[COM] Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Matt
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: APP: Victoria Square Upgrade | $24m

#1081 Post by Matt » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Is this a pisstake?

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#1082 Post by Phantom » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:54 pm

I hijacked this pic from the Adelaide City Council's page about the redevelopment. This is what the first stage of redevelopments are going to look like. It makes me wonder if this development is actually going to provide more space to the already exceptionally cramped square during the Tour Down Under, when it becomes the base for the Tour? Already it uses pretty much every bit of land in the southern half of the square. Surely they would have to just turn the whole square into the Tour's HQ in order to make up for the large amount of space that will be lost creating the larger paving throughout the middle of the square?

Also, has someone noticed that the ACC's website refers to the land as "Tarntanyangga", but all the signs around Adelaide call it "Tarndanyangga"?
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

ouchjars
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1083 Post by ouchjars » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:25 pm

Phantom wrote:Also, has someone noticed that the ACC's website refers to the land as "Tarntanyangga", but all the signs around Adelaide call it "Tarndanyangga"?
The spelling system for the Kaurna language was revised in 2010.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1084 Post by Wayno » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:42 pm

The lemon scented trees look like being scrapped, with Plane trees to be used instead.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6600796468
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1085 Post by Ben » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Good Choice IMO :banana:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1086 Post by monotonehell » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:39 pm

Funny how Lemon Scented Gums are blamed for dropping limbs more than other species and Plane Trees are blamed for giving people hayfever more than any other species; when neither of those commonly held pieces of information are correct.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1087 Post by Vee » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Phantom wrote:I hijacked this pic from the Adelaide City Council's page about the redevelopment. This is what the first stage of redevelopments are going to look like. It makes me wonder if this development is actually going to provide more space to the already exceptionally cramped square during the Tour Down Under, when it becomes the base for the Tour? Already it uses pretty much every bit of land in the southern half of the square. Surely they would have to just turn the whole square into the Tour's HQ in order to make up for the large amount of space that will be lost creating the larger paving throughout the middle of the square?
There are two potential locations for the Queen Victoria statue in the redeveloped square.

Check Options A and B.
The ACC is seeking feedback on your preferred option.
http://yoursay.adelaidecitycouncil.com/ ... relocation

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1088 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:58 pm

Very happy with the decision to plant plane trees instead of the lemon scented gums. :)
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

claybro

#1089 Post by claybro » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:01 pm

monotonehell wrote:Funny how Lemon Scented Gums are blamed for dropping limbs more than other species and Plane Trees are blamed for giving people hayfever more than any other species; when neither of those commonly held pieces of information are correct.
Re the Lemon Scented gums, in our climate they are well known for shedding limbs, as they are not native to our climate. It is also not just a matter of keeping them watered as they react to atmospheric conditions, and shed as a natural defence to percieved drought as they ideally enjoy higher humidity than exists in Adelaide.They are beutiful trees in a large open environment, but nutoriously messy. Speak to your local council if you are in any doubt as to the problems these trees have caused in metropolitan Adelaide since they became fashionable in the 1970s. Someone in the know has thankfully advised the ACC accordingly.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1090 Post by SRW » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:38 pm

To clarify for those who didn't read the article, gums will still be planted around the periphery of the square; the planes are now proposed to line the inside promenades adjacent the event lawn. I feel this is sensible for the reason that concluded the article -- to provide design contrast and visual linkage to King William plane plantings -- not because of the hullabaloo about dropping limbs. As the article also states, the perceived risk is only anecdotal, and in any event:
risk would be minimised by planting healthy, structurally sound nursery stock, planting trees close together to reduce the size of their canopies and the weight of spreading branches, watering them in summer and expert pruning.
Keep Adelaide Weird

claybro

#1091 Post by claybro » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:49 pm

SRW wrote:To clarify for those who didn't read the article, gums will still be planted around the periphery of the square; the planes are now proposed to line the inside promenades adjacent the event lawn. I feel this is sensible for the reason that concluded the article -- to provide design contrast and visual linkage to King William plane plantings -- not because of the hullabaloo about dropping limbs. As the article also states, the perceived risk is only anecdotal, and in any event:
risk would be minimised by planting healthy, structurally sound nursery stock, planting trees close together to reduce the size of their canopies and the weight of spreading branches, watering them in summer and expert pruning.
Have read this article carefully as I was most suprised and pleased at the rapid change of mind by the council. If you believe that the council is changing to plane trees on the event lawn to provide "a contrast and visual link the the King William plane plantings" more power to you. And the rubbish about watering and expert pruning...well we can only hope. This is only about risk minimising and saving face, but well done to the ACC i say. :applause:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1092 Post by Wayno » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:53 pm

Vee wrote:There are two potential locations for the Queen Victoria statue in the redeveloped square.

Check Options A and B.
The ACC is seeking feedback on your preferred option.
http://yoursay.adelaidecitycouncil.com/ ... relocation
Thanks Vee. Interesting how such matters really bug some folk (monarchists?). Not trivialising such considerations, everyone has their pet likes & dislikes. Interesting how the ACC often has to walk a fine line.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1093 Post by SRW » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:41 pm

claybro wrote:
SRW wrote:To clarify for those who didn't read the article, gums will still be planted around the periphery of the square; the planes are now proposed to line the inside promenades adjacent the event lawn. I feel this is sensible for the reason that concluded the article -- to provide design contrast and visual linkage to King William plane plantings -- not because of the hullabaloo about dropping limbs. As the article also states, the perceived risk is only anecdotal, and in any event:
Have read this article carefully as I was most suprised and pleased at the rapid change of mind by the council. If you believe that the council is changing to plane trees on the event lawn to provide "a contrast and visual link the the King William plane plantings" more power to you. And the rubbish about watering and expert pruning...well we can only hope. This is only about risk minimising and saving face, but well done to the ACC i say. :applause:
I didn't say that the reason the ACC has changed the tree species was because of design or context, only that I thought the decision was justifiable on those grounds. If anything, the change came about in order to manage public relations. Either way, it's win-win.
Keep Adelaide Weird

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1094 Post by monotonehell » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:58 pm

claybro wrote:
monotonehell wrote:Funny how Lemon Scented Gums are blamed for dropping limbs more than other species and Plane Trees are blamed for giving people hayfever more than any other species; when neither of those commonly held pieces of information are correct.
Re the Lemon Scented gums, in our climate they are well known for shedding limbs, as they are not native to our climate. It is also not just a matter of keeping them watered as they react to atmospheric conditions, and shed as a natural defence to percieved drought as they ideally enjoy higher humidity than exists in Adelaide.They are beutiful trees in a large open environment, but nutoriously messy. Speak to your local council if you are in any doubt as to the problems these trees have caused in metropolitan Adelaide since they became fashionable in the 1970s. Someone in the know has thankfully advised the ACC accordingly.
So you read my post, quoted my post and went right on and restated the "well known fact". I suggest you re-read my post. And then another time. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

claybro

#1095 Post by claybro » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:16 pm

And as I suggested, if you are in doubt re the lemon scented gum, and their suitability for planting in close urban enivironments, contact your local council and ask their opinion, these trees have caused huge issues in the suburbs, but I guess that is just anecdotal evidence...