[COM] City Central 8 | 72m | 20lvls | office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Mants
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #APP: Tower 8 | 72m | 19lvls | Office [City Central]

#331 Post by Mants » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:36 pm

could they possibly relocate their west terrace office?

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#332 Post by Prince George » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:31 pm

This is next to the GPO building isn't it? Have I missed hearing about something happening to that building?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#333 Post by Will » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:10 pm

Prince George wrote:This is next to the GPO building isn't it? Have I missed hearing about something happening to that building?
As part of the City Central development, the GPO will supposedly be converted into a high-end boutique shopping complex.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#334 Post by Professor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:10 am

This site is used as a car-park but that appears to be changing. There has been another car park developed on the land east of the tower 8. Anyone know if the building may be moving towards construction?

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#335 Post by omada » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:32 am

This site is used as a car-park but that appears to be changing. There has been another car park developed on the land east of the tower 8. Anyone know if the building may be moving towards construction?
Maybe paving the carpark :)

That is all we can expect in these dark days

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#336 Post by UrbanSG » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:54 am

I haven't had a chance to check it properly but I think they have also been moving underground services in the area to align with the proposed building boundary.

I also heard that a fair bit of work is involved in removing that small old electrcity sub-station on the site, that may be what this is all about.

Hopefully it is a sign this one may progress soon, although as omado says who knows in these dark days.

Of all the proposed projects, most of which won't go ahead, I would have thought this one is more likely to proceed.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#337 Post by Ben » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:36 pm

Tower 8 is about to get closer to construction with conditional support given for the replacement of the existing ETSA substation building on the CC8 site. They require this approved ASAP due to leasing requirements. Sounds like they have a tenent and want to start asap (see below).

This will eventually form part of City Central Tower 7.
6. It is necessary to seek approval of the sub-station in order to allow leases and
land swap arrangements between ETSA and Aspen Developments (the land
owner) to be finalised prior to the demolition of the existing building and substation
of the Tower 8 site.

7.Whilst this Development Application seeks the approval of the sub-station, it is
the developer’s intention that the sub-station be incorporated within the
building proposed on the subject site which will be known as Tower 7. The
developer has advised that the sub-station can be constructed as a stand
alone building which can easily be adapted so that a building can be built
around the sub-station leaving on the western wall visible. It is the developer’s
intention that the sub-station be constructed at the same time as the future
building, however, due to lease requirements Development Approval is
required as soon as possible

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#338 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:50 pm

This sounds very promising. Will be interesting to see who the main tenants are eg Origin, State Goverment (possibly Police) etc etc.

We have had no major leasing deals for ages so this would be great news for Adelaide especially considering the current economic climate. Franklin Street desperately needs some new development ASAP.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#339 Post by UrbanSG » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:12 am

I have read more of the DAP meeting documentation regarding this one and an email from the developer states the temporary sub station (that will be on-site until around 2012) is to be located at the corner of Post Office Place and Franklin Street and work on this temporary structure is expected to occur within 8 weeks. Sounds like they are indeed moving along with this project.

However it sounds like tower 4 and 7 (adjacent the GPO, no specific details) are a fair while off as you would expect.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#340 Post by UrbanSG » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:04 pm

From the ACC:
Application Number: DA/66/2008/A
Lodgement Date: 4/03/2009
Description: Vary previous authorisation to demolish existing structures on the land (excluding the Darling Building) and construct a 20 level office building(with plant room on 20th level) with ground floor retail tenancy space and Australia Post sorting facility - VARIATION - Reduce height of building by removing levels 8 & 9.
There have been a lot of variations to this building. However I would say this one is a further sign of a tenant being almost secured and the removal of some of the unleased floors due to the economic climate in order to gain financing.

Shame we have to loose height and I know we all want more but an 18 level building is still decent in this area if it goes ahead.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #APP: Tower 8 | 72m | 18lvls | Office [City Central]

#341 Post by UrbanSG » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:37 pm

The application to reduce the height of this building by two floors (to 18 levels) was granted Planning Consent on the 18th March which was a quick decision. The changes were obviously minor (reducing floors not increasing) but seems like Aspen got a speedy decision.

I would love to know if they have or are close to securing tenants for this tower. We really need some construction activity down Franklin Street (they seem to be putting the power lines underground finally which is slowly helping to improve the street, along way to go yet though, it is such a dump of a street considering its prime location).

This could well be the last decent sized office building to go ahead for a while if it secures a tenant.
Type Application: Assessed on Merit
Application Number: DA/66/2008/B
Lodgement Date: 4/03/2009
Latest Decision: Planning Consent Granted
Description: Vary previous authorisation to demolish existing structures on the land (excluding the Darling Building) and construct a 20 level office building(with plant room on 20th level) with ground floor retail tenancy space and Australia Post sorting facility - VARIATION - Reduce height of building by removing levels 8 & 9.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#342 Post by Will » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:37 pm

I would assume that the building is no longer 72m. It is probably 65m now?

urban
Legendary Member!

#343 Post by urban » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:25 am

This building and 42 Franklin St are vying for Origin as their major tenant. Whichever building wins will proceed in current form or higher. The other will be put on hold or drastically reduced in scale.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#344 Post by Shuz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:39 am

I personally hope it goes to Tower 8. We can't afford any more downscaling to the CC precinct as it is. Every stage thus far in some way or another has been downscaled, and I'd like to see at least one go ahead as originally intended or upscaled!

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#345 Post by UrbanSG » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:05 pm

I hope Tower 8 gets the Origin deal. I would love to see both go ahead and drastically improve Franklin Street but Tower 8 is closer to Victoria Square and I would rather see this site developed first.

By the way Shuz CC1 was actually 'upscaled' from 17 to 21 levels thanks to the SA Government taking up space before construction. Tower 8 has also been 'upscaled' from an early lower (12 level?) tower for this site as well.