[COM] [The Precinct] Central Bus Station

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #UC: The Precinct - 5 19 lvl - 62m towers

#136 Post by Brando » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:22 pm

UrbanSG wrote:Sounds great pikey. Regarding a few previous posts how about we try to be a bit decent. Paying out homeless people is low, this initiative is great. Or should they sleep in the western parklands and freeze to death when it gets down to 2 degrees in winter? Come on show some respect :roll:
Spot on mate. How can they rebuild their lives if we don't give them the opportunity to turn things around in life. I'm sure they will appreciate what they have more than what anyone here could.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#137 Post by UrbanSG » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:45 pm

Yeah unfortunately the 'fair go' has well and truely gone in this country. Conservative governments both here and overseas have seen people become obsessed with money and terrorism. Those who do not have money are considered 'scum' and who cares about them?

We are far too americanised these days, money, money and geeze how about more money. Quality of life? Nup that's been squashed to go an earn more money. Free speach? Well thanks to Bush and Howard that has been severely reduced. Sure we have free speech compared to some countries but not true 'free' speech. That has all changed in the last few years.

Anyway this has gone way off topic and too political, sorry, but some of the previous comments were rediculous and narrow-minded. The point is this is a positive project and I didn't orgininally realise those apartments were for homeless people. The fact they are is excellent, it is a fantasic idea, even being above the bus station.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#138 Post by Hippodamus » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:28 pm

great project. good social mix of people and an important rejuvenation of this part of the city. an earlier comment highlighted that people living within the development will make good use of the central markets, china town, and surrounding amenities and facilities... very good point and so true.

however, i'm just worried about what definition of 'homeless' this project will be targetting... like another post mentioned, is it just going to be for those people on the short list of housing trust, or will it be offerring opportunities for those unfortunate souls who we see sleeping on park benches and under trees in Whitmore Square...??

apart from that, a fantastic idea in theory and hopefully it will be in practice. it's great to see that we are focussing of social and community aspects in developmetn proposals rather than just gaining the highest economic return.

onya adelaide!!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#139 Post by crawf » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:41 am

A few problems with the yet to open Bus Station, though it looks like we have nothing to worry about as it will be fixed before the major operators move in. Had a look at the new station, looks very modern and not bad though it will look much better after more furniture and signage, tv screens is installed.
Flak flies over city's bus station
MICHAEL OWEN
November 28, 2007 01:15am
PROBLEMS with the facilities and design of Adelaide's new $26 million Central Bus Station have emerged a fortnight before its grand opening.

Hailed by Lord Mayor Michael Harbison as a new public transport gateway, the Franklin St station is owned by Adelaide City Council and managed by tourism operator, Sealink, under a three-year contract. It is to open on December 17.

Bus industry sources yesterday told The Advertiser that executives from one interstate-based company have described the new facility as "the worst bus station design ever, we've seen country stations better".

Problems include just one male toilet and one urinal for the whole station, only two female toilet cubicles, a lack of luggage storage areas and not enough room for all buses.

The 15-bay bus station is expected to service 300,000 passengers a year and operate daily from 7am to 9pm.

Growing concerns about the potential for "teething problems" have resulted in Sealink employing a special facility manager to ensure the station is suitable for up to 15 bus operators slated to use it.

The largest company set to move in is Premier Stateliner Coach Group. Customer services manager John Clarke said no move would be made until early next year.

Smaller operators would move in first to "allow any teething problems to be resolved at an early stage", he said. "We have seen plans and had a brief tour inside the bus station and there are things that concern us," Mr Clarke said yesterday.

"But I expect from our discussions with the facility manager that they will all be resolved well in advance (of us moving in). I'm not aware of any major issues that affect us but all the operators may find they need to alter their operation in some way that's different from the existing bus station or from whatever their operation currently is."

Sealink chief executive Jeff Ellison said problems raised by bus companies were "nothing we believe can't be sorted out".

Council's strategic property projects manager Alan Faunt said no issues "have been raised formally with me at this stage". He said the new "airport-style" station was a new concept for Adelaide and there would be teething problems.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#140 Post by Howie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:59 am

Once again .. Molehill > Mountain. I'm sure it'll be fantastic when it's open.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#141 Post by ynotsfables » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:31 am

crawf wrote:Bus industry sources yesterday told The Advertiser that executives from one interstate-based company have described the new facility as "the worst bus station design ever, we've seen country stations better
What arseholes. These are probably idiots that take pleasure bagging things just for the sake of pissing people off. Just like movie critics. not everyone likes to watch the same type of movies their judgments are purely subjective (and not to mention annoying.)

From what i've seen the complex is state of the art, and like any major project you're going to have teething problems which no doubt will be rectified.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#142 Post by Norman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Pic from yesterday
Attachments
P9240479.JPG
P9240479.JPG (366.66 KiB) Viewed 2990 times

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#143 Post by Will » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:43 pm

ynotsfables wrote:
crawf wrote:Bus industry sources yesterday told The Advertiser that executives from one interstate-based company have described the new facility as "the worst bus station design ever, we've seen country stations better
What arseholes. These are probably idiots that take pleasure bagging things just for the sake of pissing people off. Just like movie critics. not everyone likes to watch the same type of movies their judgments are purely subjective (and not to mention annoying.)

From what i've seen the complex is state of the art, and like any major project you're going to have teething problems which no doubt will be rectified.
What I found particularly sad, were the negative comments written under the article on AdelaideNow. Such comments show a face of the Adelaide psyche which needs to change. Here in Adelaide, people like to be negative for the sake of it. And the problem is that nothing we do will ever be good neough for these people. A classic example happened this weekend when i was in the city with some mates. Before the tram extension opened they would bag it as a waste of money, and that people would never use it. We used the new tram extension, and they finally agreed that they were wrong, however in classic Adelaide style, they started to bag that the tram was dodgy, that it was slow, and that it was crowded. Furthermore one even suggested that we should have bought bullet trains instead of the Bombardier Trams....

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#144 Post by frank1 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:56 pm

They sound like the same friends that i have. They go to melbourne and say how good the trams are and you can go anywhere, but as soon as i say that adelaide should have a tram network they say no it's a waste of money and we wouldn't use it. :evil:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#145 Post by crawf » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:22 pm

Will wrote:What I found particularly sad, were the negative comments written under the article on AdelaideNow. Such comments show a face of the Adelaide psyche which needs to change. Here in Adelaide, people like to be negative for the sake of it. And the problem is that nothing we do will ever be good neough for these people. A classic example happened this weekend when i was in the city with some mates. Before the tram extension opened they would bag it as a waste of money, and that people would never use it. We used the new tram extension, and they finally agreed that they were wrong, however in classic Adelaide style, they started to bag that the tram was dodgy, that it was slow, and that it was crowded. Furthermore one even suggested that we should have bought bullet trains instead of the Bombardier Trams....
I don't find it sad, its just the usual pathetic bullshit thats posted on AdelaideNow or even News Limited in general. Some people were even criticizing the $100,000 going to be spent on the Old Adelaide Gaol with one even saying fix up the current prisons before doing this when the State Government has already proposed to spend over $300m on new prisons.

Though sadly there is truth in your comment, however there is always rubbish being posted on AdelaideNow and on the other cities websites...

So glad S-A isn't like it

Dave_The_Planner
Gold-Member ;)

#146 Post by Dave_The_Planner » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:48 pm

I guess the negative comments come from a lack of understanding of how infrastructure works. I bet most people never took the time to see the plans before the trams were re-introduced north of Victoria Square. I don't think this form of criticism is unique to Adelaide either - there are plenty of people in Melbourne over the years who've been against the creation of their freeway system, but as soon as they use it and save time they love it.
Back to the bus station though - if they have not allowed for enough toilets and lockers, that would appear to be a rather embarrassing oversight. I'm not so sure about it being as bad as what the media have portrayed it to be. I'm looking forward to having a look when it opens and I'm damn sure it will be 1000% better than what we've got now!

duke
High Rise Poster!

#147 Post by duke » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:04 pm

At the front of the bus terminal on the left side there is a closed off area with something like 4 people size doors with a bus size roof. Anyone know what this area is going to be used for?

Also when I was walking past there were these two middle aged women walk past. I heard them say "yeah thats the new bus terminal" She points to the old building. Then she said "Did you hear they have ONLY two toilets for the whole building. I just don't get people these days."

When I first read the article about the number of toilets it didn't seem that good. But then when you see the size of the place and the number of seats its probably easily enough. The people that complain should go clubbing sometime. People consuming lots of fluid and limited toilets. :)

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#148 Post by Howie » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:14 pm

Did they mention how big the toilets were?? Number of cubicles etc? As you say some of our clubbing establishments only have one toilet and they generally have half a dozen or more cubicles.

MGR
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#149 Post by MGR » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:23 pm

duke wrote:At the front of the bus terminal on the left side there is a closed off area with something like 4 people size doors with a bus size roof. Anyone know what this area is going to be used for?

extra toilets perhaps? :mrgreen:

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#150 Post by bmw boy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:15 am

An article a couple of pages back states the bus station will be opening on december 17, anyone know if it has?