[COM] Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: #U/C: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1486 Post by Nort » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:17 pm

Honey of a City wrote:Agree with you Paulns. There seems to be some mystery about the progress of the stages too, and rationale for the current shade houses. Does anyone know if and where the definitive and current stage plan is available to the public? The ACC's Victoria Square website is out of date. As you say the completed Stage 1 doesn't match the published Stage 1 render.
The council has pretty much publicly said they don't have the funds to do it alone, but did the first stage to get the ball rolling. Seems thar Progress now will entirely depend on if/when government funding becomes available.

Faulkick
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1487 Post by Faulkick » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:04 pm

I work on Franklin street, so have seen this coming along as it goes. It's looking much better than it used to, however is pretty plain unless something is going on in it.

Having said that, I went to the Royal Croquet Club last night after work with friends and it was awesome, perfect spot for that type of thing and just wish we had something like that all year round as going to the same old pubs after work on Friday gets a bit tedious.

I'm guessing it is sort of similar to the Rundle Mall changes. By itself it isn't much, but when there is something going on with it then it looks really good.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#1488 Post by HeapsGood » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:44 pm

loving the Royal Croquet Club at the vic square too :) went there last night. Even shook hands with a slightly inebriated Jay Weatherill lol
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Matt
Legendary Member!

#1489 Post by Matt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:44 pm

From what I can gather, there won't actually be much of the year where something isn't going on... So far we've had TDU there and now Fringe... I think Feast and one of the other festivals later in the year are setting up camp there too.

Either way, even when empty it is a hell of a lot more attractive than what was there before. Really pleased with it and can't wait to see it in person next month - I think Royal Croquet Club finishes just before I get there, which is a shame.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#1490 Post by JamesXander » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:38 am

Apparently the crocket club have paid only $15,000 rent for the square (1 month). When you consider they brought in $110,000 on the 1st Saturday I think the council has under charged these guys.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1491 Post by Brando » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:41 pm

JamesXander wrote:Apparently the crocket club have paid only $15,000 rent for the square (1 month). When you consider they brought in $110,000 on the 1st Saturday I think the council has under charged these guys.

Where did you get the figure of $110k from?

Waewick

#1492 Post by Waewick » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:00 pm

JamesXander wrote:Apparently the crocket club have paid only $15,000 rent for the square (1 month). When you consider they brought in $110,000 on the 1st Saturday I think the council has under charged these guys.
Needed to prove it up. They can now point there finger as an example.

Patrick_27

#1493 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:12 pm

Love the master-plan, but would prefer to see them move straight into a minor upgrade of the southern half of the square and shelve the master-plan than spend years debating whether they should spend more money on finishing what they started.

All the southern half needs is some new footpaths, new trees and potentially some cafe's to fill in the open space a little.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1494 Post by monotonehell » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:57 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Love the master-plan, but would prefer to see them move straight into a minor upgrade of the southern half of the square and shelve the master-plan than spend years debating whether they should spend more money on finishing what they started.

All the southern half needs is some new footpaths, new trees and potentially some cafe's to fill in the open space a little.
That's pretty much the plan. Install 3 rivers fountain, basic landscaping, install a serviced plot for guest food trucks.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

stronic
High Rise Poster!

#1495 Post by stronic » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:19 pm

Does anyone remember when Victoria Square was full of Silver Birch trees in the 80s? I much preferred them, why they ever replaced them is beyond me.

Postcard of Glenelg Tram 363, Victoria Square by baytram366, on Flickr

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1496 Post by pushbutton » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:06 pm

Ben wrote:Why are so many parts of this project "temporary" to be replaced at later stages. Seems both a waste of time and money. Do it properly the first time!
Especially when you've spent well over 20 years planning and re-planning it. Not to mention the money that's been wasted on all those plans, studies, surveys, debates etc over the last couple of decades.

If a small faction of that time and money had been spent efficiently we would have had something far more impressive a long time ago.

Nathan

#1497 Post by Nathan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:26 pm

Just got back from the city, and it's days like today that really prove the worth of the Victoria Square upgrade.

With the first day of Tasting Australia kicking off and Fork in the Road, Victoria Square was absolutely packed. Tasting Australia took up the entire north half of the square, with the stalls set up on the perimeter of the grassed area and a few along the higher edge, leaving gathering and seating areas in the middle of the grass and along the benches. It worked great. Fork took up the centre road (closed to traffic), and pretty much every single truck/stall had a half hour line up. I've seen busy Forks, but none where every single truck had lines like that (the quickest line, was the beer line!).

It also ties in with the promises of Adelaide Oval. Looked like there was a decent crowd of people that were stopping by before heading to the game. (Likewise at the Market on Holland St),

Waewick

#1498 Post by Waewick » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:44 pm

I agree, it was great.

Just not enough shade.

david.c-s
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1499 Post by david.c-s » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:43 pm

Nathan wrote:Just got back from the city, and it's days like today that really prove the worth of the Victoria Square upgrade.

With the first day of Tasting Australia kicking off and Fork in the Road, Victoria Square was absolutely packed. Tasting Australia took up the entire north half of the square, with the stalls set up on the perimeter of the grassed area and a few along the higher edge, leaving gathering and seating areas in the middle of the grass and along the benches. It worked great. Fork took up the centre road (closed to traffic), and pretty much every single truck/stall had a half hour line up. I've seen busy Forks, but none where every single truck had lines like that (the quickest line, was the beer line!).

It also ties in with the promises of Adelaide Oval. Looked like there was a decent crowd of people that were stopping by before heading to the game. (Likewise at the Market on Holland St),
We were there as well was a great day and was absolutely packed, a little more shad would have been great .... Then we wandered down to the footbridge to the oval and joined the other 47,000 people at the game. it is days like today where you see the benefits of what has been done. The city has a real buzz about it
Using Tapatalk

obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

#1500 Post by obituary resider » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:46 am

gum trees anyone ;)