[COM] Urbanest | 59/53m | 20/18lvls | Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
spiller
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: UC: Urbanest 140 North Tce | 59&53m | 20&18lvl | Apts

#406 Post by spiller » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:49 pm

and who said those windows looked too small? the cladding and mini window shades have transformed the facade. doesnt look world class but it blends nicely now!

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#407 Post by Prince George » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:57 pm

spiller wrote:and who said those windows looked too small? the cladding and mini window shades have transformed the facade. doesnt look world class but it blends nicely now!
You reckon? If the renders can be trusted, after a coat of paint on the concrete (which it seems will be grey) What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get. As much as I've liked watching this get built, I starting to think it looks terrible, especially the blue cladding whose colour seems to have come out of some office furniture. I know a lot of people on the site will disagree with me, but I prefer Spark.

Do we have some sort of allergy to colour? We have a growing assortment of really bland tones - this, Gallery, Altitude, iPad, even Conservatory, Aurora, or SA Water. So many variations on grey - please, someone, give us some strong colours!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#408 Post by Ben » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Prince George wrote:
spiller wrote:and who said those windows looked too small? the cladding and mini window shades have transformed the facade. doesnt look world class but it blends nicely now!
You reckon? If the renders can be trusted, after a coat of paint on the concrete (which it seems will be grey) What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get. As much as I've liked watching this get built, I starting to think it looks terrible, especially the blue cladding whose colour seems to have come out of some office furniture. I know a lot of people on the site will disagree with me, but I prefer Spark.

Do we have some sort of allergy to colour? We have a growing assortment of really bland tones - this, Gallery, Altitude, iPad, even Conservatory, Aurora, or SA Water. So many variations on grey - please, someone, give us some strong colours!
i think you'll find that it's because "coloured" buildings tend to age whereas neutral buildings don't stick out too much.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#409 Post by skyliner » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:21 pm

Exactly - strong colours weather and fade quickly leaving the bldg lokking rather tired. I think of the new bldg on HSQ on the corner of Grenfell st. - has a matt black wall facing west I believe.

Secondly, thanks Xara for the great photo update. High rise bldg density opposite the rly stn is looking quite impressive now.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#410 Post by Isiskii » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:02 pm

I agree with Prince George's comments; this makes Spark look good.

Omicron

#411 Post by Omicron » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:13 am

Prince George wrote:

A side note - Aurora looks much better in person. I was beside it today (albeit in the forgiving light of dusk), and it wasn't at all bad.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#412 Post by Pants » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:15 am

I would seriously prefer a park to this. 'Cheap' and 'nasty' are being kind. The fact that it's so prominent in the most common postcard shot of the CBD makes me hate it even more.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#413 Post by SRW » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:12 am

The blue panelling does give it that sort of transportable home feel, but I have to say, that on its bones I don't much mind it. The lines are clean and symmetrical. Some more adventurous colour indeed would've been great, but I'd await the paint job for final judgement.
Keep Adelaide Weird

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#414 Post by spiller » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:35 pm

Prince George wrote:

perhaps its not the ultimate outcome, but i think i can speak for many in saying it's looking better IRL now than what we thought during some of the earlier stages of the construction phase. It's not an achitectural cherrub, however it is budget student accomodation afterall.

This building btw has a large impact on the skyline from the west too (have recently moved from prospect to torrensville), it has prominence from both my old CBD approach and my new, i'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Xaragmata

#415 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:09 pm

SRW wrote:The blue panelling does give it that sort of transportable home feel, but I have to say, that on its bones I don't much mind it. The lines are clean and symmetrical. Some more adventurous colour indeed would've been great, but I'd await the paint job for final judgement.
You won't have long to wait. Part of the North Tce facade has been painted in similar shade to Polites & Roma Mitchell buildings either side.
Looks much better. (Was after sunset when I saw it tonight, so may look different in daylight)

Xaragmata

#416 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:54 pm

From Thursday - not sure about the cladding, but the paint job is giving it quite a good look without clashing with the adjacent buildings:

http://xaragmata.cable.nu/album/adelaid ... _0838.html

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#417 Post by Wayno » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:45 pm

The render for this building included 'architectural shades' on those tiny front wall windows - wonder if they are yet to be installed, or dropped from the spec?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#418 Post by monotonehell » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:29 pm

Wayno wrote:The render for this building included 'architectural shades' on those tiny front wall windows - wonder if they are yet to be installed, or dropped from the spec?
Only the North Tce facing ones were to have a little horizontal sun shade over them. The Bank Street side is pretty much to spec now. So what you see is almost what you will get.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ghs

#419 Post by ghs » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:39 pm

I know this building has copped some criticism (especially on the skyscrapercity site) but I think
it will be really good once the painting is done. Might end up looking similar to conservatory.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#420 Post by ricecrackers » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:07 pm

yikes :shock:
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey