Who are you, Howie?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Waz
VIP Member
VIP Member

#16 Post by Waz » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:03 pm

Hey all... some might know me from SSC as Adder-Laid...
Don't believe a word that Howie guy says, he's a fraud - he's a government spy looking to seek information about us...

Just kidding! haha!

Howie's a top bloke, known him for years, have run another website with him for years, and hope this one does as well or better than that! :-)

Top notch work from all I've seen so far!
You hear it here first...

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Howie » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:51 pm

Yeah we go wayyyyyy back don't we Waz :)

Waz and I started another site back in 97... it's just crazy how well that one's going... 4000 members and still growing, it never ceases to amaze me.

ANYHOW GREAT TO SEE YA HERE BUDDY!!!!

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by stumpjumper » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:06 am

Howie

If the nasty letter arrives, I'll line up with pants to give you what help I can. I've got a bit of a history with AME and similar govt depts and may be able to give you a hand.

I should also say, Howie, that I apologise for my uncharitable suspicions on first hearing about this forum. I think you actually deserve an accolade for doing something about the lack of debate on important issues of urban development and design in this all too complacent state.

Stop here if you don't want to read another grumble about the govt from me...

Speaking of threatened legal action, I was doing some work with Wirrina around the time the HMAS Hobart was to be scuttled off that resort.

Noticing that stuff all was being done to promote the event, and because I used to scuba dive and because I am obviously not busy enough with my own work, I registered hmashobart.com and started lobbying SATC (state tourism body) to make something of the event - armed forces golf day at Wirrina, chain of divers down to the sea floor with cameras videoing the sinking ship, school projects based around the Hobart's career, a yachting regatta, and a huge bbq on the shore after the great event. I was told that the event was not the sort of thing that SATC would get involved with, and that risk management would preclude most of what I had proposed anyway. SATC was spooked by the building demolition in Canberra a few years back in which a young girl was killed by flying debris, although the chances of flying debris from the pyrotechnics used in sinking a wreck is absolutely minimal.

Anyway, Wirrina was fairly broke at the time, so with no govt support available I gave the idea away. As it was, the govt finally sank the ship on the second Tuesday in November. I had to laugh - Melbourne Cup Day. The actual sinking was during the race. Result, zilch publicity to launch a potential attraction for the state. There was also a 3km 'exclusion zone' for everyone including media around the sinking, so there wasn't even any good vision of the event.

Similar events (wreck sinkings) in Canada, USA and Western Australia had attracted record numbers of private water craft to watch. Recently, the sinking of the HMAS Brisbane attracted record waterborne crowds and publicity north of Brisbane.

Apart from ensuring that the event got no publicity, SATC complained about me registering hmashobart.com, and informed me that in any case, I could not have got copyright even if they had allowed divers to film the sinking, because AME owned copyright of all vision relating to the sinking, even though there was none.

I'm constantly in awe of the commercial nous of those who spend our taxes.

In spite of the above, I am generally a positive guy. I borrowed some gear last year and dived on the Hobart. A great dive, even if the current is somewhat strong down there. They wouldn't sink it in the more placid gulf because of risk considerations... there I go again - I'll shut up.

petermaloney
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by petermaloney » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:24 am

Howie wrote:Yeah we go wayyyyyy back don't we Waz :)

Waz and I started another site back in 97... it's just crazy how well that one's going... 4000 members and still growing, it never ceases to amaze me.

ANYHOW GREAT TO SEE YA HERE BUDDY!!!!
Try 1996 50,000 members ;)

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by Howie » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:01 am

stumpjumper wrote:Howie

If the nasty letter arrives, I'll line up with pants to give you what help I can. I've got a bit of a history with AME and similar govt depts and may be able to give you a hand.

I should also say, Howie, that I apologise for my uncharitable suspicions on first hearing about this forum. I think you actually deserve an accolade for doing something about the lack of debate on important issues of urban development and design in this all too complacent state.
It's quite alright mate :) Someone's bound to ask questions sooner or later.

As for government bureaucracy.... don't even get me started. But as they say you can't keep everyone happy all the time... so i do sympathize with the people working under such a system. I've found myself in that situation too.
Try 1996 50,000 members
Neat! Who runs that? The only australian site that I know in that ball park is overclockers.com.au, their forum membership is at 65,000 members currently. Throw us a link to your site!