, not everything on the list will be given.

The agent sent me this:

"The one bedroom apartment as described in a earlier email is located in Sussex Street North Adelaide. The price includes water, electricity and gas only. This apartment does not have a DVD or stereo.

Comfortable living for far less cost than any comparable hotel room
•
includes split system air conditioning, and basic appliances
•
Furnished and equipped
•
TV
•
Fully self contained with all linen, kitchen and laundry facilities"

I am offered $245/week. Is it worth it?

urban
Legendary Member!

Re: A little help? Regarding renting an apartment in Adelaide

#4 Post by urban » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:39 am

Good location but I think for the money you could do better. Best bet is to compare with the real estate sites jimmy mentioned.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by stelaras » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:53 am

Personally

The unit is furnished, has a TV and air conditoning/heating as well as linen and laundry facilities at $245 p/w. It's bloody worth taking. The location is great and close to most things.

To give you an example

In 2003 i was paying $185 p/w for a 2 bedroom unit that was not furnished! so you would be paying $60 per week more than me for a 1 bedroom fully furnished appartment. If you calculated how much it would cost you to furnish the appartment, buy linen, kitchen appliances, pots and pans etc etc and then having to sell them if and when you left the country. Paying $60 p/w isn't that much

So i'de say it was a very reasonable price

edstarmd
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#6 Post by edstarmd » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:09 pm

I got this offer for $100/week. These are the details. Do you think its worth getting, considering I am going to work at the Royal Adelaide Hospital? Is it more practical/cost effective?
--------------------------------
"Its a $100 a week (includes electricity and water). I have a fridge and wahing machine that you can use.

I have duted aircon, which is in all the house. There is one TV in the room, there is only one in the lounge room. I dont have the phone connected & no internet

Place is off of Daws road & south road."

urban
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by urban » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:21 pm

If you live off Daws Rd you will need to buy a car and then pay for parking at RAH. If you are happy with apartment living I'd strongly recommend getting an apartment in the East End of Adelaide where you will be close to shops, restaurants, work, transport etc.

In your situation I would go for something like this fully furnished off Hutt St at $215/week http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rs ... 1182397719

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by stelaras » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:58 pm

i agree with Urban

If you lived at Dawes rd you would need a car and car parking which adds to the cost....Definitely inner city is the way to go...Of your getting offers from between $215-$245 p/w. Ide consider them. It is very reasonable indeed.

edstarmd
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#9 Post by edstarmd » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:41 am

Thank you for all your help and advice.

I guess all that is left is for me to check these places out by going there.