[COM] Flinders Link | 54/42m | 15/9lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#76 Post by Pikey » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:13 pm

Renders for both towers are on site now, Santos definately looking most Funk-ayy.

I couldn't be tittyfarked taking pics of 'em. When Pantaloons get's back to work, I'm sure he'll take some when he strolls past. :wink:
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#77 Post by Pants » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:29 pm

Took some a few days ago, but I'm still "can't be arsed, it's Christmas" mode, so I haven't put them up yet. Will do soon.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#78 Post by Pants » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Here ya go kids:

IAG:

Santos:

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#79 Post by Pants » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:54 pm

Hassell designed both buildings. Obviously they had different budgets, but why the f@#& couldn't they give the IAG building a better entrance?

It is one of the most uninviting square boxes I've seen. Where do you enter from? What distinguishes the entrance?

The first renders were infinently better, as is the Santos building.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#80 Post by Algernon » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:57 pm

Awesome shirt!

My thingy has a pretty low contrast monitor, so is that colour thingies I see littered around the facade of the Santos building? Or is it something coming through from the other side of the paper, or am I just suffering from Christmas-itis?

I've hated the IAG (SGIC?) building all this time, but the Santos building could do a lot to cover up the big fat bulkiness that I hate about it, in which case..... might not turn out so bad after all :shock:

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#81 Post by Pants » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:01 pm

There's a bit of colour there mate. Which is nice.

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#82 Post by Adelarch » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:16 pm

thanks for the renders pants

I must say I'm a bit disappointed by the latest Santos render. I thought the first render we saw was v cool with those horizontal glass projections coming off the facade (for want of a better description) but to me this design seems to have been dumbed down a lot... but gotta look on the bright side, its still damn nice tower and should do the skyline proud. *edit* I guess the other thing is that a lot of that fancy glasswork would be hidden by the IAG building anyway so arguably it would be a waste of effort... *end edit*

Having said this maybe these renders are already out of date - the banding which seems to be going on the IAG building (now SGIC?) doesnt show up in this render for whatever reason??

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#83 Post by UrbanSG » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:51 am

Adelaide City Council did not want the glass overhangs on Santos due to public space issues etc so that's why they have been taken out apart from a compromise one at the front of the building. What is with the verticle line features on the first 4 floors above ground level? Not sure I like that addition either. Have to wait until it's up I suppose. To me though it looks ugly and dates the building. I preferred basic glass all the way to the bottom. The building is definately 13 floors too not the 15 some were suggesting.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#84 Post by Algernon » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:28 pm

I really like the vertical line features. It appears to be a small attempt at balancing the street frontage with the neighbouring building, and does it quite effectively IMO. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see it in person.

As for IAG, let's hope the "build highly reflective facade, hope something spectacular is built across the street" approach works :)

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#85 Post by Pikey » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:10 pm

UrbanSG wrote: The building is definately 13 floors too not the 15 some were suggesting.
I think you'll find it's 13 floors of the larger floorplate, with another two smaller floors set further back - as per the top 2 floor setback on Admiral House.
I've seen at least 4 DAs on the ACC site which indicate the tower is 15 levels. If they have counted the ground floor as one - who knows.

Meh, who cares.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#86 Post by Thunderstruck » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:32 pm

I still think the Santos render looks pretty sexy. Love the dark colour, I have a think for dark blue/black glass and looks swish enough.

IAG a bit less inspiring and totally agree re entrance. As if building is just sitting there with no invite saying "Look at me come inside".
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#87 Post by Ben » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:15 pm

Does anyone know what will happen to the "Santos" building once they have moved into their new one or who has naming rights?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#88 Post by Howie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:03 pm

There was an article late last year stating that the naming rights are up for grabs on the old santos - it will go to the main tenants... ideally it should go to a company which has a need for such exposure (such as holden, microsoft).

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#89 Post by Will » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:41 am

Thanks Pants for the images!

Although it is rather bland, the fact that the IAG building is fully enclosed in glass will ensure it adds a modern touch to the Adelaide skyline which currently has an over-supply of concrete.

I really like the Santos tower, it has a nice design; however I am annoyed why the initial renders of a tower always look better than the finished project.

shibby
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM]

#90 Post by shibby » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:14 pm

i love the new glass office buildings popping up everywhere. although i would hope you dont see into the windows as much as the renders show.