[COM] Thomson Playford Building | 30m | 8lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #U/C : Thomson Playford Building (Gouger St) - 8lvl

#46 Post by Pikey » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:27 pm

The beginning of two cores becomes obvious!

Also, if you look to the top of the image, you can just make out some red meshing poking out of the top of the fence, on the gouger St footpath. Me thinks this is where the crane will go, as it's been excavated and has had reo bar inserted.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by Professor » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:52 am

The crane base for the building is going in today on the edge of the site on Gouger street. Looks like it will be a pretty fast construction schedule, with the lift core already above street level.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by UrbanSG » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:11 pm

Sounds good. Look forward to seeing this crane go up soon.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#49 Post by Hippodamus » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:04 am

it's way too short, and although modern in appearance, not articulated to address the street well, and provide a boundary to Victoria Square.

Conservative building for conservative lawyers.

Zender
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#50 Post by Zender » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:29 am

WOW! 8 LEVELS! *cough cough*

for such a prominent spot around victoria square.... so much opportunity.... i shake my head in disappointment
does look good though

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#51 Post by AtD » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:26 pm

Guys, it's Gouger Street, not Currie Street. Eight levels is a respectable height for the area.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#52 Post by omada » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:44 am

I agree 8 levels is appropriate, any more and it would dominate Gouger Street and damage the market/ chinatown vibe that's going on there.. (which could be enhanced it you ask me, with better streetscaping, larger footpaths etc - but that's another story)

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by Edgar » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:17 pm

true, any bigger or higher would upset the theme in Gourger St.

It looks ok to me, the design is pretty much used in most new building construction around Adelaide lately.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#54 Post by skyliner » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:12 pm

Don't forget the 12 floor Coglin Pl. development will be next door to bulk up the area.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Zender
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#55 Post by Zender » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:15 pm

AtD wrote:Guys, it's Gouger Street, not Currie Street. Eight levels is a respectable height for the area.
Nah sorry i dont agree here. this is a prime location looking over Victoria Square, what should be the heart and most important part of the city (dont get me into how the original plans for adelaide were set out, thats a whole nother can), but anyways, I believe any building over looking Victoria Square should be an absolute statement, and all the other 15ish level buildings at the moment look beautiful around Vic square now. What about Optus building? Is that too high, atleast someone had the balls to try and expand there. Are you gonna say the precinct is also way too much for that end of town??? considering theyre gona be the tallest buildings there by far. Not to mention, come back to gouger st there in 5-10 years and this buildings height will be laughable for this site.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#56 Post by crawf » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:19 pm

You reckon the old SGIC building, Hilton and Wakefield House look beautiful? :shock:

I like this building and I think the height is fine for the area

Zender
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#57 Post by Zender » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:33 pm

crawf wrote:You reckon the old SGIC building, Hilton and Wakefield House look beautiful? :shock:

I like this building and I think the height is fine for the area
No im talking about the buildings of those heights surrounding Vic square. God i know those 3 are fugly, i just think this one should be of similar height to fit in with the rest of the buildings. I think it would look really nice with mid-high rise around the entire square.

p.s. SGIC is undergoing reno :D

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#58 Post by AtD » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:42 am

Zender wrote:Nah sorry i dont agree here. this is a prime location looking over Victoria Square, what should be the heart and most important part of the city (dont get me into how the original plans for adelaide were set out, thats a whole nother can), but anyways, I believe any building over looking Victoria Square should be an absolute statement, and all the other 15ish level buildings at the moment look beautiful around Vic square now. What about Optus building? Is that too high, atleast someone had the balls to try and expand there. Are you gonna say the precinct is also way too much for that end of town??? considering theyre gona be the tallest buildings there by far. Not to mention, come back to gouger st there in 5-10 years and this buildings height will be laughable for this site.
Idealistic design principals are all well and good, but it's the market, not architects, that usually ends up making such decisions. Thus, 8 levels is a respectable height for the area.

Zender
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#59 Post by Zender » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:16 pm

Come on, the market can easily accommodate for more than 8 levels in that area! I believe it would have been the builders and future tenant/s decision (& whatever ACC regulations) to build at 8 levels. I just hate to see such a block be underutilized to its full potential... my :2cents:

urban
Legendary Member!

#60 Post by urban » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:17 pm

Gouger and Rundle St's have prospered because they are intimately scaled. A 4-5 storey limit would be most appropriate for Gouger St.

Pirie St has the biggest proportion of tall buildings in Adelaide. It is also one of the least enjoyable streets in Adelaide. This is not a coincidence.

North Tce, King William St, Wakefield/Grote and Grenfell/Currie can all accommodate tall buildings because of their width and their use as major traffic routes.

Gouger St & Rundle St must retain their intimately scaled setting.