[COM] Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
claybro
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1361
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 108 times

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1111 Post by claybro » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Welcome mackonamy, clearly I share your sentiments the the lemon scented gums, and also like the plane and chinese elms, but in the interest of some variety, I do beleive we still need some plantings of eucalyts, in a way that is sympathetic with the surroundings. We should be well happy with this compromise, and lets hope it now spreads to the parklands where exotic trees are being removed en masse to be replaced with forrests of messy scrub, despite there never being more water available. However, time to move on from the tree debate when it comes to vic SQ. A good outcome was had. :banana:

mackonamy
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:33 pm

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1112 Post by mackonamy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:55 pm

That's fair enough, but I think the variety shouldn't be so poorly clumped together. For example, evergreens and gums in one park, then another park with deciduous. Isn't that the decision now for Vic Square - just the 100 plane trees?

mattblack
Legendary Member!
Posts: 847
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:20 am
Been thanked: 5 times

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1113 Post by mattblack » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:41 am

The Plane trees will be for the central area and there will still be lemon sented gums on the peripheral of the square once the road re-alignment has taken place. They're just trees, can we pleeeze move on!

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 1842
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:55 am
Been thanked: 4 times

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1114 Post by UrbanSG » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:50 am


User avatar
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2061
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:26 pm
Has thanked: 335 times
Been thanked: 123 times

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1115 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:29 am

mattblack wrote:The Plane trees will be for the central area and there will still be lemon sented gums on the peripheral of the square once the road re-alignment has taken place. They're just trees, can we pleeeze move on!
Not anymore. Council have now voted to get rid of the lemon scented gums entirely, and plant only plane trees.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

User avatar
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2326
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:16 pm
Location: fassifern (near Brisbane)
Been thanked: 6 times

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1116 Post by skyliner » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:48 pm

While I like lemon scented gums, there is a safety issue - they have a habit of dropping limbs - unannounced - no noise etc etc.In this way they are like the 'widow makers' along the Murray. They leave huge and prolonged messes when shedding bark also. I prefer the plane trees.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

User avatar
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5137
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:18 pm
Location: Torrens Park
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 129 times

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1117 Post by Wayno » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:09 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Not anymore. Council have now voted to get rid of the lemon scented gums entirely, and plant only plane trees.
the Ragvertiser is having a field day with this topic. Latest news is the ACC being slammed for proposing plane trees. sigh. I propose VSQ be filled with stobie poles & wires.
A TREE expert has taken aim at City councillors for their "ignorant" decision to plant plane trees in Victoria Square.

A council committee this week decided to plant 100 plane trees as part of the square's makeover instead of lemon scented gums, following complaints about the risk of gums dropping limbs.

Street tree research organisation TreeNet director David Lawry said concentrated plantings of plane trees led to "huge problems with allergies" from the pollen and fine hairs they dropped.

"Plane trees have a persistent impact on human health," he said, adding allergy problems were rife in European cities such as Paris, where plane trees comprised close to 40 per cent of all street plantings.
more...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

User avatar
Maximus
Legendary Member!
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:05 pm
Location: The Bush Capital (Canberra)
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1118 Post by Maximus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:30 pm

Wayno wrote:
Street tree research organisation TreeNet director David Lawry said concentrated plantings of plane trees led to "huge problems with allergies" from the pollen and fine hairs they dropped.
Just as I predicted on the previous page! :wink:
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

mackonamy
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:33 pm

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1119 Post by mackonamy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:19 pm

"Huge problem with allergies"? :lol: :roll: I doubt it, sounds like a massive exaggeration / overstatement to me. I think people who complain about allergies are being damn fussy. Plane trees are everywhere in Australia and they do not cause significant problems to most people I know. Wear a mask if it's such an issue to you, like they do in Japan (albeit for different reasons).

And they are not just trees. Trees enhance the aesthetic appearance of public developments if they are planted right (and the right type of tree is selected). I think gums belong in the bush, where they can't cause anybody problems. Stick with the plane tree, and suck up your allergy problems, IMO. Tough luck.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2974
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 60 times

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1120 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:35 pm

hang on so the allergies are overstated but falling limbs aren't?

seems like an overreaction all round.

User avatar
Matt
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:36 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 34 times

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1121 Post by Matt » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:59 pm

They could run through the list of every available specie of tree, and The Advertiser would still manage to find someone who was offended or outraged in some way.

User avatar
Matt
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:36 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 34 times

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1122 Post by Matt » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:01 pm

...that first photo made me GRIN.
Brilliant to finally see signs of action.

mackonamy
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:33 pm

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1123 Post by mackonamy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Waewick wrote:hang on so the allergies are overstated but falling limbs aren't?

seems like an overreaction all round.
Mate, allergies aren't a big deal. Take an antihistamine. Plane trees all the way, they will cause the least amount of problems and they are the nicest.

mattblack
Legendary Member!
Posts: 847
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:20 am
Been thanked: 5 times

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1124 Post by mattblack » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:24 am

[Shuz] wrote:
mattblack wrote:The Plane trees will be for the central area and there will still be lemon sented gums on the peripheral of the square once the road re-alignment has taken place. They're just trees, can we pleeeze move on!
Not anymore. Council have now voted to get rid of the lemon scented gums entirely, and plant only plane trees.
I'm in pretty regular contact with the project team (far more than you im guessing) and that is the current state of play. Even though this project has been through an extensive 18 month planning project and public consultation there are still changes being made by the request of Councillors and DPTI so yes, the tree situation might continue to change. As I said, can we move on from this inane debate?

ml69
Legendary Member!
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 pm
Location: Adelaide SA
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 15 times

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1125 Post by ml69 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:44 pm

mattblack wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
mattblack wrote:The Plane trees will be for the central area and there will still be lemon sented gums on the peripheral of the square once the road re-alignment has taken place. They're just trees, can we pleeeze move on!
Not anymore. Council have now voted to get rid of the lemon scented gums entirely, and plant only plane trees.
I'm in pretty regular contact with the project team (far more than you im guessing) and that is the current state of play. Even though this project has been through an extensive 18 month planning project and public consultation there are still changes being made by the request of Councillors and DPTI so yes, the tree situation might continue to change. As I said, can we move on from this inane debate?
Mattblack, a question for you given that you are in regular contact with the project team ...

Stage 1 plans now include plane trees lining each side of the event lawn, but the curved arbours flanking the event lawn are also planned in a future stage of the Vic Sq redevelopment. Do you know if this is still the plan? Hence the arbours will overlook the trees, overlooking the event lawn.

Previous earlier renders show the arbours directly overlooking the event lawn, with no trees in between .... so this appears to be a design change?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests